Kimber Solo Carry Review - Page 2

Kimber Solo Carry Review

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "i called kimber today and talked to them about the issues i was having . . . they said that this gun was designed to ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry Review

Solo with Multiple Issues

"i called kimber today and talked to them about the issues i was having . . . they said that this gun was designed to function on 124 grain minimum. 115 didnt have enough recoil to cycle the slide fast enough"

"i will not bash this gun yet as some have because if you look at high end 1911s it can take a couple thousand rounds before they are 100%."

I own a Kimber SIS Ultra 45. Was hesitant to buy it when I read all the posts about cycling issues with JHP in Kimber Ultra models and Kimber issues in particular. I must say, I have had no trouble with any JHP product and I have used a half dozen different brands. I have had virtually no problems at all, unless I slack on the cleaning. I have high end Springfield 1911 as well, and too is close to 100% trouble free. New guns are like new anything, prone to have issues. I'll stick with my Kahr K9, MK40 and my Springfield EMP 40 for small conceal firearms. The MK40 is the smallest of these three. They are all very accurate, and there is no problem with any ammo that I have shot. From lightest to heaviest grain, FMJ, JHP, FTX, they all cycle just fine. For the money, the Solo should have night sights. I looked at one just yesterday, after checking it out, my search for one has ended. This review only solidified my thoughts. Still love my Kimber SIS 1911 Ultra, and waiting to check out the new Super Carry HD PRO.

Good luck with your Solo, I hope they get the bugs worked out and that the 115 begins to cycle or they solve the problem somehow. It bothers me that they sell it as a 9mm gun but then tell you that it needs to be 124 grain; that's just not right. That is too restrictive to not be mentioned in the sales and marketing tools they use.

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    I did a review on this gun after running 100 rounds through it, as a rental. Kimber Solo Carry Review | Handgun World Show

I wasn't real impressed. I already own a PM9 and I was comparing this pistol to my PM9. I found absolutely no reason to switch.
    After reading some reviews on it, I'm glad I chose the PM40 myself. :hand20:

OP, I hope you're able to get the kinks worded out and it starts to run like it should for ya.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

i finally got the opportunity for another range visit a few days ago. i took 100 124g (RWS fmj) and 50 115g (winchester white box fmj). i also received the two extra mags that i ordered from kimber. i only had 3 ftfs two of which where 115g and one was 124g.

i labeled the mags before i began to see which ones had failures. all three failures were with the two newest never used mags. after the first range trip i loaded the original mag and let it sit in my safe for more than a week to hopefully help set the spring. it looks like that helped since it had no failures.

also, all three failures where after 75-100 rounds and i am pretty sure the gun was near dry condition.

all in all my confidence is mostly restored in this new little pistol. one more range trip should be all it needs to be fully broken in and reliable.

very nice gun...

jyo
    Yeah, to read about it in the gun press, you would think this thing is the best---but but when you get yours to the range, thats when reality rears its ugly head---I am sticking with my two CW9s and my Walther PPS 9mm.
    crzy4guns likes this.

Another range update today. i was about 50/50 on winchester white box 115g fmj. i already new from my first trip with the solo that it didnt like it, but i just wanted to put some more rounds through it. i have had really good luck with the RWS 124g fmj. that is what i am keeping it loaded with for now since i know it will shoot it reliably. i did a test with it and went through three mags in quick succession with no issues. i am still looking forward to the 8 round mag to see how they work out. i have found out that with 115g the gun is more reliable if it is loaded 5+1 and not to full capacity of 6+1. i also think that the extractor has a few issues with how it attaches to the bullet casing. the only real issue i am having is the failure to fully eject. it is almost like the extractor is slipping off the round when it is almost ready to kick it out. i will try to get a picture of it to post to see if anyone else's look this way. can anyone post a closeup pic of their solo extractor?

I am glad I made the decision I did. No issues at all with the lc9. Can't shoot anything less that 124gr?? Ridiculous. Break in period? No way. Good luck with your Kimber
    JD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am glad I made the decision I did. No issues at all with the lc9. Can't shoot anything less that 124gr?? Ridiculous. Break in period? No way. Good luck with your Kimber
    Not to mention it is almost $300 more expensive.

i sent my solo back to kimber yesterday for repairs. i should get it back in 2-3 weeks. i'll update when i get it back.

los
    I've read a few threads claiming that the mag catch is flawed and that Kimber is waiting for a new batch to come in from the MC contractor. Hopefully that will fix the issues with premature magazine release.

The Solo is a very nice pistol, indeed.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

SOLO

yesterday my friend met me at our club and had with him, besides 'our' subgun--a new SOLO. i mention the subgun cause i load special (shy of a +P 124gr) for it. troubles running the SOLO were quickly overcome by running it wet (rem oil--a spray on the rails every 50 or so rounds) and using my warmish loads. between us we shot near 300 rounds; all but the first 30 were flawless.
    accuracy was fist sized at 25 feet. plenty good for a SD gun. recoil did not beat up the palm/web area of my hand and lock time was typical of striker fired semi's.
    were i not on the list for a Boberg id be very interested in the SOLO
    ----------------
    make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
    light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo542 View Post
    i also think that the extractor has a few issues with how it attaches to the bullet casing. the only real issue i am having is the failure to fully eject. it is almost like the extractor is slipping off the round when it is almost ready to kick it out. i will try to get a picture of it to post to see if anyone else's look this way. can anyone post a closeup pic of their solo extractor?

Please do take some photos of your Kimber Solo, and let us have a look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Please do take some photos of your Kimber Solo, and let us have a look at this.

I took some pics when I boxed it up to send off to kimber so I had something to compair to. Ill up load them tonight.

Here is one from another member...mine was not this bad.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Kimber has ceased production on the solo carry, so they know something is wrong.
    I hope they work out the bugs, because it sure is a great looking gun.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links