Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm

This is a discussion on Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd recommend the Ruger SR9c. 10 round magazine for more discreet carry and the 17 round magazine if carry method permits the extra size....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm

I'd recommend the Ruger SR9c. 10 round magazine for more discreet carry and the 17 round magazine if carry method permits the extra size.

2. Remove Ads

Another vote here for the Glock 26
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

+1 on the Taurus PT111.

Obviously everyone is just going to recommend their favorite gun, so I may as well do the same. I carry a PT111 every day. It is a 12+1 capacity 9mm. I believe it is a great gun for the price and form factor.

I'll dito the SR9c by Ruger. Lighter recoil than the Taurus she has now and the grips are still quite slim for a double stack. Best to take her shopping and let her handle and try some out.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I suggest you have your wife look at the following sub-compact and compact double stack 9mm handguns. If I had to recommend one, I think I would go with the Glock 26 since it is very reliable, lightweight, small and works with all kinds of high capacity mags.

• Glock 26 Sub-Compact (10+1 mag and works with Glock 19, Glock 17 and Glock 18 33 round mags)
    • Springfield XD Sub-Compact (10 or 15 round mags)
    • Heckler & Koch P2000 Sub-Compact (10 or 13 round mags)
    • Ruger SR9 Compact (10+1 or 17+1 mag)
    • Walther P99AS Compact (10 rounds)
    • Beretta Px4 Storm Sub-Compact (13 rounds)
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by cc9mm View Post
    The Ruger SR9c comes pretty close to the dimensions of the 709 and has an external safety if that is important to her.
    I will second this one big time. The SR9c is what I would recommend. Awesome gun, great size and weight. Give it a look.
    Simms65 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is smaller than the Glock or XD and is 13+1 capacity. Has an external hammer with de-cocker DA/SA modes and a manual safety if wanted on top of that. I own the PT709, Bersa Thunder 9 uc, and a Springfield XD40sc (same size as the 9 version). I can take pics comparing them all and each to the 709 if you like. When I need something with more capacity than my 709 and just slightly larger, the Bersa gets the nod. I actually carry them in the same holsters.

Let me know on the comparison pics and I'll take them tomorrow.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Don't forget the Beretta PX4-SC ... 12 + 1
    XD SC -- 15+ 1
    XDM -- 18 or 19 +1

easier method ; extra mags and practice loading them quickly. .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by derbow View Post
    +1 on the Taurus PT111.

Obviously everyone is just going to recommend their favorite gun, so I may as well do the same. I carry a PT111 every day. It is a 12+1 capacity 9mm. I believe it is a great gun for the price and form factor.
    I hate to admit it(not cause I'm a Taurus basher but an avid Glock lover) but the PT111 might be right up her alley. The G26 might be a bit too thick in the grip for her liking.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

They now make an extended mag for the PT709 also. I saw it on their website.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    My #1 for what your looking for is the Glock 19 hands down! If the glock just doesn't fit the bill cuz of the grip or whatever my second choice would be a XDM 3.8 compact I just handled one and they are pretty sweet I thing they are 13+1 with the small mag and the extra mags are full length.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Thinking outside the box a little...

Rather than a higher capacity gun, how about just adding a second gun? A LCP in a belly band would disappear in all but the tightest clothes (this is what my wife uses), and no worries about getting separated from her gun, as she now apparently carries in a "gun purse." Off body carry has lots of issues, but I understand for some women it works best with some clothes.

If her primary stops working for any reason, there's no reason to dither trying to maybe get it running right. Just drop it and use your secondary. No reload or malfunction clearance drill works faster than simply pulling another gun - even if "just" a .380 or a .32.

Think about it. Good luck.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I am going to echo the Glock 26. I spent some serious range time with mine last night and it is an extremely accurate weapon system. If she is carrying in a purse I would recommend the 19. My wife carries in a purse and she loves the 19 for that purpose.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

los
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ...How about a Keltec P-11, it is about as small as your going to get with that capacity.
    A BIG Plus 1..!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    I would offer the M&P9c.
    You can get it with/without a safety, with or without the magazine disconnect(it can fire wth the mag out of it)

heavy enough to offer little recoil, but light enough to carry.

I would NOT get the Kel-tecP11, simply because, while being good at what it is, I don't believe, for a woman with recoil sensitivity , and the trigger pull being very hard, it would be a wise choice.
    I have one, it makes a very good BUG and truck gun,(I leave it in vehicle at work)

But its not a range/easy shooter.

Liberals are like Slinkies…Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links