TRUGLO T/FO "Bright-Site" sights on a P226R DAK - pics of course...

This is a discussion on TRUGLO T/FO "Bright-Site" sights on a P226R DAK - pics of course... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’ve tried fiber optic sights before but concluded they weren’t suitable for SD. Now that might sound surprising but what you see at an outdoor ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock

Thread: TRUGLO T/FO "Bright-Site" sights on a P226R DAK - pics of course...

Senior Moderator

I’ve tried fiber optic sights before but concluded they weren’t suitable for SD. Now that might sound surprising but what you see at an outdoor or indoor range for that matter, is bright FO dots. But, since most SD occurs in subdued lighting, those bright sights aren’t there for us. But I decided to try them one more time, so I ordered a set of TRUGLO’s T/FO sights for my P226R DAK.

I removed the stock sights, installed the T/FOs and the first thing I noticed was how high they sit off the gun, as seen here – oh, and try to ignore the dog hair on the slide, I didn’t see that until I uploaded:

Well, I figured I could take that up with TRUGLO Monday and headed off to the range.

I checked the sights for ‘zero’ at 3 yards and noticed they were shooting pretty low and a bit to the right. So I grabbed my sight pusher and tweaked the front sight to the right just a wee bit. Looks pretty good so I run the target out to 7 yards and get a hit low and completely off the 2 inch Shoot-N-C

So, I visually check the sights and see nothing wrong or that I can do to raise the point of impact other than hold high. I had to hold so high, right at the top edge of the target, that I could just see a bit of the top curve of the black circle. But that seemed to at least put the hits on target and I got this (among others, but this is representative):

Oh, and that hit off the lower right target was my 50th shot and was due to

A. bad ammo
    B. the gun messed up
    C. someone in another lane shot at the same time I did
    D. that's a flier (whatever that is)
    E. or I missed

Well you can pick. Bad ammo makes sense to me

As far as the sights themselves go – the ‘glow’ I really liked them. Although I did a lot of blade and notch alignment, now I'm wondering if I even shot by the dots. Well, I can notice that the next time. Oh, BTW, I love the blade and notch widths.

They still have the same issue I described above, but hopefully the Tritium part will help with that.

These things sit too high for a SD gun, my opinion, but if TRUGLO has a fix for that and a lower front sight or higher rear sight we might have something.

And, I can't say enough about the Sig P226R DAK. It is an absolute dream to shoot. I was re-amazed with it.
    snakyjake likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

The factory night sights on my P229R-EQ have a gap under the sights nearly identical to yours.

Thanks for the review. I really hope that gap isn't there by design; if it is, it seems like really bad design. Sights should sit flush (IMO).

VIP Member
    I know it sounds stupid, but that gap would drive me nuts.
    TX-JB likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

los
    or,...

F. Someone in another lane shot at YOUR target.

Good shoot'n Tangle.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Good Luck with the sights. That gap would bother me, too.

It's been a long day for me and this may sound stupid but, aren't you supposed to tweak the rear sight to the right to correct shooting right?
    Could the sights be designed for a center of dot = center of target hold, instead of a 6 o'clock hold?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    or,...

Good shoot'n Tangle.
    Thanks los. You know it's interesting you posted that. Last Thursday after I shot my final rounds, I reeled my target in. I took a look at it and here was this hit in the upper right corner. I thought, "Wow, I really let that one get away from me." Then I noticed two things: one, I had five shots on all my Shoot-N-Cs (or very near them), and two, my bullets leave a very distinct hole 'signature' and that upper right one didn't have it. The guy in the lane to my right had shot my target.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Good Luck with the sights. That gap would bother me, too.

It's been a long day for me and this may sound stupid but, aren't you supposed to tweak the rear sight to the right to correct shooting right?
    Could the sights be designed for a center of dot = center of target hold, instead of a 6 o'clock hold?
    Yep, it does bother me; if they weren't so long it would be a little different - more about that in a response further down.

If you look at the gun from the top, you tweak the rear sight in the direction you want the impact to go, i.e. left to make the bullet hit left. You tweak the front sight in the direction of the impact to make it go the other way. IOW, the rear goes in the direction you want to move the bullet to, the front is moved the opposite direction you want the bullet to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerMan View Post
    The factory night sights on my P229R-EQ have a gap under the sights nearly identical to yours.
    I checked a couple of my other guns with night sights. The Heinies sit flush, the rears of the Trijicons do have a similar gap, but it is a much shorter sight so I guess it's not as noticeable. All the front sights are flush, except one, and it was just barely off flush.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I really hope that gap isn't there by design; if it is, it seems like really bad design. Sights should sit flush (IMO).
    That's what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I know it sounds stupid, but that gap would drive me nuts.
    Me too, except I've been told that I could walk that short distance.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    or,...

Good shoot'n Tangle.

Tangle is all ways a good shot and a good sport as well!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links