MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911

This is a discussion on MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm torn between the two... I love the MP series, and I'm used to the pistol as I have 3 of them (2x9FS, 1x9c) but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911

MP45 vs G21SF vs PT1911

I'm torn between the two...

I love the MP series, and I'm used to the pistol as I have 3 of them (2x9FS, 1x9c) but I want a .45 pistol...

I would love to get the MP45, but unfortunately the 10 rounds is a low count for me. the G21SF is a 13 round .45 which is the highest count .45 afaik. the 14 rounders are just too long, they wouldn't even fit a regular MP45 magazine holster.

I like the way both handle.

so what to go for? I might as well get a 1911 (they say everyman needs an AR15 and a 1911 lol) with a 9 count magazine. or go for the MP45 that I'm familiar with... I also have a MP9FS holster which should fit the MP45 as well.

so what to go for?

MP45
    PROS: Familiar w/pistol. Great handling, good looks, functional, best price. Lefty friendly
    CONS: Very low capacity for a pistol of this kind (at least for me)

G21SF
    PROS: Proven name, pistol, slimmer frame, easy to handle, highest capacity .45 (13), semi lefty friendly
    CONS: Harder to find, not familiar with glocks as I am with MPs, Don't have any holsters that it would fit.

1911 (I'm thinking PT1911)
    PROS: Awesome proven gun for 100 years, can be good tack drivers, heavy gun for a 45 to help recoil of a .45. Everyone needs to have one
    CONS: Low round count (7-8) Heavy can also be a bad thing. Can get expensive, not reliable as a Glock or a MP pistol. more prone to rust.

So I broke it down real nice... let me know what you guys think!

ps. while I was posting this, someone just bought my MP9FS with a TLR-1 so now I have the funds to make my purchase this week!!!

2. Remove Ads

Hey, you forgot the best .45 out there, the HK45C (ie. the compact version). Uber reliable, accurate, and as large as a Glock 19... and you can get it in any trigger you want, DA/SA, LEM, with or without safety...

I had a USP45. that was my 1st gun :) not a HK45, but I prefered the USP (higher cap as well)

I just don't have the money to get one of those right now...

if I had the extra cash, that's what I'd get. I wish I never sold mine.... it was a sad day when I did :(

Glock.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Don't rule out the XD .45 Compact. 4" with shortened grip holds 10 rds and 13 with extended mag.
    Proud NRA member

If money is tight enough that you can't afford a HK45 vs a M&P, why not just stick with the pistols you already have and spend your money on ammo? I have a feeling that route will serve you better in the long run.

If you decide to get a 1911, don't get a Taurus.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Go with the platform that you know. The M&P. IMO, there is a lot of training that has to go into a 1911 if your not use to a thumb safety.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    If money is tight enough that you can't afford a HK45 vs a M&P, why not just stick with the pistols you already have and spend your money on ammo? I have a feeling that route will serve you better in the long run.

spend 1000 on 1 pistol, or spend 500 on one and 500 on ammo?

you contradict yourself I think.

most people prefered MP over the HK45 btw

VIP Member
    M&P hands down
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post

Rather go with a taurus then a kimber becacuse i know the cnc machined 1911 will go bang unlike some kimbers
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Rather go with a taurus then a kimber becacuse i know the cnc machined 1911 will go bang unlike some kimbers
    Who said anything about Kimber? Ditto on the not buying a Taurus, or Kimber for that matter.

taseal,

If money is tight I'd suggest just axing the 1911 from the list. 1911, mags, holsters etc....as you're a lefty you'd probably want an ambi safety, it all adds up in a hurry decent 1911 mags are about $30 ea. Besides, if the capacity of a M&P 45 is "too low" you don't want a 1911, you're looking at 8 tops unless you go to an extended magazine. Get one later on down the road, they aren't great budget guns.

And unless you buy a turd of a gun or are just too lazy to clean a gun, a 1911 is no more rust prone than anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Who said anything about Kimber? Ditto on the not buying a Taurus, or Kimber for that matter.

taseal,

If money is tight I'd suggest just axing the 1911 from the list. 1911, mags, holsters etc....as you're a lefty you'd probably want an ambi safety, it all adds up in a hurry decent 1911 mags are about $30 ea. Besides, if the capacity of a M&P 45 is "too low" you don't want a 1911, you're looking at 8 tops unless you go to an extended magazine. Get one later on down the road, they aren't great budget guns.
    yeah, ambi safety is a must. I really want a Sig P238 (i got my gf one actually) but it doesn't have a lefty safety so I can't really utilize it (it's doable, but hard/annoying)

Why the hate on the Taurus 1911 from some of you guys?

do a PT1911 review search on google and you'll see 95% of people (who own it) love the pistol. (it also is lefty friendly for me) There is a 900 round stress shoot for it on youtube, and it doens't jam the whole 901 rounds. that's exceptional for a 1911

I've shot a Taurus Mil pro 24/7 or something once and it was the most horrible pistol I ever shot. but just the things I've heard the 1911 is nothing like their other semi pistols...

wish someone had one for me to go shoot around here in my town...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Don't forget the Sig p250, FS is 10 rounds, compact is 9, subcompact is 6. Running around 400 bucks around the web. And its ambi friendly.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

JD
    Administrator
    Without turning this into a Taurus bashing thread....their quality isn't that great, I've got ball point pens with better machining than their front strap, their safeties break, they have bad customer service..

As for 95%, take a look at the number of people on a forum that can't figure out how to drop a deuce while carrying a gun, take a look at the number of people that love their Hi Points....do I need to go on? Ask anyone that's worked behind a gun counter about how many Taurus products they have to send back.

It's your money, you can spend it however you want, but if you're on a budget it would be unwise to spend it on a gun made by people with an overall negative rep.

There are several members on this forum that used to defend the Taurus brand, only to have it bite them in the rear when their luck ran out.

Are there PT1911s that run well? I'm sure there are but why take the risk? You've got a number of guns all ready, save up and buy something that's worth the effort. The difference between a Taurus Pt1911 and a S&W, Springfield, Colt, etc is only about $200 pending on exact models, if you buy used and buy smart you can really close the gap and get a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I really want a Sig P238 (i got my gf one actually) but it doesn't have a lefty safety so I can't really utilize it (it's doable, but hard/annoying)
    Customized Creationz Custom Gun Works Shop

This guy puts ambi-safetys on P238s. He's doing one for my GF (enk5) at the moment. She's wrong-handed too.

Of the guns you listed I'd say M&P45

If you can swing the extra cash I'd say Springfield Loaded 1911.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links