Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again. - Page 4

Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again.

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For anyone reading this, if you contact Sig and ask for the new flat recoil spring they'll send you one out. It is rumored to ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again.

JD
    Administrator
    For anyone reading this, if you contact Sig and ask for the new flat recoil spring they'll send you one out. It is rumored to solve a lot or problems. I have one on order and will see if it makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    For anyone reading this, if you contact Sig and ask for the new flat recoil spring they'll send you one out. It is rumored to solve a lot or problems. I have one on order and will see if it makes any difference.
    The new spring, about one inch longer, help and improve overall spring life. Many pistols have the older magazines. You may need Generation 3 (Check-Mate) magazines with a dimple. Also many P238's have extractor fitment problems and early HD version have metallurgical weakness to name a few issues. Best to purchase pistols built after October 2010.

Better yet, pick up a red box P232 from CDNN if they have any left.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlers View Post
    The new spring, about one inch longer, help and improve overall spring life. Many pistols have the older magazines. You may need Generation 3 (Check-Mate) magazines with a dimple. Also many P238's have extractor fitment problems and early HD version have metallurgical weakness to name a few issues. Best to purchase pistols built after October 2010.

Better yet, pick up a red box P232 from CDNN if they have any left.
    Here are some pics of the old vs. new recoil spring.

The end of the original recoil spring was slightly mangled and was causing the slide to not lock back on an empty magazine, so Sig replaced it with the new longer flat spring.
    Plans? Why make plans when you can do things haphazardly?

Florida Shooters Network
    Map of Central FL gun shops

Tom
    Any update on your 238?
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I run all my guns "wet" and clean. Not overlubed but wet rails even with the Glocks. For me this has vurtually eliminated any problems and the very few problems I have had over the years have been traced to the magazines. Just sayin.
    Yep, at least for the Sig classic P series they need to be very well lubed. I run synthetic wheel bearing grease and lube 'em well. If you don't, the slides move too fast for the next round to be picked up and the fired round to eject. The result is stovepipes. I don't know about the little Sig here as the design may be different enough from the classic Sigs to not need this amount of lube, but it sure couldn't hurt to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by sixplus1 View Post
    Went to the range today. The rifle line was so full, bagged that. So, went to the pistol line and fired off a few Sig P220 .45 and Sig P238. Now I have been carrying this P238 in my pocket for a year and a half and have myself wondered about reliability after having a few FTE's. However, I just pulled it out of my pocket and perfectly fired seven shots, reloaded with the spare mag I pocket carry, perfectly fired six shots. Then I went through a baggie of ammo that I had rotated out of pocket carry - these all fire perfectly. Frankly I am somewhat surprised. I attribute this to the pistol finally getting broken in and not using grease, but only gun oil. I freshen up the oil job every couple of weeks. This is pretty good for a pistol and ammo that gets carried in pocket 24/7.

Then stopped off at the gun store on the way home and eyed the Kimber solo in the glass case. I understand there is now a waiting list projected to to to 2012. That's ok, I a not ready to buy just yet, but will keep my eye on that. Money now going into rifle setup.
    Just noticed your comment about looking at a Kimber Solo instead of a Sig 238. If you think the 238s are troublesome, just research the Solo. I actually shot one, or I should say tried to shoot one at a local range. What a piece of junk.

I agree that allegedly quality manufactures like Sig and Kimber should be putting out a better product.

I also agree with tominjax about getting a 232 in lieu of a 238. I had one of the very first 238s available. Finally traded it even up for a beautiful, two tone, 232 that now sports Hogue wood grips. This 232 is flawless just like my old 230. Just do what ever it takes and pick up a 232. You will not regret it.

Trooper Joe

Sig P230/2

Totally agree with Trooper Joe.

Great pistols!

I finally got a replacement!!

The replacement was delivered to my favorite gun store (nassaurange.com) yesterday. Today I took the new and improved pistol and shot 100 rounds through it without one FTE!! Yay!

I also got upgraded to Sig Night Sites, and the package with a holster. I feel good about it now. I will put about 400 more through it before I trust it for carry. My hats off to Scott at Sig Sauer for his help. It took quite a while, but my customer service guy did the best that he could - and I appreciate it.

