Best ammo for a 32

This is a discussion on Best ammo for a 32 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please do not flame me unmercifully for this but sometimes I find myself only able to pocket carry a weapon. (very seldom) I happen to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best ammo for a 32

Best ammo for a 32

Please do not flame me unmercifully for this but sometimes I find myself only able to pocket carry a weapon. (very seldom) I happen to own a Beretta 32 that was given to me to repay a debt. I realize that it is not much more effective than a pocketful of rocks, but is there some ammo out there that I could use that would be effective for up close and personal use? I would prefer not to purchase a different caliber pocket gun for no more often I have to carry one. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Remove Ads

gtv
    There are some good loads out there now that make the .32 a viable (though not necessarily preferable) self-defense platform. If your gun will handle it, try the Buffalo Bore +P 75 grain hard cast. If not rated for +P, I would consider the Cor-Bon DPX 60 grain, the Glaser Pow'Rball 55 grain, or the Hornady custom 60 grain XTP JHPs.

Congrats on the new Beretta, btw! Great little guns.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

I use wwb full metal jacket....I wwnt to put holes in a bad guy....not worried about the size of them.
    deafdave3 likes this.

I run Fiocchi 73gr FMJ in my little .32 Guardian. It seems hotter and more accurate than the WWB and feeds more reliable than any HP I've tried. The Sellier & Bellot 73gr FMJ isn't bad either.

I have Cor Bon JHP in all of mine. I tested a bunch of loads and these were the ones that expanded the best. Second was the old Silvertip. The XTPs and the Hydra Shok never expanded and the Gold Dots only occasionally did.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    FMJ

You need the penetration.

Another vote for penetration. I'd reach right past all the trick boutique .32 ACP loads for some hot performing FMJ on the order of Zero's recommendation.

Expansion could be a bummer if the bullet didn't reach the "good stuff" and, for what ever reason, more rounds were not or could not be applied.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Here's some testing out of a P32:

GoldenLoki.com

As you can see, the .32 JHPs gave poor performance.

Bear in mind the FBI calls for a minimum of 12 inches of penetration, with 15 preferred. I would ONLY carry FMJ in a .32. Expansion does you little good if the bullet does not reach anything vital. Even in .380, I prefer FMJ. IMHO, JHPs don't become viable until 9mm and above.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

FMJ or a good solid gets my vote.

Another vote for FMJ, thats all I carry in my .380 and I'd definitely carry it in a .32 for max penetration.

Fiocchi 73gr FMJ. good ammo for my p32.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

FMJ for the penetration factor as others have said. That is also what I carry in my .380 Diamondback.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would load up your Beretta with Buffalo Bore 75-grain +P ammo.

Here's some interesting information directly from the BB website:

The current 32 ACP frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma, but lacks sufficient penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face, with modern, frangible 32 ACP ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek. I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the pain, as that frangible bullet would have stopped somewhere in my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible bullet and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and won't know that part of his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So, whatever 32 ACP ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 32 ACP is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down instantly. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your loved ones, is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we've designed this 32 ACP+P load to keep you and yours alive under the worst of scenarios.

This ammo consists of 75gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,000 fps out of a 3.4 inch Beretta Mod. 70. We've used a flash suppressed powder so that you won't be blinded by your own gunfire in the dark. This is significant as well over 90% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light when the criminal element is out and about. Also, this flat nosed, nonexpanding, hard cast, bullet will penetrate deeply and will do much more damage than the typical round nosed FMJ bullet. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through living tissue, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities from my personal 32 ACP pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not the exaggerated speeds you'll see produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo advertising, is truly what you get in the "real world" where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over-penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 32 ACP pistol and the trade off is that now you are going to have to stay alive using this pistol and over-penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I run Fiocchi 73gr FMJ in my little .32 Guardian. It seems hotter and more accurate than the WWB and feeds more reliable than any HP I've tried. The Sellier & Bellot 73gr FMJ isn't bad either.
    Gen Patton carried a .32 and so did several other officers, etc. in WWII, including German officers.

I pick up a Beretta .32 tomorrow, wanted one as a back-up, and well. .... just always wanted one. That's the exact ammo I was thinking of using, and for the penetration, figuring penetration will be the biggest factor on a .32 caliber.

If the reason is purely pocket carry, don't forget all of the pocket carry 9 mm's and 380's out there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thanks Gents, I really appreciate all the helpful info. 99% of the time I carry a 9 mm. but sometimes have to resort to a pocket pistol, and have found the 32 Beretta a perfect fit, even with blue jeans. This is a great forum, I have learned a lot. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links