357 Revolvers Which One, S&W 640, S&W 60, Ruger Sp-101 or LCR 357?

This is a discussion on 357 Revolvers Which One, S&W 640, S&W 60, Ruger Sp-101 or LCR 357? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want a revolver for some CC and for woods walking, I have other daily carry guns so it is not a EDC. Requirements: #1. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 357 Revolvers Which One, S&W 640, S&W 60, Ruger Sp-101 or LCR 357?

I want a revolver for some CC and for woods walking, I have other daily carry guns so it is not a EDC.

Requirements:

#1. Smooth Double action
    #2. Accurate
    #3. Handle heavy loads
    #4. Easy to carry AIWB
    #5. 2"-3" Barrel

Which one do you favor and why?

I would go with the Ruger SP-101. Nothing against the Smith's. If it were going to be used as an EDC, I would have chosen the LCR but if that is not a main concern, the SP-101 would be MY choice.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

From your list I'd be tempted to pick the Smith & Wesson Model 640.

Why? For exactly the 5 requirements you list.

I'd actually spend my money on a good used 6-shot Smith & Wesson Model 66 with 2 1/2-inch barrel. Even though the model is discontinued I would consider it to be a superior choice to "all of the above" as it meets the 5 requirements even better than they do and holds an additional round.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm getting the itch to add a revolver to my collection and will be heading in the Ruger SP101 direction.

I just bought an SP101 357. I love it. I did my initial get to know the pistol the other day. All shots were fired DA. I thought it had a very good trigger just like it was. I guess it just fit my hand. My EDC was a charter arms bulldog pug 44 special. So I am used to shooting DA. The 357 recoil is snappier than the 44 special.
    Bottom line. You can not go wrong with your decision. I'm just happy with mine.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have the 640 and also a 642 (.38 spcl). I like the 640 much better because the extra weight, which is not a problem to carry all day IWB, is much better at attenuating the recoil forces. I have also shot a 101 as my shooting buddy has one. I prefer the trigger and feel of the 640. You won't go wrong with either the 640 or the 101.

The added plus is the 640 will fit in your 642 holsters - I see the 642 in your sig line. This will save you some $$ on holsters and you already know what you like.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Gp100, 3", .357.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Gp100, 3", .357.
    I forgot about this one. This is absolutely a great choice based on your criteria. I just built a OWB holster for one with a sweat shield. It was for a local customer. He wears it concealed and really loves the fact that he now can carry this tank. It is heavy.
    NRA Life Member

I'm partial to the Ruger LCR, mainly for the trigger and weight, but any of um in your list would make an excellent revolver for carry IMO. It's also my opinion that the DAO trigger on the LCR is much better than any others on the list. I have a S&W a Taurus and the LCR, out those the LCR trigger is loads better and the carry weight is unreal and very pleasant comparatively. FWIW
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Gp100, 3", .357.
    Good suggestion. The S&W 686 plus with 2.5" or 3" barrel would fill the bill well too and put a 7th round at your service if you don't mind a little weight.

GP100 3 inch

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I found this pic I had of the GP100 3 inch. Awesome gun. My wife has the 4 inch barrel GP. The trigger is not as smooth as my SP or my LCR. But I think that could be fixed.
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

I bought the SP101 2.25" bbl and I absolutely love it. It carries IWB great, it handles the ful loads well, it is very accurate (surprisingly accurate to longer distances), and it is fun to shoot. I replaced the main spring with a wolff 10# and it smoothed the trigger out nicely. I really like the 3" version, but for me the shorter barrel is a little more versatile for carry and it diesn't seem to diminish the accuracy at all.

I think any of the ones you have mentioned along with the GP mentioned would be great. I've got several S&W snub 38s (one airweight and one steel). For .357, I'd personally shy away from the airweights if you want something you can shoot a bit at the range and enjoy it. The .357 LCR has a good following and people really like them and seem to like the trigger out of the box. The Smiths, well, their Smiths and they are great weapons. The shrouded hammer steel version would be an awesome carry piece, no snag, and give you the SA option. You really can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned at this point...it comes down to personal preference and feel in hand.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

My next woods gun will be a Glock 29 in 10mm. But for now I vote SP101. I have the 3 inch and its a great gun. Enough weight to handle full power Buffalo Bore .357s for a woods gun. And small enough to switch to some hollow points and it makes a good cc gun to take out on the town. The SP101 is quite possibly the PERFECT revolver.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I'll add another vote for the 640. I've had the trigger worked on mine and it is very smooth. It handles quite well with the .357 loads I've tried (BB, CD, GD) and feels "just right" in my hand. The 640 seems to be a bit easier to conceal than the SP101, and as someone already pointed out, you probably have holsters that it will fit.

Out of the ones you mentioned; I honestly honestly would be 100% good with any one of em..
    Old School likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links