Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again. - Page 5

Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again.

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GoBigOrange ...1) the gun does not perform reliably when dirty. That might explain why you have problems after 100 rounds. It needs ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sig Sauer P238 Fail - again.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    ...1) the gun does not perform reliably when dirty. That might explain why you have problems after 100 rounds. It needs to be kept very clean and well lubed. It's not a Glock and wasn't designed to be a range gun...
    Bingo, bango, give that man a cigar
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I love carrying my 239 and 220 compact. Neither never any type of FFF clean or dirty. When I'm out for a quick trip I sometimes grab my 6 shot snubbie because I have had issues with several different brand small semi autos. If I need it it to fire then it has to work.

Mine ran good for a couple range trips then started to have a stove pipe here and there..... Now it sits in the safe with all the other wannabe's. I'm pretty much done with all the tiny semi autos regardless of caliber. I trust my PPK and my LCP, but that's about it. Even those two lose out to my LCR and S&W revolvers for concealed carry though; the revolvers just are not that much bigger and certainly no more difficult to carry IMO. My PM40 is a pretty good carry choice, but doesn't carry near as good as my revolvers.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Once again I see proof that my concern over short travel autos is warranted. Yes there are many exceptions to my rule but if I want to be sure my gun will shoot then 5" long stroke auto or a revolver are the only way to go. This is especially true in 45 ACP but caries thru to some unacceptable degree in all calibers.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I have a P238 and it shoots fmj bullets just fine but I have tried two different hollow point bullets (Winchester and Hornady) and neither will feed. They take a dive into the ramp. This happens with all three Sig magazines. So I carry it with fmj.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

I had same experience with Sig Sauer P238 Nitron

Quote Originally Posted by TomInJax View Post
    A few weeks ago I purchased a new Sig P238 Nitron .380. I was very happy with it, and found it to be extremely accurate. It is a pleasure to shoot, and small enough for a IWB holster.

But I have a problem with the reliability of the weapon. After shooting about 100 rounds, I had a failure to eject with my new Sig P238. The empty shell would get stuck about 1/2 way out, stuck between the slide and barrel. It crushed the mouth of the empty shell and caused the pistol to malfunction until it was cleared. This seemed to happen about 2 or 3 times every 100 rounds.

I called Sig and told my story to them and they had me send it in to them. I just got it back after only 10 days, and took it back to the range. Same problem. Nothing has changed. The tech said that he changed the recoil spring and ran 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot through it with no problems.

I have not been using reloads, since Sig says that will void the warranty. But I have run Winchester White box and Remington Golden Saber through it. I also shot some Speer Gold Dot, but I cannot afford to run 200 rounds to test it out. My price at a local sporting goods store is about $25 for 30, making 210 cost about $175 plus tax.

Today, I ran about 60 rounds through it with no problems. Somewhere around 73 rounds it failed. Then again around 96 rounds it failed, and finally it failed again at about 112 rounds.

I neglected to take a photo of the first fail, but I have photos of the other two:

My question is, do I sell it? I can ask Sig to exchange it for a P232, but will they do that? I am definitely sending it back again. And I will post my results here when it is returned (each time!).

Any other advice? Anyone else having this problem?
    I bought one in December 2010 and had the same experience in 2011. I also sent mine back to Sig and got the exact same reply - the recoil (and firing pin) springs were changed and 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot fired with no problems. Really nothing changed. It does shoot "premium" ammo with less FTE's. Mine is also accurate, so I use it as a fun range pistol. I also decided I did not want to carry a single-action semi cocked-and-locked, so I'm not worried about that now.

MikeVirginia

I have two P238s and now a 938. I have many hundreds of rounds through each gun. All three had a couple of FTEs within the first 100 rounds or so but each gun smoothed up nicely after abt 200 rounds. They do need to be really clean and lubed very well. But, they are supremely accurate and run like little sewing machines now

Mine has had maybe 300 rounds through it total and I bought it new just a few months ago. It's never done anything like that. Didn't they make some changes to the spring?

Way to bring back a necrothread guys.

The early P238 problems are old news. They have since been reworked and are generally trouble-free. My wife's, like RemBart's, had a few issues in the first hundred rounds but since has been perfect with all kinds of ammo.

Sorry for reviving this thread folks -- but I'm having problems.

I just bought a new shiny P238 SAS for my wife three weeks ago. Cleaned and lubed it, and went to the range. Had three failure to ejects after 50 rounds of PMC 95 grain FMJ. Went home, cleaned and lubed it again. Went back to the range a few days later. Shot 125 rounds and had six more failure to ejects. My totals are:

4 failures in 100 rds of PMC 95 grain FMJ

3 failures in 50 rds of Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ

2 failures in 25 rds of Remington Golden Saber 102 JHP

I am 99.9999% sure I'm NOT limp wristing. I was shooting with both hands every time and use a pretty firm grip. I can shoot my G19 and G27 one handed without having any limp wristing induced FTE.

Called Sig, and was told by Kyle that this might be just a break in period thing. Asked about a "flat spring" and was told that there is only one spring for the P238, and there is no such thing as a flat spring for the P238. He offered to get a shipping label to me, but recommended that I shoot the gun a little bit more. So that's what I'm going to do -- put 100 more rounds through it.

Anyone else buy a P238 recently and having FTE issues?

Help!!! Thanks!

I cant imagine cc ing a gun that cant go fifty rounds without cleaning or a fte or ftf. I recently bought a shield an the first range trip the mag kept falling out. I sent it in . When it comes back any other probs its gone. I will price it accordingly an tell who ever buys it the probs but unless fixed its gone. I personally never keep a gun that doesnt perform flawlessly if I do my part.
    sebring likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ever had to fix you car? Or do you just trade it in whenever it has a flat?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I kinda know what he is saying. I bought a Sig SP2022 and right out of the box ftf, and/or fte every other round or so, sent it back to sig, they had to polish the feed ramp, debur the slide and replace the hammer group (as I said this was a NIB weapon). They made everything right and since then I have put about 400 through it without a hiccup other than a single time the slide did not lock back, but how would you ever trust a weapon with your life after issues like that?

It is now just a range gun for me and I got another Glock19 to be my EDC.

Thanks for the thoughts Big Pony. The P238 is for my wife, because she has small hands, and has a hard time racking the slides on most guns I've had her try (G19, G26/7, Shield, XDs). I'm hoping to get the FTE issues resolved. But even after that, I may always wonder ... May just have her keep using the Ruger SR22. Better a 22 than nothing. At least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Ever had to fix you car? Or do you just trade it in whenever it has a flat?
    Your car not starting generally does not cause potential death. I can deal with my car giving me a headache once in a while, a firearm used to protect my family......not so much.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links