Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

This is a discussion on Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never owned a Kimber so I won't chime in on the quality of their pistols. But what a scam this department has going ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

I have never owned a Kimber so I won't chime in on the quality of their pistols. But what a scam this department has going on. We are a fairly large state agency and we use our Sig pistols for a minimum of 12-15 years before we even think about getting a new one. When that happens, the agent who currently has that pistol may purchase it for about half of what they would go for new. Seems like a reasonable price for a heavily used gun.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

2. Remove Ads

To each his own. I've never had a problem with my Kimber, I love it, and wouldn't trade it. I know a lot of people who love Sigs--and I know a LEO who carried one as a duty weapon on a different force than the one he is currently on. He said he'd never carry a Sig again, as they were constantly giving them problems and were falling apart! Like I said, to each his own.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberUltra View Post
    I see. Mine is still under review though. I wasn't using as tight of a grip as I should have, so it should work fine now. Waiting to go shooting again.
    By any chance are you referring to "limp-wristing"? I had a beautiful Colt Defender and limp-wristed that sucker over and over. Lots of help from pros in overcoming limp-wristing (particularly humbling since I have been a weight-lifter for forty years). I was getting better but a little voice in my head told me that the day I was in extremis would be the day I started limp-wristing again. No more Ultra's, no more compact 45's.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Dry mode on - "Shocking" - Dry mode off.
    ????
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Kimber (credit where credit is due) has a great marketing program though...and beautiful, crisp, full page color ads in the gun ragazines but, they are way overpriced for the actual physical gun that you get for the numbers of $$$ expended.
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again.

If they took half the money they spend in advertising, and put it into quality control, they'd probably be one of the best production 1911s out there...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsong View Post
    You hear this a lot ... but the only time I ever had to call Kimber for support, they didn't ask how many rounds I'd fed it ... instead, they immediately issued me a label to return the weapon (on their dime) so they could fix it (nothing big, just some ejector tuning).
    That was the complete opposite experience that I had. I got questioned like I was stupid and asked if I shot 500 rounds through it yet. That would be a good thing if they changed from my experience.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    ...I know a LEO who carried one as a duty weapon on a different force than the one he is currently on. He said he'd never carry a Sig again, as they were constantly giving them problems and were falling apart!...
    Do you know what model of Sig this was, and/or which department?

A lot of folks who use guns HARD use Sigs, and have done so for many years. My agency has been running them for close to 20 years, and we have never had any sort of endemic problems. Of course with so many guns and so many rounds fired, we have things break from time to time, but never has there been a blanket complaint from anyone (or from anyone I know that uses/services Sigs for a department/agency) that they are inherently problematic... It would be interesting if there was such a situation out there somewhere...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Fraud, waste and abuse are things gov't agencies must avoid and the citizenry must keenly look out for. While I did not see evidence of fraud in the article, there was much waste and abuse.
    Fraud, waste and abuse are the things that Government does best.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Do you know what model of Sig this was, and/or which department?

A lot of folks who use guns HARD use Sigs, and have done so for many years. My agency has been running them for close to 20 years, and we have never had any sort of endemic problems. Of course with so many guns and so many rounds fired, we have things break from time to time, but never has there been a blanket complaint from anyone (or from anyone I know that uses/services Sigs for a department/agency) that they are inherently problematic... It would be interesting if there was such a situation out there somewhere...
    Sorry, I don't know what model Sig they were using. I was surprised by his comment, because I had always heard great things about Sigs and my wife had considered getting one for herself, but they were a bit out of her price range. I'll send you a pm with the name of the agency.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Look I have owned many 1911's. While I know that I don't know nearly as much about them as some of the others on this forum that have already spoken I don't have a problem with Kimbers. I guess it comes down to personal exspierinces. I own a couple kimbers in my 1911 collection and they have all been 100% problem free. I don't own any of the cheaper models though if that makes a difference. In fact I have only had three 1911's that "didn't make the cut" and all of them were after years of use. 1. A norinco that I got used and after my 2000 rounds it just let go (it was a 40,000-50,000 round gun so it wasn't a big deal. 2. an auto ordanace that I put together years back that was just a cheapy it had all kinds of issues. 3. An AMT hardballer built into a race gun (don't ask why it kept getting put back together after it would blow up I can't tell you why sometimes I don't know when to stop). I guess the point is I think the kimbers are just about perfectly priced and are a good gun for the money.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I guess it comes down to personal exspierinces. I own a couple kimbers in my 1911 collection and they have all been 100% problem free.
    That's exactly it. Their only real problem is quality control (or lack thereof). Kimbers are hit or miss. The good ones are very good production guns. It's just that so many bad ones slip through their fingers and into the end-user's hands. Tightened quality control measures will help this.

Maybe they'll ship a few less units. But the amount of time they will save on warranty repairs will more than make up for it. And most of their troubleshooters can then be put into the original production process, and their shipped units will be as high as ever, but with better quality OTD.

I used a Custom Target II SS out of the box for IPSEC about 8 years ago and the only time it jammed on me wa when I did not seat the mag all the way during quick loads in competitions. Other than that I had no break in period. I shot it for 3 years in competition (about 500 rounds a month plus a few hundred more for practice) and never had a stove pipe or FTE. Sold it last year when I moved to a ccw state as I did not want to carry it due to size, weight and target sights that would snag. Was tempted to buy another but I too have read too many negative things. Seems like since they have greatly expanded their line and production, they are not as reliable as they used to be. WHen I got mine it was THE .45 to get to shoot stock at my gun club much as the glock 34/17 was the 9mm gun.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So a state agency can afford Kimbers? I'd hate to be a taxpayer there.
    They got the money from "drug and alcohol-related" seizures. A nice example of the unconstitutional "drug war" giving incentive to cops to take your property without due process and turn around and spend it on nice new toys every few years. This story is disgusting on many levels.

After reading all of these issues with expensive 1911s, my used RIA 1911 with 6 mags and holster for $300 is looking better all the time. Pre-broken in by the previous owner. It's run perfectly for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links