Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm

This is a discussion on Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is looking to replace her current concealed carry gun for something that hold a few more rounds, She currently carries a Taurus PT709 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm

Looking for a higher capacity compact 9mm

My wife is looking to replace her current concealed carry gun for something that hold a few more rounds, She currently carries a Taurus PT709 slim,Its a great gun but being compact only holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm. She's does carry a spare clip but said she would rather have a higher capacity magazine. Only thing is she would prefer something similar in size to her Taurus but she's flexible on that,I thought about Glock but I'm not real familiar with them. Also it needs to be 9mm because she's had several hand and wrist surgeries and is afraid she couldnt handle anything bigger than that.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Glock 26 is nice. Glocks go bang and are not picky, glocks are know to take abuse and will work dirty. Other than no external safety (some like some dont) and being somewhat ugly there are no negatives I can think of.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

How about the XD Sub-compact?

I second the glock. I own a G19 and my fiancee loves it, she wants me to buy her her own G26!

I have an XD-M with slim grips that carries 19+1. But it is large for carry. I have a gun purse with a separate pocket, and it fits in nicely.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

The Ruger SR9c comes pretty close to the dimensions of the 709 and has an external safety if that is important to her.
    TN_Mike, Simms65 and gottabkiddin like this.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

How does she carry? GLOCK 26 is the perfect sub-compact 9x19 pistol, but you don't want it sloshing about in a purse without the trigger protected.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    How about the XD Sub-compact?
    +1 on the XD SC. 13 and 16 (with extension) round mags.

Thanks, I'lll show her the Glocks and the XD sub,She has been carrying in a Gun Toten Moma Hobo purse,but she really doesnt like it because the compartment for the gun is too small. She's also fairly new to carrying so an external safety would be nice option.

How about a Keltec P-11, it is about as small as your going to get with that capacity. I will also throw in the Taurus PT111 for a look. Yea some bashing will commence now, but I believe Taurus got it right with the PT111.

Let her look at several and shoot them if it is possible, then let her pick.

External safety might or might not be for her. My wife won't carry anything with a safety because she doesn't want to forget taking it off if in a SD situation. Point, pull trigger, bang is what she likes. I don't argue with her as long as she is carrying every day.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Either the Glock 19 or the 26...for 9mm.
    Have her handle both and let her decide.
    Either would work very well.
    Dragman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

M&P compact, 12+1, interchangeable grips....doesn't get much better than that. My wife loves hers.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
    +1 on the XD SC. 13 and 16 (with extension) round mags.
    I agree, nice gun. No external safety however, but has a couple nice safety features that make a safety unnecessary (?).

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    My wife is looking to replace her current concealed carry gun for something that hold a few more rounds, She currently carries a Taurus PT709 slim,Its a great gun but being compact only holds 7+1 rounds of 9mm. She's does carry a spare clip but said she would rather have a higher capacity magazine.
    You have some good suggestions among the posts here, and let me add mine: Even if she gets a gun with higher capacity, she still needs to always carry a spare magazine. With autoloaders, the most likely cause of malfunctions is nearly always the magazine... and if tap-rack-bang won't get the gun back in the fight, a fresh magazine usually will.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You have some good suggestions among the posts here, and let me add mine: Even if she gets a gun with higher capacity, she still needs to always carry a spare magazine. With autoloaders, the most likely cause of malfunctions is nearly always the magazine... and if tap-rack-bang won't get the gun back in the fight, a fresh magazine usually will.
    Agreed, I always carry at least one spare mag when carrying my G19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links