Ruger LC9 Feedback?

Ruger LC9 Feedback?

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Feedback? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any one own the new Ruger LC9? ANy feedback positive or negative? What are you using for an CC holster?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Feedback?

Ruger LC9 Feedback?

Any one own the new Ruger LC9? ANy feedback positive or negative?
    What are you using for an CC holster?

Type LC9 in the search box. Lots of posts about this gun. Most people like em, while some complain alot about the safety devices. The safety and magazine disconnect etc.
    Ruger LC9
    Ruger LC9
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Here's a copy of my previous review. I've added some of my holster pics: Well I picked up my new LC9 from my local FFL on Wednesday. My first impression was the looks, weight and ergonomics of this gun were spectacular! Big enough to be comfortable and controllable to shoot, and small enough to fit comfortably in the front pocket of my shorts. Even my FFL dealer; pawn shop owner, was extremely impressed with it. I had every intention of purchasing it from him, but he told me he wouldn't have any in until April at the earliest, so I purchased this gun from Bud's.

The gun has the following features: 7+1 capacity 9mm, 3.12" barrel, the gun is 6" in length overall, and weighs 17.1 oz. with empty magazine in place. Also comes with carrying pouch and pinky extension floor plate (in place) as well as a flat floor plate.

Corners are all nicely rounded off (or melted) with no sharp edges. It has both a manual safety and a magazine safety which is not ambidextrous. Firm pressure is needed to engage the safety. Rear sight is adjustable, and are quite decent.

At the range:
    I brought with me a variety of Factory and reloaded ammo.
    Factory: Speer Gold Dot 124 gr.HP, Federal HST 124 Gr. HP, WW White Box, Federal 115 FMJ.
    Reloads:
    Reloads duplicating Factory Rem 124 Gr. Golden Sabre HP, and Hornady XTP 124 GR. HP, Georgia Arms 115 FMJ, and 124Gr. FMJ.

The gun ate up everything I fed it; 200 rounds in all. Happy to report not a single failure of any kind...the gun was flawless! Trigger pull at first felt a little gritty, but started to smooth out towards the end of my range session. I fired the gun two hands, strong hand only and then weak hand, and there were no "limp wrist" malfunctions.
    I initially had a little trouble shooting accurately, but as I figured out how to stage the trigger, and got the feel for when the hammer was going to fall, my groups tightened to the point where I could keep all rounds within a 4" circle (50 yd. Small bore target) at a distance of 33 feet. Some targets had groups measuring 1 1/2" to 2" .

All in all, I suspect this gun is going to replace my S&W 642 as my go to gun. It is so light and easy to conceal, holds three more rounds, and definitely has less recoil than +p ammo in the 38.

If there are any downsides to this gun I would say it would be:
    a. that it comes with only 1 magazine.
    b. with a long trigger pull, I don't think a manual safety is needed.
    c. don't like the magazine safety or built in key lock
    d. don't care for the loaded chamber indicator, although it is not as obtrusive a s the one on the SR9c.
    But to me, the positive aspects of this gun far exceed the negatives.

Well, now I have to get started fabricating a holster for my new carry, and while I'm at it, I might as well look for a couple of magazines for this gun 'cause it sure is a keeper!

Here she is:

Old School likes this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I got the Ruger LC9 a week ago and brought it to the range yesterday.
    My initial impression was really positive: it is a super small gun, very thin, well built, and I personally really like a manual safety for a carry gun (in my opinion, most people are more likely to experience and accidental discharge than an actual emergency, and training to swipe the safety is not hard at all and can prevent real accidents.)

The manual safety is stiff and would not easily be nudged from the safe mode. Going from fire-ready to safe is even too stiff and I need to use my other hand to put it on safe :-(
    Another drawback is that there is no second strike capability even though it is hammer fired DAO. This is because the hammer is pre-tensioned like in the HK LEM system (even though the HK's do have second strike capability).

Compared to the HK45C (about the size of Glock 19), the LC9 is much easier to conceal and wears more easy, being very thin and light.

On the range, I fed it about 100 Federal eagle FMJ 147gr, and 147gr Remington golden sabers. There was no malfunction at all and the slide always locked back nicely on the final round.

However, I really didn't like shooting the Ruger LC9
    The trigger was not nice and slowly built up tension until it broke rather 'mushy'. The take up was quite long and combined with the thin grip it was very hard to maintain a good steady grip. My accuracy was not nearly as good as normal. The recoil wasn't nice either and it was hard to get quick follow up shots -- again, it is hard to maintain a firm grip on such a small gun.
    Afterwards I tried my HK45C again and the difference is huge, the HK is just a much higher quality gun that has a good grip and very good crisp trigger. I was much more accurate with it and the recoil is much more pleasant (even though it is .45 ACP!)

