Trade my Kahr PM9 for an SP101?

This is a discussion on Trade my Kahr PM9 for an SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by los Hope this helps a bit, Springer. It does, and thanks a ton! Yeah, there's no question that the SP101 will be ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade my Kahr PM9 for an SP101?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Hope this helps a bit, Springer.

It does, and thanks a ton! Yeah, there's no question that the SP101 will be bulkier so that's something I'm going to have to consider.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Keep the PM9 and just get the SP101 to add to the collection. You'll thank me later.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

What about Rugers new KLCR? A .357 LCR. Same size as the .38 LCR, and only 3.6 ounces heavier.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I also have 100% trust in the .357 Magnum round.
    Your trust is misplaced. Remember, for all its reputation, the .357 Mag is still a HANDgun round. Any weapon capable of being fired with only one hand should not be relied upon to quickly stop a determined threat. There are failure to stop stories out there, even with the "mighty" .357 Mag. That's why you train to shoot until the threat ceases - regardless of caliber. It's a handgun - not the hammer of Thor.

I will echo what some others have said - add guns, but do not sell unless you have one that does not work right. The PM9 will go places the SP101 (fine as it is) will never go due to size and weight.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Your trust is misplaced. Remember, for all its reputation, the .357 Mag is still a HANDgun round. Any weapon capable of being fired with only one hand should not be relied upon to quickly stop a determined threat. There are failure to stop stories out there, even with the "mighty" .357 Mag. That's why you train to shoot until the threat ceases - regardless of caliber. It's a handgun - not the hammer of Thor.

I will echo what some others have said - add guns, but do not sell unless you have one that does not work right. The PM9 will go places the SP101 (fine as it is) will never go due to size and weight.
    Well said!!!!!

I dont get rid of guns unless they dont work right... ie for me my Kel Tec P3AT. Saving for the Ruger would allow you time to decide on holsters, fancy grips, etc... and will make the final arrival all the more special. Sometimes the anticipation of a new gun is good!!! Unless you have a nagging wife who does not want you to add to your collection, i would keep the Kahr. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

You might want to think of the SP101 in the .327 magnum caliber. With this, you have your choice of .32, .32 long, .32 H&R magnum and the .327. As far as I can tell, the recoil on the .327 doesn't differ a whole lot from the .357 and the GP100 only gives you one other option--- .38. I also have a Bersa Thunder Plus .380 with a 15 capacity with 15" well placed" shots, no BG is going to get too far in your direction: and if he does, RUN FAST!
    Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I would certainly rather have an SP101 than a PM9 during a critical defensive incident. I might be prejudiced because the SP101 factory grip is absolutely perfectly sculpted to fit my hands, and I have used a .357 Magnum GP100 to fire a defensive shot, with devastating effect upon my attacker. I own several SP101 revolvers.

I have nothing against the Kahr brand, nothing against autopistols, and nothing against a good 9mm defensive load. A PM9 is what I consider a hide-out pistol, for times that an extreme level of concealment is critical. The scenario presented by the OP does not involve deep concealment.

I am not so sure about the .327 cartridge; no .32 ammo is cheap! One of my SP101s is chambered in .32 H&R, and while it seemed a good idea at the time, that was back when .32 ammo was not as rare as today.

GM
    If you like the SP101 better then trade the PM9; I would not. I should keep the PM9 and get a SP101 instead.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I say keep the PM9 and save up for the SP101. I picked up a SP101 the other day at a range and fondled it for a bit(while drooling of course). I don't see why many people call it heavy. Yes it has some weight to it but its not like a mini brick or something. The way I heard it described by some I thought I would need a wrist strap to pick it up. To my surprise when I held it and it felt so nice in the hand. The guy behind the counter started smiling when he saw my face light up. He thought he had a sale that day! LOL
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Versatility wins

I have a Kahr PM9 and 4 S&W J-frames. The Kahr is a "nitch" gun. After my initial fling with it I rarely carry or shoot it. The 3" S&W model 60 with adjustable sights is far more versatile than the Kahr - small and light enough to carry well, still large and heavy enough to shoot well with lots of different loads. I have carried the 3" 60 concealed more than any other gun I own. If I could only own one this one would be it.

