Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

This is a discussion on Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fraud, waste and abuse are things gov't agencies must avoid and the citizenry must keenly look out for. While I did not see evidence of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

VIP Member
    Fraud, waste and abuse are things gov't agencies must avoid and the citizenry must keenly look out for. While I did not see evidence of fraud in the article, there was much waste and abuse.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I didn't read anything about cracks.
    If the pistols were working properly before, it's very likely that new recoil and magazine springs would have returned them to reliable function.
    Small parts breakage (sights) could be attributed to MIM parts?
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So a state agency can afford Kimbers? I'd hate to be a taxpayer there.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

JD
    Administrator
    This is nothing new with Kimbers, I don't know what their malfunction is but it's not uncommon to hear of entire runs of bad pistols. Some of it is crappy MIM parts, now not all MIM parts are crappy, but Kimber just can't seem to get it right on a reliable basis. Some of it's poor QC, I've had two pistols with incorrectly cut fee ramps and have read more of the same from reliable sources such as 10-8.

I Will not deny that when a Kimber runs right it runs very well, but when you get the one's that don't it makes you want to slit your wrists. I'm talking with two guys right now having issues with their guns, one's a Stainless Raptor Pro II, the other a Custom Target II in 9mm, unfortunately both seem inclined to try and fix the guns themselves or have other outfits do the fixing, which is what I did with my three Kimbers that were buggy, I made a mistake in doing so, if Kimber is never held accountable for these POC guns, they're never going to change.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Yes, I would have liked to have purchased one of those worthless Sig 220's when they came on the market. Sigh.
    Ps. "Cracks" as in cracks in their reputation.
    I've renamed the thread to be inline with the above quote.

When I was considering a 1911 to carry I looked very hard at the Pro Carry II. The weight and looks really got my attention. On the flip slide the fact that they wont even look at a gun with issues until you run 175 bucks worth of ammo through it made my attention go else where.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

My kimber isn't perfect, most of it most likely my fault. A marine put 60 something round through it perfectly. I've checked my Ultra Carry for any odd things and the thing looks beautiful. Is this a problem ALL Kimbers have, or is it just hit or miss?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    My kimber isn't perfect, most of it most likely my fault. A marine put 60 something round through it perfectly. I've checked my Ultra Carry for any odd things and the thing looks beautiful. Is this a problem ALL Kimbers have, or is it just hit or miss?
    It's more hit and miss, there are more happy end users out there than unhappy but the number of unhappy users is starting to grow or so it seems of late.

I see. Mine is still under review though. I wasn't using as tight of a grip as I should have, so it should work fine now. Waiting to go shooting again.

I had two Kimbers and still have one. I also have a Springfield TRP and it was a much better gun out of the box that either the TLE 2 or the Raptor. The Raptor is gone the TLE had some hiccups that I had fixed at a local gunsmith. The Springfield has been pretty much flawless. For what the Kimber costs it really should be better, I wish I would have bought a Taurus 1911 instead of either Kimber. I think I want to go to work for that agency.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Dry mode on - "Shocking" - Dry mode off.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Way back when, as a kid, my dad was a small town Chevy dealer (dad was owner, salesman, mom was the bookkeeper, 2 mechanics & a bodyman, and I was the gopher, car warsher and shop sweeper. Some cars came in new and were pretty much flawless, some were just lemons from day one and remained so--go figure!! It did teach me though, that some vehicles (or pistols, or rifles or airplanes, etc, etc) are just lemons and not the norm.

I have two Kimber Raptor pro's and one Kimber raptor ultra. Only problem has been magazine related--wilson mags fixed that.....they all shoot quite a bit better than my 30+ year old Commander (but don't even ask--it's not for sale either)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    I've never had an issue out of my pro CDP or Gold Combat. Then again, I don't think I've shot either in 5 or 6 years. But, I'm pretty sure Kimber is suffering the fate of a bad business practice that causes a lot of businesses (Gun related or not) to fail; getting to big to fast, and not being able to maintain quality of the bread and butter product. They have so much crap in their line up, most of which is focused on looking good. (they failed there too)
    I think the best Kimbers are still the Classic models. The first series Classic Royal is a fantastic pistol, they should have stuck with that.

As for the quick lifespan of a duty weapon, its done for a few reasons. The main one being liability. Sometimes it costs far less to spend money for somebody else to carry certain types of liabilty.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 21st, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have said before; I have had three Kimbers. All functioned excellent with FMJ and all sucked with JHPs. They became reliable after 3 trips to Kimber and local smith. I shoot mine in competition with a few guys whose Kimbers never fail. I am just hardheaded about using JHPs (reloads). If they functioned out of the box on JHPs as well as FMJ I would praise them like a Glock. BTW . . . Most accurate and comfortable guns to shoot at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    they wont even look at a gun with issues until you run 175 bucks worth of ammo through it

You hear this a lot ... but the only time I ever had to call Kimber for support, they didn't ask how many rounds I'd fed it ... instead, they immediately issued me a label to return the weapon (on their dime) so they could fix it (nothing big, just some ejector tuning).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links