But hey, the the HK is (at least) twice the money and not as easy to conceal. However, after shooting the LC9 I wasn't so sure anymore how well I would shoot with it in an emergency. It is a difficult tradeoff though since the LC9 is so nice to carry concealed. I will give some more chances though by taking it a few more times to the range and see if once I get more familiar with it, that I will improve my accuracy and grip.

So, my verdict for now is rather torn: a great gun for concealed carry, light and thin, manual safety, and a caliber large enough for self defense (9mm). But on the other hand, it is not fun to shoot with it at all

I've picked up an LC9 on St. Patty's Day. So far so good. I put 200 rounds through it and had only one FTE.

I will be writing up a more detailed range report soon.

Forgot to say that for now I am using the Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster that is sold on Ruger's website. It is not the best holster, but it will serve me well until I have RKBA Holsters make one for me.

I get the feeling that the LC9 is going to give the PM9 a run for its money.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

los
    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    ...I get the feeling that the LC9 is going to give the PM9 a run for its money.

Old School likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I love my lc9. I have a little under 100 rounds through it with no complaints at all. The magazine safety doesn't bother me. It doesn't actually make sense to me why people make such a big deal about it. I also like the thumb safety. Give me that extra sense of safety knowing I won't shoot myself in the leg. I tend to have bad luck so the safeties are a plus for me.

The holster I have for mine is the desantis pro stealth i believe. I dont know if it was specifically made for the LC9 but it fits. I'm going to pick up a Cozy Partner for it at some point because I love the Cozy Partner I use for my .45

Had to send mine to Ruger. On the 17th round fired on my first range trip the whole extractor assembly came out of the gun. Guess I was unlucky and got a lemon.

I have a LC9 and I have had only 1 issue so far, 1 FTF, light primer strike which I reloaded and it fired the second time, WWB 124gr.
    For me I sanded down the back strap as my hands are sensitive to their checkering (No issues with the LCP or SR9c).
    I like the fell in my hands as with the pinky extension I get all fingers on the grip.
    Shot placement is good at 15 yards and less, I can group 2" or less for me that's real good.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

well

I am waiting on the CM9 to make its debut before I buy the LC9.

Well the LC9 is going on the "list".

NICE!....

Is all I can say about this little pistol! After 7 months of reading reviews and shooting micro, ultra light 380's, 9 mills, .38 specials, and. 357 mags, I was pleasantly surprised when Ruger announced this pistol. I wanted a pistol with sufficient power, easy concealablity ( lack of impression ), controllable, accurate, fun, adjustable sights, low profile sights, affordable, with easy to acquire, inexpensive ammo. I got it ALL with this pistol. First off, weight ..... I've learned that ultra light means ultra " not fun' (lack of control and comfort ) to shoot. .380's and 38 spcls under 12 oz.'s are not fun, and. 357 mags and 9 mm's under 15 oz.'s aren't either. If its not fun, I won't shoot, or practice as much. At 17 unloaded OS's, this pocket powerhouse is both comfortable and controllable, which means Fun! 250 rnds w/o cleaning of mil spec, Winchester and Federal round nose and ZERO malfunctions. The trigger is long on pull, and had about 3/16" worth of considerable rough stacking out of the box. This smoothed out within the first 50 rnds. , and became very smooth and predictable after 150 rnds. The trigger, out of box, is also hard, off the charts on a 9# scale. It eased up quite a bit after 5 boxes of ammo yet I haven't rechecked it to see what it came down to. Upon disassembly ( before shooting) expectig to find a rough ramp, I was surprised to find it required no polishing whatsoever. Mine shot low left out of the box, yet grouped within 2"s @ 21' ( I haven't been shooting handguns much this past year either). Follow up shots became much easier yet double taps may be another couple of hundred rnds ( or more) of practice away. The obvious smooth contours of the profile of " melted" edges make it flow in and out of a tight or loose pocket, leather or Kydex holster ( I made a leather hip and Kydex inside pants holsters) without catching. Yes, the pistol has abundant safeties, if you don't like the manual safety, internal child lock, or loaded chamber indicator ..... don't use them. As for the mag disconnect .....this is the ONLY unfavorable feature of this handful of armory charm in my opinion ( and ways of of modification addressing this is already popping up on the internet). Even so, it isn't enough to offset the plentiful attributes this sweet hole puncher has to offer.

I also sent my LC9 back to Ruger on March 18.It shot extremely low.I had 4 misfires out of 200 rounds of factory ammo.Can't wait to get it back.If it is good I'm gonna buy the Crimson Trace Laserguard.Then(in my mind)I'll have the perfect ccw peice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links