Trade my Kahr PM9 for an SP101?

This is a discussion on Trade my Kahr PM9 for an SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been pondering this lately. I like the Kahr PM9 I got last summer, but I only carry it (in a pocket holster) on my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade my Kahr PM9 for an SP101?

I've been pondering this lately. I like the Kahr PM9 I got last summer, but I only carry it (in a pocket holster) on my own property. I have an older GP100, so I already know that I love the .357 Magnum round. Conversely, I'm still not crazy about the 9mm.

So to summarize....

I love the .357 Magnum round
    I'm lukewarm on the 9mm

Concealment isn't a huge deal as long as the SP101 is reasonably hideable.

The Kahr holds 6+1 with the standard mag, while the SP101 only holds five.

In my opinion, revolvers are almost failsafe, Rugers in particular.

Thoughts?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Why not?

The SP101 doesn't pocket carry, very well. I've pocket carried mine, but it's a bit big; the handle protrudes a little from my pocket. It's not a big deal, I usually have an untucked shirt that covers.

The Ruger has a lot more character, I think
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would NOT get rid of a perfectly good, reliable, highly concealable PM9... although I highly recommend the SP101 for it's place in the carry rotation. The last year, a CW9 and SP101 have become by daily favorites, and a CM9 (the new to be released "less expensive" brother of the PM9) is in my immediate future. The Kahr PM9 and Ruger SP101 would compliment each other extremely well for differrent needs. If one "has to go", I would think long and hard about the GP100 being downsized to a 3" SP101.

just my opinion

surv

VIP Member
    These days I prefer revolvers and I'm considering an older Model 49 with .38 Nyclads' for my summer carry. On that note, if anyone knows of a clean copy then please drop me a line.

Anyway, if you're looking at SP101 for your summer dress, and don't mind the weight, then all the power to you.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Apples and oranges; these two guns are as different as that. I have both. Would never trade either. Both have their place in my carry rotation.

Ask me which would I pick up to defend myself if they were both lying side by side? You guessed right. The SP101 of course.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Personally, I'd keep all of my guns and then purchase the SP101! That way you've got more options.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by sliponby View Post
    Ask me which would I pick up to defend myself if they were both lying side by side? You guessed right. The SP101 of course.
    That's just it. I have 100% trust in a Ruger revolver to go "bang" every time. I also have 100% trust in the .357 Magnum round.

Those two trusts are at about 90% with the PM9. Yes, I like it. It's nice and flat and so on, but if I'm in your scenario above, the SP101 gets the nod.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I carry an MK9 IWB appendix for deep conceal. The SP101 rides OWB in a Simply Rugged. Both have their purpose and I wouldn't give up either.

Carried the GP100 around the property OWB for awhile, the SP101 rides and hides much easier, and I've never felt under gunned with the 5 shot 357.

My attitude is to acquire more and never give up any. Good luck.

I've shot the .357 mag for many years now and have every confidence in it. I'm definitely more comfortable with a wheel gun. For the most part, I've read nothing but good reviews on the Kahr. I would not be quick to discount the 9mm. I think there are several decent loads on the market that would do the job if you do yours.

los
    Hope this helps a bit, Springer.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Hope this helps a bit, Springer.

Los,

You are awesome!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

los
    LOL.

THANKS, Hawk.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Ruger SP-101 is way bigger and heavier than the Kahr PM9 so you won't be able to pocket carry. If you still want to pocket carry, but want a caliber with more stopping power than the 9mm then trade the Kahr PM9 for a Walther PPS .40 S&W, a Glock 27 or the Kahr PM40. If you don't want to pocket carry, then buy the Ruger SP-101 as it is a fantastic handgun for self-defense.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Why not just carry the gp 100? If it's a 3 or 4 inch it shouldn't be all that hard to conceal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Personally, I'd keep all of my guns and then purchase the SP101! That way you've got more options.
    That's what I'd do. I seem to NEVER get rid of any and just keep on adding more. I've only ever sold 2 guns, a 22 rifle and a 22 pistol. I regretted the rifle sale so much I bought another one like it 20 years later. The pistol...it malfed so much and aggravated me so much I never really missed it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links