P228 grip screws - safe to shoot?

This is a discussion on P228 grip screws - safe to shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I took my P228 to the firing range for the first time earlier today and put about 300 rounds down range. It was my ...

Thread: P228 grip screws - safe to shoot?

So I took my P228 to the firing range for the first time earlier today and put about 300 rounds down range. It was my first time firing it and it seemed to perform quite well. Unfortunately, when I got home, I noticed that one of the grip screws on my laser grip was missing. It must have come off as I was shooting it, but I didn't even notice it until I started cleaning the gun.

Tomorrow I'm going shooting with my grandfather and am wondering if it is okay to shoot with only 3 grip screws rather than 4. The grip seems stable enough and doesn't really move at all unless I take the mag out and pull on the bottom of it.

In addition, where can I buy additional screws? Is a local gun store likely to carry them or do I have to special order them?

Thanks for any advice?

PS: I currently have the CTC laser grips on it.

go to a hardware store,they probably have specialty screws in drawers in the hardware section,take one to match up,as long as the other screw keeps the grip secure should be okay,I've lost grip screws before and didn't notice it until cleaning.You might wanta check screws for tightness when cleaning your weapon in the future,keep a screwdriver/allen wrench in the cleaning kit as a reminder
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Blue loctite is your friend in this instance. I don't know why, but I've had trouble with all my Sig screws backing out at some point, that is until I loctited them in place-after that, no worries.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Administrator
    The gun will be perfectly fine to run with three grip screws. And yes, blue locktite is a good suggestion.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just make sure the length of the replacement screw is the same as the one you are replacing. If it's too long, it can cause problems.

I have an OLD Surefire light on my 229 and it is missing the top 2 grip screws b/c the switch mounts on the grip and the screws weren't long enough. She's a safe queen for now but if I ever considered carrying it again, i would go to a hardware store or machine shop for a replacement.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Sponsored Links