MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911

This is a discussion on MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 Customized Creationz Custom Gun Works Shop This guy puts ambi-safetys on P238s. He's doing one for my GF (enk5) at the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Customized Creationz Custom Gun Works Shop

This guy puts ambi-safetys on P238s. He's doing one for my GF (enk5) at the moment. She's wrong-handed too.
    What's that setting you back with shipping?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What's that setting you back with shipping?
    $180
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

yeah that dude ain't cheap. plus u gotta send it to him.

what's the turn around on that P238?

As little as I like the M&P series, I would get that since you are familiar with the system.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Capacity?

You didn't mention the application of this .45, but your focus on capacity would indicate that it will be used for anticipated gunfights with multiple attackers. Is that really likely in your case? Or will the 8+1 rounds of a 1911 be as useful as the 13+1 of the Glock 21? If this is a range gun it won't matter. And you can carry spare magazines.

Maybe you should worry less about capacity and focus instead on other attributes of the .45.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    spend 1000 on 1 pistol, or spend 500 on one and 500 on ammo?

you contradict yourself I think.

most people prefered MP over the HK45 btw
    What I'm getting at is you'd likely be a better shooter by spending the money on range time and training vs buying a new gun.

I don't place much stock in preference of people that haven't shot both options. The Yam article is interesting, I forgot he tested the hk45.

As for the taurus, there's another popular forum where a member excitedly posted a new thread about buying a PT1911 for his carry pistol. He became irate when many of the members told him he'd made a mistake. When his pistol arrived the thumb safety snapped off while doing a function check. He got to eat a lot of crow.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

In your case I would pick the M&P, in my case I would pick the Glock. For the same reasons go with what you are familiar with and if you are concerned about capacity carry a spare magazine or two.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Cool

I have carried the G-21SF for 4 years now and as a duty weapon I really like it. I have large hands so the grip size is no problem. The M&P has different size grip inserts so that may be an issue for you. Off duty I carry a G-19 , G-23 or G-36 because of their size and weight compaired to the G-21 SF. In cooler weather (not to common in Florida) the G-21SF conceals well under a jacket or sweatshirt but under lighter clothing not so well. It is a great shooter and 14 rounds of .45 ACP Golden Saber is very comforting.
    Last edited by Old School; March 23rd, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    glock
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I vote M&P, since you are already familiar with that particular system. If capacity of the magazine is a concern in regards to the 45, carry extra magazines. I have the 45c and enjoy it. It has been very reliable.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Glock 30, SF model if you prefer. Smaller frame, more concealable, plus shove a G21 mag in it and you're back up to 13 rds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Honestly check out a Glock 20SF with standard mags being 15 rounds it gives you the best firepower of the group. That would be my perfered full size.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have a PT1911, and it's served me well. I haven't had any malfunctions in about 2,000 rounds. I kinda fell into it, accidentally. As well as it's held up for me, if I were to spring for a 1911 it would probably be a Springfield or S&W. They have several nice models between $800 and $1,000.

Between the M&P and the Glock; the Glock for me. The M&P is a nice gun, some prefer it's ergonomics over the Glock. But, the Glock has a better trigger out of the box. Even after some aftermarket trigger kits, the M&P still doesn't have the Glock trigger.

If you want a high capacity .45, don't forget about the XD line. I would actually buy an XD before an M&P, but that's just me.

The .45 ACP XD has a 13+1 capacity

The XDm .45 ACP also has a 13+1 capacity, and is interchangeable with the standard XD magazines.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Don't rule out the XD .45 Compact. 4" with shortened grip holds 10 rds and 13 with extended mag.
    I second that.
    SA XD-45ACP
    Glock G36
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger LCR
    SIG P250 Full Size and SC 9mm

RKM
    Being familiar with a platform is always a plus. The M&P's are great guns, and you know them. The Glock's are proven, so are XD's, Hk's, Sig's..... many more options out there. Though, if it's a defensive pistol, I'd avoid the PT1911, because, it's a 1911 and a Taurus. As a range gun I'm sure it'd be fine. But I'd rather trust my life to the proven defensive firearms.... Glock, M&P's, XD's, Hk's, Sig's.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links