Could use some advice, SIG guys.

This is a discussion on Could use some advice, SIG guys. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had carry permits in several states, and have recently obtained one in a state that I NEVER thought would issue them without a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could use some advice, SIG guys.

I have had carry permits in several states, and have recently obtained one in a state that I NEVER thought would issue them without a mile of red tape and lots of money. This particular state (my home state) is now a shall issue state. A move in the right direction. While I have usually had a carry permit, I have not taken it seriously. By that I mean I would strap on a firearm and go, but never really practiced for an event that I hope will never come. That stops now. It is high time to take the initiative and get the skills that I have developed with a rifle, but never a handgun. I have carried several 1911 platforms, a few Hi-Powers, a 92 and 96, and my current carry gun (the only one I have that could be considered adequate) is a Beretta 85F 380. It is a nice carry gun, and as I build my own holsters I have it set up to carry very well. I will soon get another handgun. This will be a SIG, either a 226 or a 229, probably in .357 SIG, but maybe 9mm. The local gun store has a 226, but not a 229, so I cannot compare. I remember holding a 229 several years ago, and it felt nice. I guess I need to know the pros and cons of both guns. Other than one is 1/2" shorter than the other, is there really a difference? What do you guys think of the 357 SIG cartridge? This will be used for carry and IDPA competition. Any input will be appreciated. Many thanks.

I carry a 229 40 sometimes,357 sig is expensive and can be hard to find,I would get it in 9mm, ammo is cheaper which allows for more practice
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

P229 more compact

I've had both the P229 and the P226 for quite a few years. From a carry standpoint, the P226 is a bit on the large side for me, and I prefer the P229 for carry. The P229 is just as thick as the P226, but has a shorter grip and slide, making it easier to conceal. My P229 is in .40 caliber, and has been completely reliable for 10 years. It also has a very nice trigger and is quite accurate. I use the P226 mainly as a range gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    I'm with dukalmighty on the 9mm over the .357 for exactly the reasons he stated. If you're serious about learning the handgun, you'll be shooting; 9mm is less expensive so you can shoot more.

There's not a lot of difference in the 226 and 229 other than size of course. The P229 slide is a bit wider than the P226 so holsters for one won't fit the other. That was then, this is now.

Sig is converting all the P226/9s to the E2 style grip and for the P229 that includes a thinner slide and a big ol long extractor that I'd pay extra to get - fortunately you won't have to if you get the newer model. The 'new' P229 will be made on the .40 cal frame and will hold 15 rounds where the current/past 229s hold 13 rounds. I'm not sure theres gonna be any changes to the P226 orther than the E2 grip.

And, FWIW, you can put the 'classic' grips on a newer P226/9 if you prefer them.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Lead Moderator
    I have both and have known folks who carry a 226 regularly, so it can be done. For a lot of Federal agencies the 229 is now the standard carry weapon, make of that what you will. My 226 is 9mm, and I have both the 357 and .40 barrels for my 229, as has been said you will pay for the 357 SIG ammo.

If you are looking strictly for a SIG carry weapon, let me toss a third choice out for your consideration...... Take a look at the SIG 239,you still have the choice of all three rounds. I have a 239 in 9mm and it is a "tack driver".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have the P226 with both .40 S&W and .357 barrels. I like the .357 - the ammo is more expensive than 9mm, but I have a .22 conversion kit that I use for most of my practice. When I go to the range I fire mostly .22 and then finish up with a couple of magazines of .357 just to remind me about recoil. I buy the practice .357 ammo in bulk at gun shows and get a better deal on it.

9mm P229 or if you can find it...a nice P228. Mine is amazing as a shooter. The .357 Sig is a ballistic powerhouse but is expensive and the 9mm will do the job just fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I just got a Sig 229 in 357 a while ago and love that round. I also purchased a 40 caliber barrel for it so I could shoot cheaper.But as a defensive gun I like it in 357 mode.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I just got a Sig P229 in .40S&W and it is a fantastic weapon, relatively compact, and good weight and weight distribution helps make the recoil on the "snappy" .40 quite manageable. I just caught-up with my oldest friend (30+ years), former VA state trooper and current FBI SA, and former firearms instructor at Quantico, and we talked a LOT about pistols, calibers, and CC weapons given our recent re-connecting and my renewed interest in firearms. I've decided the 229 is too large for CC for me, so it will stay in my gunvault for home defense or when going to the range. His opinion on the .357sig was that it is best suited for open carry on a larger gun, though he admitted the pereceived recoil is less than a .40, which is what he carries (Glock) but indoors, the recoil sound is so LOUD as to be problematic.

