Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again. - Page 2

Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again.

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all due respect - if you cannot expect these guns to work reliably after only 50 rounds worth of soot, how can you expect ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again.

With all due respect - if you cannot expect these guns to work reliably after only 50 rounds worth of soot, how can you expect them to work with the typical dust and lint that pocket carry generates? (these guns were intended for pocket duty). I've fired over 200 rounds in a session through my LCPs, and straight from my pocket with no cleaning.

Sounds to me like Sig needs to fix your gun. My last LCP had some issues, and had to go back to Ruger twice. The second time, I asked them to test it with 100 rounds before shipping it back to me...and they did (their usual protocol is to test with only 24 rounds). The gun is fine now - after being practically rebuilt except for the frame. Did Ruger lose money? I'm sure they did...but I'm a happy (and loyal) customer. At their price point, Sig had better do at least as much for you. Just changing a spring ain't gonna cut it.

JMHO.
    justherenow, Bark'n and aznav like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
    I doubt Sig will replace it unless there is some major failure - structural.

Back in the day I had all the same problems asked for replacement & denied - sent in - came back - fail - asked for replacement & denied - sent in - came back - fail - asked for replacement & denied - sent in - came back - fail - asked for replacement & denied - sent in - they said they were going to fix it and then it went ugly on my side and got the manager and wet around and around with her and around again - this was factually based in her face relentless recounting of failures over 1,400 rounds and I finally got a replacement.
    They're catching a ton of heat on the 238s, you may find they're a little more willing. I didn't even have to ask for a replacement. The guy can ask, it surely won't hurt.

It's too bad to hear this about the P238. I really like the look, size and feel of this little pistol and really want to get one. But with all these more than normal issues I keep hearing about. It has me holding off on getting one. Hopefully Sig will get these issues resolved soon.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    It's too bad to hear this about the P238. I really like the look, size and feel of this little pistol and really want to get one. But with all these more than normal issues I keep hearing about. It has me holding off on getting one. Hopefully Sig will get these issues resolved soon.
    There's always the re-issue of the Colt Mustang, should be coming back out relatively soon with features to better compete against the P238.

I had a friend looking at the 238's I told him there are major issues with reliability,he took my word for it so by word of mouth Sig lost a sale
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Update: I called Sig this morning and explained the situation. Their answer is for me to send it in again. I explained that I am not confident in this weapon and that I don't want it back if I cannot trust it to fire in a real emergency.

I am waiting now for the return postage label, that the CS rep said that he would email to me.

Wish me luck.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomInJax View Post
    I am waiting now for the return postage label, that the CS rep said that he would email to me.
    Update: The P238 in question is now delivered to the Sig Sauer factory. I am interested in what they will choose to do to remedy this situation.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomInJax View Post
    Update: The P238 in question is now delivered to the Sig Sauer factory. I am interested in what they will choose to do to remedy this situation.

Tom
    Sorry for your troubles, but I'm having issues with my P238 also. I purchased the "tactical" version with the Sig laser back in July 2010, and I purchased 3 Sig OEM magazines.

As of now (Mar 2011) I've had the laser replaced, 3 magazines replaced (one blew out the floor plate!), the recoil spring replaced, and grip screws too since they got loose and i lost one at the range. Now I'm still having FTE problems, and I'm about to call Sig again. They probably recognize my number on their caller ID or recognize my voice.
    Plans? Why make plans when you can do things haphazardly?

Florida Shooters Network
    Map of Central FL gun shops

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I run all my guns "wet" and clean. Not overlubed but wet rails even with the Glocks. For me this has vurtually eliminated any problems and the very few problems I have had over the years have been traced to the magazines. Just sayin.
    +1
    This has been my standard procedure for over 23 years now.
    In my job I work on machinery and can tell you medal on medal without lube is bad,period!YES even for Glocks.
    With smaller guns it even more so because the feed ramps are steeper and the slides are shorter (read bind easier than long ones) so
    the springs and slides need all the help you can give them to do their job right.
    1911_Kimber likes this.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

just got one hope its good
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you have a defensive handgun that after the first 100 rounds or so has been deemed unreliable by its owner and is now in for a 2nd trip to the factory repair shop, then that handgun needs to be sold and not used for self-defense. I would negotiate with Sig Sauer for them to send you a brand new Sig Sauer P232 or P290.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    If you have a defensive handgun that after the first 100 rounds or so has been deemed unreliable by its owner and is now in for a 2nd trip to the factory repair shop, then that handgun needs to be sold and not used for self-defense. I would negotiate with Sig Sauer for them to send you a brand new Sig Sauer P232 or P290.
    That makes perfect sense, but not my experience with Sig, sorry. Some have been lucky but we will have to see what TomInJax ends up with here in a few weeks.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
    That makes perfect sense, but not my experience with Sig, sorry. Some have been lucky but we will have to see what TomInJax ends up with here in a few weeks.
    I don't have experience with Sig Sauer customer service at all since I don't own any, but I would think that they would prefer to avoid a possible lawsuit since their handgun is malfunctioning and could pose a serious liability to the owner.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I looked at one of these before buying my Glock, the sales guy even was pushing it kinda hard, glad I did not buy into what he had to say.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I looked at one of these before buying my Glock, the sales guy even was pushing it kinda hard, glad I did not buy into what he had to say.
    Yes it is always better to do a little research before you purchase any firearm, and never base your decision on anything a salesperson says or does. Sig should be ashamed of what they did, and what a shame that their sterling reputation is taking such a hit.
    God bless our troops!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links