Kimber Solo Carry Review

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Never buy a new model gun from ANY maker the first year it comes out. Ask me how I know......

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry Review

Never buy a new model gun from ANY maker the first year it comes out.

Ask me how I know...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Kimber has ceased production on the solo carry, so they know something is wrong.
    I hope they work out the bugs, because it sure is a great looking gun.
    Can you document this information concerning Kimber ceasing production?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

here are the pics, if you look close you can see that the hook on the extractor is really just the bottom tip of the extractor and not the full length. hopw the pics are ok, kinda hard to take closeups.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Dang, I was hoping things went smooth with the Solo. I had an Ultra CDP II that I liked a lot. For now, I'll continue to roll with my PM9.

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Can you document this information concerning Kimber ceasing production?
    Sure, go to the Kimber web site, I did.

http://www.kimber1911pistols.com/sto...olo-carry-9mm/

Here's what you see:
    Solo Carry 9mm
    (Click to Enlarge) Picture did not copy/paste.
    Quantity:
    Price: $725.00

"This product has sold out.
    Solo Carry 9mm

Update 3-1-2011 – We have closed pre-orders. If you want to be notified about availability, feel free to email john@osagecountyguns.com. At this point, we expect the earliest availability to be July or August."

Pre-order, to me said, "none ready to sell".

Now, I think this is a good thing. Kimber doesn't want to shove a product out the door and have it bounce back.
    It seems they are committed to make the product better, and I hope they do, it's a great looking firearm.

According to this Kimber engineer it should require minimal or no break-in period. He says just 2-4 magazines of 124+ gr ammunition should be sufficient. Other youtubers are shooting it with no issues right out of the box with no break in or lubing. Perhaps your issues are entirely due to your assembly error?

YouTube - Kimber Solo Carry Engineer Interview
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    According to this Kimber engineer it should require minimal or no break-in period. He says just 2-4 magazines of 124+ gr ammunition should be sufficient. Other youtubers are shooting it with no issues right out of the box with no break in or lubing. Perhaps your issues are entirely due to your assembly error?
    you must not have read all my posts....i figured out that the slide stop wasnt installed correctly after the first range trip. i took it to the range two more times after that. the only issue caused by the slide stop being install with out catching the hold down spring, is that the slide would lock back after every round. it still wouldnt affect the extraction/ejection of the last round fired.

so no the ejection problem is not due to assembly error.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Sure, go to the Kimber web site, I did.

Solo Carry 9mm

Here's what you see:
    Solo Carry 9mm
    (Click to Enlarge) Picture did not copy/paste.
    Quantity:
    Price: $725.00

"This product has sold out.
    Solo Carry 9mm

Update 3-1-2011 We have closed pre-orders. If you want to be notified about availability, feel free to email john@osagecountyguns.com. At this point, we expect the earliest availability to be July or August."

Pre-order, to me said, "none ready to sell".

Now, I think this is a good thing. Kimber doesn't want to shove a product out the door and have it bounce back.
    It seems they are committed to make the product better, and I hope they do, it's a great looking firearm.
    first off that is NOT kimbers website, that is a stand alone gun shop out of missouri. kimber1911pistols.com IS NOT kimberamerica.com if you look at any other guns they also "say out of stock." Just because they, a standalone shop, say it will be July or August before they are available doesnt mean kimber had stopped production. if you call any master dealer of kimber they will probably also tell you that they don't know when they will come in. I am sure kimber is making and shipping these as fast as they can manage. The Solo, and LC9 are both going to be really hard to get or even find in a gun shop until the inital rush is over. i havent talked to a shop owner yet that has had a solo in the case for more than a few hours before is was sold and most shops have waiting lists so they dont even make it to the display case.

Just to dispell a statement that has been made.