So I'm looking hard for a CC weapon, and based on our discussion, am leaning heavily to .380 ACP, possibly the P232, though I'm still undecided. I wanted to stick with .40 but his advice (which I consider to be UBER informed) was that the P239 (or equivalent) is about the smallest/lightest gun that can handle it comfortably, and the weight and dimensions of the 239 are close enough to the 229 that the reduced magazine capacity of the 239 is a deal-breaker. So, I'm back to looking at P232 and similar-sized compact guns. Might move up to a 9mm, but basically because I'm a scientist professionally, I'm all about gathering and analyzing data.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Batty67 View Post
    I just got a Sig P229 in .40S&W and it is a fantastic weapon, relatively compact, and good weight and weight distribution helps make the recoil on the "snappy" .40 quite manageable. I just caught-up with my oldest friend (30+ years), former VA state trooper and current FBI SA, and former firearms instructor at Quantico, and we talked a LOT about pistols, calibers, and CC weapons given our recent re-connecting and my renewed interest in firearms. I've decided the 229 is too large for CC for me, so it will stay in my gunvault for home defense or when going to the range. His opinion on the .357sig was that it is best suited for open carry on a larger gun, though he admitted the pereceived recoil is less than a .40, which is what he carries (Glock) but indoors, the recoil sound is so LOUD as to be problematic.

So I'm looking hard for a CC weapon, and based on our discussion, am leaning heavily to .380 ACP, possibly the P232, though I'm still undecided. I wanted to stick with .40 but his advice (which I consider to be UBER informed) was that the P239 (or equivalent) is about the smallest/lightest gun that can handle it comfortably, and the weight and dimensions of the 239 are close enough to the 229 that the reduced magazine capacity of the 239 is a deal-breaker. So, I'm back to looking at P232 and similar-sized compact guns. Might move up to a 9mm, but basically because I'm a scientist professionally, I'm all about gathering and analyzing data.
    If your data is flawed, your analysis will be flawed. Which I believe it is.

Okay, what is flawed? But first, as for "data", I'm really not collecting and comparing data per se, more so relying heavily on the (expert) informed input of an old friend. However, I am also reviewing information on a variety of firearm forums and reviews, etc.

This:

I've decided the 229 is too large for CC for me, so it will stay in my gunvault for home defense or when going to the range. His opinion on the .357sig was that it is best suited for open carry on a larger gun, though he admitted the pereceived recoil is less than a .40, which is what he carries (Glock) but indoors, the recoil sound is so LOUD as to be problematic.

I carry a P229 or P239 in 357Sig daily in a IWB holster and gun belt with no problems. Yes it is loud but so what? In a defensive situation you want all the accuracy, power and controlability you can get. The P229 or P239 give you all of that and more (loud). 380 not so much.

Fair enough 21Bubba. Being new to CC (dropped my CHP permit in Fairfax County, VA last week; hope to have CHP in 2-3 weeks) I was deferring to his opinion. I love my 229 but need to have the front sights lowered as I consistently get good groups that are at least 2-3" low and the distance low goes up with increased distance to target. I think it is a bit big and heavy to CC as a "newbie." As for .357sig, his main points were that the (1) round is used widely for penetration and is loud (which is a non-isuse in SD, as you noted); and (2) with high-quality rounds a 9mm or even .380ACP will suffice, smaller too. Seems like you disagree on that point. I'm looking into 9mm CCW options, perhaps the Ruger LC9. Having held the P239, it weighs almost the same as my 229 but with much smaller capacity, while the P232 seems quite nice in my hand, is much lighter, and feels a bit slimmer. Ergo, I think it would be a decent option for CC. Thanks for your input.

Lead Moderator
    Having held the P239, it weighs almost the same as my 229 but with much smaller capacity, while the P232 seems quite nice in my hand, is much lighter, and feels a bit slimmer.
    The bottom line for you is right in this sentence, and that is go ahead and use what feels best to you. As long as you're comfortable with the weapon and can hit what you aim for, you are good to go no matter what anyone else tells says!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Fair enough 21Bubba. Being new to CC (dropped my CHP permit in Fairfax County, VA last week; hope to have CHP in 2-3 weeks) I was deferring to his opinion. I love my 229 but need to have the front sights lowered as I consistently get good groups that are at least 2-3" low and the distance low goes up with increased distance to target. I think it is a bit big and heavy to CC as a "newbie." As for .357sig, his main points were that the (1) round is used widely for penetration and is loud (which is a non-isuse in SD, as you noted); and (2) with high-quality rounds a 9mm or even .380ACP will suffice, smaller too. Seems like you disagree on that point. I'm looking into 9mm CCW options, perhaps the Ruger LC9. Having held the P239, it weighs almost the same as my 229 but with much smaller capacity, while the P232 seems quite nice in my hand, is much lighter, and feels a bit slimmer. Ergo, I think it would be a decent option for CC. Thanks for your input.
    If you're happy, I'm happy. I just wanted to point out that I thought your friend's input was open to discussion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links