Ruger SR9c Range Report Plus

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9c Range Report Plus within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a brand new Ruger sr9c from my local shop, first thing I did was take the magazine disconnect out. This is extremely simple. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9c Range Report Plus

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Picked up a brand new Ruger sr9c from my local shop, first thing I did was take the magazine disconnect out. This is extremely simple.

Cost: Paid just under 480 out the door. They could probably be had for less, but the big selling point was Ruger is in Prescott AZ, so I decided that at least most of my money would be staying the AZ if I bought from a local dealer; however, that is most likely wishful thinking.

Carry: Been carrying in an Uncle "Yikes" (Mikes) Soft IWB holster. I tossed the frisbee around in the street with my roomate, and even with jumping, running, and other physical type movements it stayed in place very well. Haven't had any problems yet, but I do have some leather on the way. With the 10 round Mag it completely disappears with just a tshirt on. The 17 round mag is in it while the gun in on nightstand duty.

Range Report: I've put 400 rounds of federal and WWB through it without a single hiccup. My carry ammo is Winchester SXT JHP 127gr +p+. Put two mags through it with no hiccups. I realize that one should test their carry ammo, but I don't feel like putting 200 rounds of +p+ is healthy for that small of a gun. The adjustable sights were right on target with a "6 o'clock hold" sight picture. This is what I prefer however if your mileage varies, the sights are adjustable. My groups were 2 inches from 15 yards slow fire off hand. Combat speed all hits were COM. I even managed to hit a 12"x12" steel plate from just over 100 yards. Not bad out of a 3.5 inch bbl.

Misc. Thoughts: I like the trigger, ambi saftey, and the ambi mag release. One improvement that could be made (are you listening Ruger?) is make the safety a touch bigger. While it isn't difficult to get to for me at the range, I'd feel more comfortable if it were bigger in a SD scenario because when the adrenaline gets going all those fine motor skills seem to go away. I really am a fan on the 17 round mag sleeve because it is very comfortable and there is no pinching on any fingers. I do wish that the sleeve was permanently attached, but haven't lost it yet.
    I've read in some places that people thought he trigger was down right "gritty." I believe this is from people dry-firing the gun without the magazine in. The magazine disconnect is really a misnomer because it just blocks the firing pin channel if the magazine is not in i.e. you can still pull the trigger. If this is done enough I believe it could blunt the tip of the firing pin.

Hope this helps,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Your range report means NOTHING, because you didnt post PICS.
    Just kiddin... Thanks for the review. Ive been eyein the SR9C for sometime. Im going to the range tomorrow to see if they have one I can shoot.
    Last edited by wormy; March 24th, 2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

GM
    Congrats on the new Ruger. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Same results for me. Conceals easy, mag disconnect is laughably easy to remove, it's spot-on accurate, and the trigger is amazing.

To stay on that for a moment, the two things that had me looking at the SR9c were the capacity and the trigger. My main concern was the stiffness of the springs, but as others have found, after around 600 rounds or so they loosen up enough that it's comfortable to rack and the slide lock can function as a release.

It's also very easy to work on - dead simple breakdown for cleaning and maintenance.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Enjoy your new SR9c. Mine's run great with a little over 1700 rounds through it with no problems whatsover.

Mine has been flawless as well. My EDC.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

How does the SR9C compare in size to a Glock 26?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

congrats on the new pistol

We definitely need pics
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Congrats! I've got over 1800 rounds though mine, and carry it every day. It's a great gun!

Another range report - just got back from a short session (approx 200 rds). Finally getting the accuracy I know the gun is capable of - good, fist-sized group at 15 yrds, no fliers. No issues whatsoever. Using the Uplula mag loader makes reloading easy.

Yes, the SR9c is a Great Gun! Love mine...

SDG enjoy your's....
    You'll be buying other SR/LC guns in the future...

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

VIP Member
    Congratulations!!!!!

Ruger, more often than not, makes a high quality firearm.

Plato:
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Love mine 1200 rounds through it and works great its my primary CC weapon..Replaced a Glock 23. I consider the switch to the SR9c a UPGRADE :)
    Attached Images

I carry the 10 round magazines with the extension, I find they are more concealable. One issue I have found with the 17 round magazine is that often the magazine will not drop free because your hand is still on the grip extension. Something to think about (and PRACTICE) if you carry with the extended magazine plus a spare mag.

I added a Ghost Rocket to mine this last week and it makes a decent trigger even better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links