I did have an unusual circumstance when I was checking it out:

First shot out of the gun. Hmmm... I wish the rest were as good.
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

Sorry to here about it. If you want to change that you have a couple of options, as I see it.
    First, you can use it as a paper weight.
    However, if you want to have it fixed and working as a totally reliable EDC pistol mail it to Teddy Jacobson at "Actions by T".
    Teddy can make it one of your best pistols. He reworked the one on the right which was used and in need of help. Now it is better than new.
    Actions By T - Teddy Jacobson Pistolsmith

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    My p232 is so unreliable that I refuse to carry it as a backup.

Glad Sig got it right. Scott fixed one of mine as well. Looked like you had an extractor fit issue.
    Very nice first shot. Good time to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by TomInJax View Post
    The replacement was delivered to my favorite gun store (nassaurange.com) yesterday. Today I took the new and improved pistol and shot 100 rounds through it without one FTE!! Yay!

I also got upgraded to Sig Night Sites, and the package with a holster. I feel good about it now. I will put about 400 more through it before I trust it for carry. My hats off to Scott at Sig Sauer for his help. It took quite a while, but my customer service guy did the best that he could - and I appreciate it.

I did have an unusual circumstance when I was checking it out:

First shot out of the gun. Hmmm... I wish the rest were as good.

I'm still waiting on my replacement... 3 weeks from the time I heard "we'll replace it" to the actual order being placed. I called today and got "I don't know when it will actually ship".... *mumble grumble*
    Plans? Why make plans when you can do things haphazardly?

Florida Shooters Network
    Map of Central FL gun shops

Who makes the magazines for the P238? Mecgar of Italy used to make most all the sig mags, but now some are made by checkmate in the US. And some claim problems with checkmate mags.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkMastR View Post
    I'm still waiting on my replacement... 3 weeks from the time I heard "we'll replace it" to the actual order being placed. I called today and got "I don't know when it will actually ship".... *mumble grumble*
    You will probably be getting a shipping notice in an email soon. When I contacted Scott the last time, he said the same thing. Then about 4 days later I got the shipping notice. As someone already stated in another thread, Sig has taken on too many models to efficiently maintain support and QC. I believe that the company is aware of their eroding reputation and I think that they are trying to correct the problems. Be patient they will take care of you.

Before you get your shipping notice, ask for an upgrade since it is taking so long.
    Tom

"A free people ought... to be armed... "
    George Washington, 1790

NRA Endowment Member, CCRKBA Life Member, JPFO Life Member, GOA Life Member, 2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member

No problems here

I bought my P238 a couple of months ago. Me and my wife have shot it with not one problem ( almost 200 rounds). I have shot the majority of the rounds. One question, how do you know the date of manufacture? I did check the serial number against the recall and mine was made after the recall. I made the decision to buy this gun over a Keltec .380. This is an expensive choice but hey, I didn't care for the Keltec.

My sig magazine has the dimple in the top of it. I bought a 7 round mag from topguns, think that is it. It's a Metalform OE mag. The slide will not go forward fully when empty. That annoys me. And it doesn't have the dimple.

I had both of mine go back to Sig and had about everything you could imagine done - springs, slides, extractors replaced, first, second and third generation magazines replaced.
    I replaced the trigger spring and trigger on one myself. Sig has gone thru 3 recoil spring changes that I know of. Suffice it to say that early adapters paid for buying the P238's.
    I have a P238 TT and HD. The lates Check-Mate magazines went thru two change and now operate properly. Their new 7 round (dimpled) magazine works fine, but not the first.
    The latest versions are now all Check-Mate. So their is a lot of questionable stuff floating around. I would avoid buying any used pistols unless you know the seller and/or the pistol.

Having said all that, both pistols now shoot flawless and are with me as EDC pistols.

You made the right choice and waiting paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mech63s View Post
    I bought my P238 a couple of months ago. Me and my wife have shot it with not one problem ( almost 200 rounds). I have shot the majority of the rounds. One question, how do you know the date of manufacture? I did check the serial number against the recall and mine was made after the recall. I made the decision to buy this gun over a Keltec .380. This is an expensive choice but hey, I didn't care for the Keltec.

My sig magazine has the dimple in the top of it. I bought a 7 round mag from topguns, think that is it. It's a Metalform OE mag. The slide will not go forward fully when empty. That annoys me. And it doesn't have the dimple.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links