Which would you pick if same price?

This is a discussion on Which would you pick if same price? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A black Kahr PM9 with night sights or a MK9? IWB carry for me. Also how does black Kahr finish hold up...scratches etc..? Pro's con's...thanks!...

View Poll Results: Which Kahr

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • MK9 Standard Sights

9 17.65%
  • PM9 Black with NS

42 82.35%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alnitak

Thread: Which would you pick if same price?

Which would you pick if same price?

A black Kahr PM9 with night sights or a MK9? IWB carry for me. Also how does black Kahr finish hold up...scratches etc..? Pro's con's...thanks!

2. Remove Ads

My PM9 is Matte Stainless and has held up well. I believe the Black finish is a Matte Black Stainless, it should hold up equally as well but that is a guess on my part. I chose the PM over the MK because I like the smaller lighter guns.

Distinguished Member
    I have no experienced with Kahr.

That said, I'd likely pick the MK. I prefer full steel to polymer, so I'd rather get the MK and add night sights.

They appear equal in all other regards.

(BTW, I clicked the wrong option on the poll, and can't change my vote )

I say PM9 with NS. I dig plastic!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

GM
    Which one? It depends. If you are going to shoot it more than carry it you might like the heavier MK9 better, but if you are going to carry it more than shoot it you might like the lightweight PM9 better instead. The MK9 and the PM9 are the exact same size, but the MK9 is heavier (pistol with empty mag: 24 oz vs. 15.9 oz). IMO it is not difficult at all to carry the MK9 IWB if you have a good holster. Both of them are very good firearms and you can always change the sights later on. I cannot tell about the black finish.

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    My PM9 is Matte Stainless and has held up well. I believe the Black finish is a Matte Black Stainless, it should hold up equally as well but that is a guess on my part. I chose the PM over the MK because I like the smaller lighter guns.
    The MK9 and the PM9 are the exact same size; the difference is that the MK9 is heavier (stainless steel vs. poly).
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I have a PM9 black slide with night sights.

First, the black finish is some very durable. It isn't paint. I think it recall it being electroplated teflon or something like that. Mine is still black as the day I bought it, about six years ago.

Second, the night sights are cool, but I haven't found them particularly useful. Since the time I bought mine the crimson trace lasers have become a lot more practical. If I had it to do over again I'd save money on the sights and go for the laser. The night sights don't last forever, and they have caused me a bit of trouble at the airport with the radiation scanner.

As for the weight, I think the polymer was a good choice for carry, but is a bear to shoot. I really feel the recoil and my groups suffer because of it. I did a lot better at the range with my friend's metal K40. I know my PM9 can get excellent groups. I've seen it, just not in my hands. Depends if you plan to shoot it for fun or carry it for protection. It isn't much fun, but I can almost forget I'm carrying it.

Correction, not teflon. Tungsten DLC, source: Police Magazine
    Last edited by BaconHunter; March 23rd, 2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: correction

I chose the PM9 for weight of carry and option of pocket carry.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

VIP Member
    PM9 because of the weight.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

IWB? The MK9

Steel MK9

I went through the same decision process a few years ago and picked the steel MK9 for IWB carry. The decision has turned out well and I would make these points:

1. For IWB carry the extra weight of the steel gun is not a problem in ease of carry, and the weight is very useful in accuracy when shooting the gun.

2. I was deterred from the polymer Kahrs by the many stories of problems on gun blogs like this one. The steel guns have a much better reputation.

3. The steel Kahrs are more durable than the polymer, and also look much better.

4. Night sights on a short range gun like this are not very useful, in my opinion.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Can't go wrong with either one. If you are truly only going to carry IWB, then the MK9 will work. The extra weight does make it a little softer shooter. However, I purchased the PM9 for the flexibility to carry in the pocket. Mine has been flawless in 3+ years.

Regarding the recoil on the PM9, I don't find it harsh at all. A little more snap than larger pistols, especially with +P ammo, but by no means harsh or uncontrollable. Follow-up shots are not affected.

As far as night sights go, I'm not sure why the "short-range" nature of the gun is a consideration. If the OP is referring to the short sight radius, then that is only a potential accuracy issue at long distances -- not sure what night sights have to do with it. However, from the bench, the PM9 shoots 2 1/2" groups at 25 yards -- comparable to many larger frame pistols. This is not a "belly gun" like a P3AT, good only as a close-up, last resort. I would have no concerns with taking a head shot at 15 yards in a hostage situation. If the night sight comment was directed to "Are they useful in an SD situation?", it seems to me they would be more useful in that kind of encounter than one where you are lining up a 25-yard shot -- not that I would be inclined to take such a shot at night anyway. Night sights are a personal preference. They are on all of my SD pistols. Not sure why the PM9 would be any different.
    surefire7 likes this.

poco2
    Sweet set up, I like that.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

PM9 here.... For me, the carry weight rules the day. Both are top shelf IMB, but I'll take a lighter pistol over a heavier one any day.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links