My experience with the XD-40 S.

This is a discussion on My experience with the XD-40 S. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you have seen my thread with the photo of my XD, I got some questions and though I would open a dif thread ...

Thread: My experience with the XD-40 S.

Some of you have seen my thread with the photo of my XD, I got some questions and though I would open a dif thread on where I carry my XD, how it shoots, the holster I use, and how switching from a Glock to an XD has improved my shooting/accuracy (For me, not everyone). Later I will post pictures if I get the chance.

Holster: Isotope 7, I prefer this over the Crossbreed holster due to how easy it it to take off and put on and offers a little more retention then the crossbreed knowing my XD is secure.

Comparing the grip to the grip of a Glock (reason why Im comparing it to a Glock is because they both have similar features but are dif) I find the XD the better option to shooters considering leaving the 1911 due to the same grip axis of a 1911 allowing the shooter to retain most of his/her's accuracy. The dif grip axis on the Glock is dif then most handguns and people switching to a Glock for their first time might find that they will need a lot of range time to improve accuracy (Not saying all people are like this but with input from local LEO's, armed guards, and the average citizen find it hard to adjust to accurate shooting due to there experience of owning a Glock for their first time).

The Glock's barrel is closer to the lower frame then the XD's barrel to its lower frame. Most handguns are seated higher above the frame then the Glock, which might be why accurate shootings are not acheived right away. With the handling of both a Glock and the XD I find the XD more accurate (I to myself) then the Glock due to the barrel being seated higher.

The XD is heavier then the Glock which helps with control of the weapon. The lower frame of the XD is heavier then the Glock lower frame as well. When you pick of both weapons you can feel the dif.

Most Glock models compared in the caliber of the .40SW or 9mm do carry more due to its wider grip.

The XD has two features allowing the user to know its loaded(you should know when your gun is loaded anyways) on the top frame a small slide below the exit chamber props up allowing the user to feel or see it, also on the back plate of the XD a indicater sticks out allowing the user to feel or see it as well. Glock has one loaded indicator which is on the right side of the frame next to the exit chamber.

I will upload photos later due to the failure of my Droid X waging war on my computer and transfering photos.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I chose the SA XD40 SC over the Glock 23 that I went to purchase due to the feel of the gun when I held it in my hand. I love my XD also.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Just a small point - the indicator on the back of the slide is the striker indicator - it tells you the gun is "cocked", it does not indicate there's are round in the chamber.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I chose the SA XD40 SC over the Glock 23 that I went to purchase due to the feel of the gun when I held it in my hand. I love my XD also.
    I did the same thing. I went to a gun show after shooting a buddy's G23 a bit and was going to buy one...until I held the XD40sc. It's worked out very well for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Just a small point - the indicator on the back of the slide is the striker indicator - it tells you the gun is "cocked", it does not indicate there's are round in the chamber.
    You are right, forgot bout that
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member
    I think the grip of my XD40SC feels better than my G26 because of the curved backstrap. It's makes the trigger distance shorter which improves grip and trigger control. I also have a G19 and XD45. I like each of them for their own characteristics.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Isotope 7 holster and were I carry it
    Attached Images

Sponsored Links