I just got off the phone with Kimber...they called me in reference to the letter I wrote them about my Solo.
    I asked....true or false? Has Kimber ceased production on the Kimber. CS said, absolutely, false. We are running about 5 weeks behind on getting the guns to dealers, but they are going out.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    Yeah, to read about it in the gun press, you would think this thing is the best---but but when you get yours to the range, thats when reality rears its ugly head---I am sticking with my two CW9s and my Walther PPS 9mm.
    Never trust a magazine that gets paid for gun advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Never buy a new model gun from ANY maker the first year it comes out.

Ask me how I know...
    Great advice!

Nismo542 - you might want to check the locking lugs on your Solo for peening. From your pictures, it looks like the lugs on your slide have developed a built-up edge. If you check the mating lugs on the barrel, you might see peening and metal movement also. I had the same problem with my Solo and it's been back at Kimber for several weeks now. Your wear pattern looks very similar to mine. Couple folks in other forums having identical problems.

Tried a rental at the local range this weekend. FTE one or two rounds almost every mag. I gave up after 50 rounds... I am not sure if they just don't take care of it, if it was a pre-production demo, or what the issue was.

Not sure what everyone's standard is, but I think it is unacceptable for any defensive gun to need a break in period, special treatment or special ammo to work properly. Why? Because it's not 1908. This is the year 2011.

Here is an example: my new Sig P239 has worked flawlessly since it came out of the box. That was a few thousand rounds ago, and I haven't cleaned it yet (I want to see how far it will go). And I have had similar experiences with my HK's, Glocks and Berettas.

My opinion of Kimber has dropped. I was planning on a Kimber Custom 1911 as well, but now I am reconsidering that decision too.
    Last edited by m287452; April 30th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

i got my solo back thursday.

they had it two weeks total. i sent it in for failure to extract/eject and also mag catch issues as i stated. i called them on monday early afternoon just to check on it and they said that they were still waiting on the new mag release parts which they didn't know when would be in. About 3 hours later I received a call from them saying that my gun was repaired and had been shipped out and would arrive today. she said they replaced the slide stop screw and spring, and also replaced the firing pin return spring. the new slide stop spring is about twice the thickness of the original spring which is good because the original looked flimsy abd if the spring broke over time the the slide would lock back after every round. i am not sure what the firing pin return spring is or does. They also didnt replace the mag catch either. they said upon testing mine that it was okay. this is fine because i wasnt having too much of an issue with that like others have.

they said they fired 7 mag after the repairs 5 of federal american eagle 124gr fmj and 2 mags of hornady xtp 147 jhp all without any failures. the gun had definitely been fired as it was super dirty and seemed to be saturated with oil.

i am gonna take it to the range tomorrow to see how the repair turned out.

Just got back from the range....i am now pissed.

I took with me:

RWS 124gr FMJ
    Winchester 124gr NATO FMJ
    Hornady 147gr JHP
    Winchester 115gr FMJ
    Federal 115gr FMJ
    Remmington 115gr FMJ

I inspected the gun after receiving it back from kimber. I ensured it was nice and lubed. Here is the order of the range visit.

I fired 3 full mags of RWS and Winchester 124gr with now issues. It all went down hill from there.

I tried the Federal 115gr which i had pretty good luck with but after the first mag of it it started to not extract the rounds. Ii isn't that the rounds didnt eject, it is that the round didnt fully extract. The tip of the case was still in the chamber. The extractor seems to still be slipping off the case before it brings it far enough to eject. I then broke the gun down, cleaned and relubed the slide, slide stop and cleaned/lubed the barrel, chamber, and lubed the barrel hood. I though there might just be carbon buildup in the chamber casuing the round to stick a little and causing the issue.

I went back to the beginning and started with the RWS 124gr. and had multiple fte. I then swapped to the Winchester 12gr. Nato having the same issues. I then swapped to the Hornady 147gr. and after the first two rounds also failed to eject I just packed everything up and left. No need to waste anymore ammo.

Here are some pics of the failures. Needless to say, I will be calling Kimber tomorrow.

Wincherster NATO

Hornady XTP

RWS

RWS

Winchester

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links