If you are a Ruger fan go with the 3" 101. Being the 101 is a belt gun there is no reason to compromise on barrel length even for CC.

I think in the long run you'll regret letting the PM9 go for any other reason other than it doesn't run like you had hoped. After adding the PM40 to my carry system, I can attest that it's by a good measure one of my favorite all around carry options. Mine's a forty and a fraction wider than the PM9, but IMO the 9mm is a darn good defense round, and the Kahr PM series pistol that launches it is one of the smallest I've seen. Not to mention the fact that it'll fire the +p 9mm round without fear of damage. The ballistics for the .357 are better than the 9mm for sure, but I'm of the mindset that, when a certain level of horse power is reached the main ingredient will come down to the operator to do their part. Good points made by 10thmtn regarding the stopping factor for any handgun round. IMO, the key is going to be shot placement and reliability over shear brute round ballistics. A .22 to the noggin will put you toes up just a well as any other properly placed projectile.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    The Ruger SP-101 is way bigger and heavier than the Kahr PM9 so you won't be able to pocket carry.
    I did not know that! I guess I should take my SP101 out of my pocket right now!

I have both the PM9 and Model 60 3", and have considered the SP101 a number of times. So, I'll offer my opinion, ... and you know what that's worth! In many respects, I agree with what's already been said.
    -- The PM9 and SP101 are two different guns for two different purposes
    -- Add an SP101 if you want, but don't sell the PM9
    -- Previous poster aside, the SP101 is not a pocket gun, whereas the PM9 can be (yeah, there are some that pocket carry a G19 or 1911 too, but weight alone -- and subsequent drag on the pants pocket and printing, not to mention the cylinder width -- makes the SP101 an IWB or OWB gun)
    -- PM9 will go where SP101 can't (depending upon clothes, weather, etc., e.g., dress pants and no coat or untucked shirt)
    -- PM9 has capacity and reload speed advantages over the SP101
    -- The 9mm, especially in +P is a proven SD round, so not losing much if any over the .357

I believe you have to ask yourself the right questions. For example, it's one to say that "if something goes bump in the night and I have to reach for one of the two...it's the SP101". But it's a much different question than what gun should I CC every day, given clothes choices, ability to carry reloads, ability to get off follow-up shots, price of ammo, reliability, etc. You need to figure out what questions YOU need to answer. For example, my Model 60 is my woods gun...not the PM9. I believe it is more versatile for both 2- and 4-legged predators, is more reliable given the potential for dirt/mud, etc. However, if I go into the city, the PM9 is with me -- easier to conceal, I can carry an extra mag or two in case of a gang encounter, it has night sights, etc. Your scenario, your choice.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Another option is to get a Smith & Wesson 640 or Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum. This would give you the ability to pocket carry your revolver, it shoots .357 magnum (self-defense) and .38 special (practice) and it would be a very reliable handgun for concealed carry, home defense and a woods gun.

Ruger LCR .357 Magnum

S&W 640 .357 Magnum

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Wow. As someone who has shot a .357 without hearing protection I can attest that it is distracting and will make your ears ring for a day and perhaps prevent you from hearing what is going on around you. Then there is the muzzle blast at night. I was a die hard .357 revolver fan for a very long time as I have been shooting for over 40 years and after carrying 16 different guns, including revolvers, my main EDC is a Kahr PM9. It is lightweight, accurate, well built, reliable (no failures yet in 400 rounds) and carries very easily and comfortably in pocket and IWB. Try carrying it IWB for awhile to see how comfy it is. The PM9 is a good pocket gun only if you have big pockets otherwise it feels and looks like you have a small brick in there. IWB it just melts into your body and with a good holster and gun belt supporting it, it is the most comfortable carrying gun I have ever carried in my life.

A PM9 loaded with Speer Gold Dot 9mm +P ammo is a good stopper. Just ask the NYC PD and many others who use this load. Now the Ruger LCR in .357 is a good choice but it is still heavier, bulkier, more recoil, same problem with noise and flash. Had one and sold it. Try running an IDPA course with a 9mm and .357 and you will immediately see why a semi auto is better. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links