SP-101 Cylinder Locked Up

This is a discussion on SP-101 Cylinder Locked Up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Haystacker Still happier than a pig in a new mud puddle with my sp! It is only temporary...true happiness will come when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SP-101 Cylinder Locked Up

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Still happier than a pig in a new mud puddle with my sp!
    It is only temporary...true happiness will come when you sell it to me. Only then, will you truly be happy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From my decades with revolvers, I’ve never had a problem with my S&W’s and two Colts. Then again, I only use top shelf ammo and all of my guns have been somewhat refined. As mentioned, have the trigger assembly (and more) inspected by a reputable gunsmith. Granted, that’s easier said than done but there are few still left.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I had a pair of Security Six revolvers in my early days as a lawman.
    Loaned one out and the fellow officer (read tom fool idjut) slammed the cylinder shut like a TV detective.
    Bent the crane.
    It worked fine until the second cylinderful went downrange, then heat expanded it longways and it bound up against the back of the barrel.
    Sent it back to the factory, Ruger repaired it, no charge.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Update:

I finally got a chance to bring it back to the shop I bought it from. I told them the issue and the shop owner fired it. It fired flawlessly both .38 and .357. He did find that the timing was off and that the firing pin was not centered. He is sending it back to ruger for me. Anyone have experience with ruger customer service? How long do you think it will take them to fix the problem?

VIP Member
    No, but according to some here, you will be well taken care of, and it usually sounded as though the wait is not too long or arduous.

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them, it is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that imthe people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is ‘needed’ before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ interests, I shall reply that I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can." Barry Goldwater
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Dealer sent back my SP101 due to " lock up " problems and I had it back in ten days! They did three things to it including " adjusting the barrel"-- whatever that means. Works fine now.

You shouldn't ask such things, gunsmiths have things called hammers and _ _ rods and use them in unspeakable ways. Never watch a gunsmith work on your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmiter View Post
    First of all, this is NOT an ammo issue. I posted the answer in post #8.

Re: The subject line.

What made you think the cylinder was locked up? Did you not notice that the trigger was stuck? Didn’t the fact that the trigger was stuck, which should have been the first indication of a problem give you a hint that this JUST MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM. The subject line is very misleading.

Of course the cylinder was locked up. It is always locked up when the trigger if full back, whether the gun is cocked, or the trigger is held back by the user, or is genuinely stuck. . It is in the design of ANY revolver with the trigger full back.

Now, if you don’t know how to do this yourself, take it to a ‘smith for cleaning of the trigger assembly. Be sure you have him polish the transfer bar as well.
    I think everyone went right on by that.... I think you are right on the money.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Ruger's service is one of the best. You probably will see a turn around time of 10 days.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links