Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

This is a discussion on Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure there will be a hornet's nest here. For all the genuine praise I have heard about Kimber products, there is also a small ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

Distinguished Member

Kimber Reputation Takes Another Hit.

I'm sure there will be a hornet's nest here. For all the genuine praise I have heard about Kimber products, there is also a small but ardent group of naysayers. Since getting serious about handguns six years ago I have noticed a constant thread of "a break in period of four or five hundred rounds and maybe a trip back to Kimber to tweak this or that and I have a real winner." Here is an article from the Charlotte Observer on one small state agency dropping their Kimbers (so to speak): Costly ALE guns fail, get traded - CharlotteObserver.com
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Kimbers, the guns I love to hate, I want one of every line they have but will probably never own another....maybe a Solo but never one of their 1911s.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

Kimbers, the guns I love to hate, I want one of every line they have but will probably never own another....maybe a Solo but never one of their 1911s.
    Ditto!!!! If they'd just shoot as pretty as they look!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    I got 2 OLD Colts(1984-85 vintage)and I'll stick with the Pony Guns when it comes to "affordable"1911's. Love the Ed Brown's and Les Baer's , but my Publisher's Clearing check hasn't arrived yet!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Administrator
    Due to the manufacturing technique used to produce Kimber pistols and their parts they SHOULD be offered out in the marketplace as a great, nice looking, "low dollar" budget priced handgun.
    Kimber (credit where credit is due) has a great marketing program though...and beautiful, crisp, full page color ads in the gun ragazines but, they are way overpriced for the actual physical gun that you get for the numbers of $$$ expended.

Just my personal opinion on that. Some folks will obviously not agree with my opinion. That's OK with me.
    C hawk Glock, JD, TX-JB and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Due to the manufacturing technique used to produce Kimber pistols and their parts they SHOULD be offered out in the marketplace as a great, nice looking, "low dollar" budget priced handgun.
    Kimber (credit where credit is due) has a great marketing program though...and beautiful, crisp, full page color ads in the gun ragazines but, they are way overpriced for the actual physical gun that you get for the numbers of $$$ expended.

Just my personal opinion on that. Some folks will obviously not agree with my opinion. That's OK with me.
    The folks that will agree are the enlightened ones......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I had a Kimber Eclipse once, keyword HAD! Never again and especially at that price!
    God bless our troops!

Good lord, read the article. The real crime is the state's smallest agency buying high end guns every year and a half, and selling them back to agents for as little as a buck! These are beer cops, not a SWAT team. I wonder how much kickback was involved?

BTW, never saw anywhere in the article about the guns cracking. And, no, I don't own any Kimbers.
    joker1 likes this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Looks like quite a scam that agency has going.
    joker1 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    But hey, at least there's a way for someone to get a Kimber for about what it's worth.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Yes, I would have liked to have purchased one of those worthless Sig 220's when they came on the market. Sigh.
    Ps. "Cracks" as in cracks in their reputation.

Distinguished Member

VIP Member
    I prefer my Colt 1911 Series 80 Goverment's, like Old Grunt. I had a Kimber Tactical Ultra that was flawless. I got rid of it to fund something else. They are overpriced. I'm not a fan or a hater, but another one's not on my wishlist...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I must have an emgina in my Kimber Gold combat Stainless II, in .45 ACP. I just traded for it from a friend of mine. In testing it before I traded for it I shot some groups that impressed me.
    I was shooting 200 Gr LSWC wiht 5,0 grains of Bullseye.

After the trade we went to my friends house and looked at some test targets his Les Baur and Wilson's came with. Maybe I was lucky but my groups were the same size of the groups on the test targets that came with his Les Baur and Wilson's pistols.

I was a "dyed in the wool" COLT guy when it came to 1911's but this one changed my mind.

I also aquired a Kimber Pro Tec II in .45 ACP. Shooting at 15 yards off a sandbag rest using Speer 230 Gr Gold Dot Hollow Points It put 5 shots just under an inch. (15/16 center to center).
    Maybe I have the only two good shooting Kimber they ever made? they both outshoot any Colts I have ever had.

I guess I prefer that my guns are blued and not painted, or stainless and not rusty. I like the heritage of the Colt. Even though the new Series 70 colt I got last fall wasn't perfect. The barrel was not machined right and it had a very sloppy barrel to bushing fit. I didn't get around to sending it in until a couple months ago though and should have it back next week hopefully. Colt did come through however. They're putting a stainless national match barrel and fitting an EGW bushing to it + a trigger tune for free, plus I asked for white dot sights like the 1991 rather than just black and they're doing all of that for no charge. I'm paying to have the slide de-horned and thats it. I'm anxious to give a range report and post more pictures when I get it back. Unfortunately flaws happen with production pistols no matter what the brand is. (EVEN GLOCK - what was the deal about springs lately? and I've seen them malfunction) The fact remains though I wanted to love Kimbers but I just can't. My friends that have owned them have had trouble too. They don't speak to me and fit my hand the way a blued Colt Government Model does. Besides, I'm a sucker for a deep blue, which as it wears it retains its beauty. Kimbers don't age that gracefully imho when the finish starts chipping. And they'll always be just a Kimber.

Edit - Ok WOW. Now that I read that story it clarifies why our country is in real dire straights financially. The fact that they can issue new weapons every few years and sell the old ones for pennies on the dollar should raise some REAL budget red flags. Though I'm not a kimber fan I do belive they can be tuned into a very serviceable weapon, or they could chose any other platform be it Glock, HK, Sig, S&W which SHOULD be good to go for tens of thousands of rounds. Being the small department they are and with their line of work I'm sure they don't shoot that much, that often. In the US military in the 80's you could be issued a weapon your grandpa used so theres no reason a small time LE branch needs new guns every few years. Manufacturer warranties expiring is a lame excuse also - thats why you get someone trained as an armorer and let them keep things going while still working with the manufacturer when needed.
    joker1 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links