Kimber Solo Carry Review - Page 4

Kimber Solo Carry Review

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man, that sucks. My last LCP took two trips back to Ruger to get running right. The second trip back, I asked them to test ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry Review

Man, that sucks. My last LCP took two trips back to Ruger to get running right. The second trip back, I asked them to test fire it with 100 rounds on their dime instead of their usual 24 - and they did. For the money they want for their guns, Kimber better do the same for you - or better. Hope it works out for you - hang in there.

And for the benefit of anyone else thinking of getting a new gun model the first year it comes out - don't.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sorry to hear. To be fair, Kimber does say 115 gr ammo won't work in the Solo. But you had a bad experience with heavier weights too. Sucks. Hope you can get your money back.

MAlfunctions can really screw up a range day.

i knew that 115 doesnt work but there are people that have solos that run 100% on the 92 gr stuff. i am not that disappointed at the 115 not running, but i didnt really shoot much of it because it didnt run the first time around. I was just testing. I am most concerned about the hornady xtp 147 which is what i carry in my glock 26. It should run that like a champ. at this point i dont want a refund, i just want it to work correctly. everything else about it is perfect.

what i really dont understand is why kimber didnt do anything to the gun for the problems i sent it for. the didt even replace the extractor. they say they are waiting on mag release parts but then tell me that mine works fine and send it back to me still not extracting/ejecting and the mag is still sticking some times and will not comeout until i drop the slide. i am gonna ask for a new gun if they will do that.

Is Kimber making you pay the shipping back to them?

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Is Kimber making you pay the shipping back to them?
    No they give you a Return Authorization number to put on the box and email you a shipping label. The send it 2nd day air. No charge for shipping. The customer service is great, but they just need to fix my solo.

I field stripped my solo today for cleaning prior to sending it back to kimber. I noticed that the ejector is loose! It moves vertically about 1/16" up and down when I wiggle it with my finger. I have asked them to replace the ejector, extractor, extractor spring, and recoil spring.

Has anyone noticed any play in their ejector?

Here are pics showing the movement of the ejector. It should be level with the top of the frame.

I got my Solo back from CS and fired about 25 rds with no problems. They fixed the rubbing on inside of frame also.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Does your ejector have any movement? You may want to try a few more, mine was ok until mag 7.

Not as you describe.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Cool Still On My List

I dunno guys. I still want one! Guess I'll roll the dice and hope for the best..
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    -- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942

Like I say.....it's my fav pocket carry for not....I like it....I love it...I want some more of it.

Ammo for the Solo

Has anyone ever noticed that the Golden Sabers are actually longer than most other ammo. I can not run a full clip through the solo with the Golden Sabers. With some of the other JHP or FMJ that are slightly shorter, I have zero issues.

Any thoughts on the ammo difference?

I can see that longer rounds could cause more issues in such a micro pistol. Mine had problems with all brands though.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster9mil View Post
    I dunno guys. I still want one! Guess I'll roll the dice and hope for the best..
    Well, like jyo said, I also own a Walther PPS. So just like him, I have no need at all for a Kimber Solo.

Now I'm sure that some folks will be attracted to the fact that the Solo has a manual safety, and also a DAO trigger pull. But those aren't features that particularly appeal to me.

The PPS is really not that much bigger compared to the Solo. I've got pretty good sized hands, and the Solo might be a little too small for me.

So I will stick with my Walther PPS:

After reading the reviews here, I think I will shy away from the solo. I just know my luck...lol.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links