M&P 45 vs 45c vs Glock 26&19

This is a discussion on M&P 45 vs 45c vs Glock 26&19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a 26 and a 19 that I carry. I held a friends M&P 45 yesterday and wow. I have always had a ...

Thread: M&P 45 vs 45c vs Glock 26&19

M&P 45 vs 45c vs Glock 26&19

I currently have a 26 and a 19 that I carry. I held a friends M&P 45 yesterday and wow. I have always had a love hate relationship with my Glocks but this gun just felt right. I dont want this to be a Glock vs M&P thread. The reason I mention my Glocks is to get an idea of how they compare size wise. I am trying to decide between a 45 and a 45 compact. I have smaller hands and I carry AIWB. I find the length of the grip the issue for concealability and the length of barrel the issue for comfort. If anyone has a 45 and a 45c which do you prefer is there benefits or pros and cons one way or the other. IF you also have a Glock how do the M&P's fit in sizewise in with the 26 and 19. Capacity isnt a big issue for me I am normally comfortable with a 5 shot j frame and a reload would be easy to carry. What are your thoughts on the M&P 45's

2. Remove Ads

The 45c is going to be almost the exact same size as your g19, just slightly wider. The 45m and 45fs are going to have the grip length of a fullsize pistol. The option for a manual safety will give and extra margin for error, which I think is pretty important given the risks of AIWB.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I have a full size M&P45 and its a great pistol. I have owned Glocks but no matter how much I want to like them, they just dont fit me very well, so there is no comparison for me. I would suggest a 45c given your chosen carry method.

I own a sub compact Springfield XD .40, which comes with 9 and 12 round mags. The 9 round mag is easier to conceal, but you loose grip surface. Pearce Grips makes a grip extender for several brands including Glock, that solves that problem and minimally effects concealability.

Here's what mine looks like:
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I owned a M&P 45 full size and a 45C I went back to the glocks myself. can't beat a 29 or a 30.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    The M&P 40 full size in the video and the Glock 23 (which is the same size as the Glock 19)
    YouTube - Glock vs M&P
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I owned a M&P 45 full size and a 45C I went back to the glocks myself. can't beat a 29 or a 30.
    Same here. Went g30->m&p45c->g36

I owned a 45c which I liked partly for the same reason you do. The slightly shorter grip aided in concealing the handle. That being said the gun did feel noticeably thicker to me which decreased over all concealment. However that is possibly due to by slim size. That being said I think the Glock 26 is one of the best concealing, high(er) capacity sub compact guns ever made. My only complaint with it was the uncomfortable grip which has been remedied in the new gen 4's which has subsequently made my put it on my short "To Buy" list for this year.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I went to a G36 for pocket carry, a G30SF for coat carry and IWB carry and a G21SF for main carry. They fit my hand and they function. great back-ups to my 1911's
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member
    M&P 45c (in FIST Dave Spaulding) not IWB, but gives an idea of fit. I'm 5'7" 130 lbs. This is not a summer carry option for me.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Cool

My G-23 or G-19 works fine for me in a High Noon Public Secret holster. My G-36 carries in a Side Guard holster. I like Glocks and they feel right in my hand so that is what I carry. Carry what you are most confident with.
    photo.jpgphoto.JPG
    Click photo to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I carry a G19 sometimes and love it. As far as the M&P 45c goes, I also carry it alot and love it as well, the M&P's especially in 45 feel better in my hand than the Glocks. I think the M&P's are fine weapons, but so is Glock. It just depends on what you like best. I don't think there is that much differance in size between the G19 and the M&P 45c.

I went to the local toy store yesterday and it further complicated it. The 30 and the 36 didnt really "fit" my hand. I still like the way the M&P 45 felt. Ive yet to be able to handle a M&P 45C. I did hold a Kahr CW45. Wow its the same size of my 3913 that I carry quite often. Though price isnt the main concern I can get the M&P 45 used for $450 with a box of ball ammo, I can get the CW45 for $425 + tax and the M&P 45c for $509 + tax. Im selling my 19 today this is how I am going to fund my new 45.

The compact grip does help with concealment. The longer slide isn't as big of a deal. It's really the grip length that tends to make it tough to conceal.

I don't have any experience with the M&P 45c, but I do hear good things about it. I have an XD45c. It also comes with a 13 round magazine that offers a full sized grip. So it's like two guns in one. I don't know if the M&P offers the same thing, but I would imagine it would. Given that, it's probably a better idea to snatch up the compact variety, since if you really hate it, you could always just use the full-sized magazine. But it's tough to go the other way with a regular MP45.

Links