SP-101 Cylinder Locked Up

This is a discussion on SP-101 Cylinder Locked Up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I was at the range shooting my new ruger sp-101 today and I had a problem. After shooting a couple winchester super x ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SP-101 Cylinder Locked Up

Hi everyone,

I was at the range shooting my new ruger sp-101 today and I had a problem. After shooting a couple winchester super x .357 jacket soft points the cylinder locked up. The trigger was all the way back and would not reset and I could not get the cylinder to swing out. After pushing on the cylinder release button a bunch of times in different ways it finally swung out and I went back to shooting. The sp-101 shot .38 wadcutters flawlessly, I only had this problem with the .357's. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your input.

Happened to me in my SP101 .327. I was shooting 32's and it locked up. I pushed, pulled, etc., and nothing happened and it wouldn't release the empty cases. Finally, I pressed down on the cylinder and made sure the cases were flush against the cylinder and that did it. The cases came out and it didn't happen again. But I am going to track it for some time, you can be sure. Good luck.

Shot my SP for the first time today. Shot 158g JSp from PMC. I had no problems other than WOW! recoil. Shot some hand loaded 38 specials which was real nice.

A couple of thoughts about your prob - were you able to inspect the 357 fired cases? What did the primers look like? Any chance one of them blew out?

Did you get to inspect any rounds that were in the cylinder when it locked up? Any chance of a bullet jumping it's crimp?

Just my initial thoughts. Hope I don't sound like a know it all. Good luck to you. I sure enjoy my new toy.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by kf16 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was at the range shooting my new ruger sp-101 today and I had a problem. After shooting a couple winchester super x .357 jacket soft points the cylinder locked up. The trigger was all the way back and would not reset and I could not get the cylinder to swing out. After pushing on the cylinder release button a bunch of times in different ways it finally swung out and I went back to shooting. The sp-101 shot .38 wadcutters flawlessly, I only had this problem with the .357's. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your input.
    Sounds like cylinder gap is too tight. Lead and powder buildup will make cylinder and forcing cone bind. JMO

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Sounds like cylinder gap is too tight. Lead and powder buildup will make cylinder and forcing cone bind. JMO
    Good thought, or it could be debris under the extractor, but that usually doesn't happen until you've shot a lot without cleaning.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Aside from debris, B/C gap, cylinder endshake or headspace could be the problem.
    I have the various specs from "The GP100 Book of Knowledge", but I don't know if they are the same for an SP101.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That happened to me in my Ruger Service Six one time and when I inspected the rounds in the cylinder when it happened there was a very small thin "ribbon" of brass attached to the back of the rounds that bound everything up. That was with Remmington .357 Mag range rounds and its the only time I've ever had that happen. I don't expect much out of range rounds, but I've started looking at them pretty good before tossing them in the chamber.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Well, from the OP, the key is the trigger was stuck back.

This creates two problems. First the firing pin is still imbedded in the primer as the transfer bar is still elevated. Second. Since the transfer bar is still elevated, it is blocking the cylincer release button.

The problem as I see it is the return spring on the trigger. Not an ammo issue. The spring itself will most likely be ok, but the channel and associated parts may need a fluff and buff and oiling.

Chris

did you try shooting the .357's again? any problems?
    Try shooting another brand .357's?

In the future remember to clean out the grease bwtn the cylinder and the rod it spins around - it took awhile, but eventually the grease + gunk made it very hard to pull the trigger and cleaning that part of the gun wasn't in my owner's manual.

So much for revolvers never jam, huh?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You're killing the revolvers-are-more-reliable-than-pistols myth!
    oneshot and TomInJax like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I didn't try to shoot the .357's after I got it un-jammed. I went back to shooting the .38's with no issues. Next time I go to the range I will shoot some more .357's and see what happens. The gun was brand new out of the box, I did give it a quick lube before I took it out. I just can't figure out why the trigger was stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Shot my SP for the first time today. Shot 158g JSp from PMC. I had no problems other than WOW! recoil. Shot some hand loaded 38 specials which was real nice.

A couple of thoughts about your prob - were you able to inspect the 357 fired cases? What did the primers look like? Any chance one of them blew out?

Did you get to inspect any rounds that were in the cylinder when it locked up? Any chance of a bullet jumping it's crimp?

Just my initial thoughts. Hope I don't sound like a know it all. Good luck to you. I sure enjoy my new toy.
    Jeff, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in any of your other threads about your SP101, but I think you seriously need to sell it to me. You'll never be happy with it (LOL).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

First of all, this is NOT an ammo issue. I posted the answer in post #8.

Re: The subject line.

What made you think the cylinder was locked up? Did you not notice that the trigger was stuck? Didn’t the fact that the trigger was stuck, which should have been the first indication of a problem give you a hint that this JUST MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM. The subject line is very misleading.

Of course the cylinder was locked up. It is always locked up when the trigger if full back, whether the gun is cocked, or the trigger is held back by the user, or is genuinely stuck. . It is in the design of ANY revolver with the trigger full back.

Now, if you don’t know how to do this yourself, take it to a ‘smith for cleaning of the trigger assembly. Be sure you have him polish the transfer bar as well.

Any updates on what went wrong? Since some believe they know for sure what is wrong and others are just guessing (me), I am very curious what you found.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Jeff, I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in any of your other threads about your SP101, but I think you seriously need to sell it to me. You'll never be happy with it (LOL).
    Still happier than a pig in a new mud puddle with my sp!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links