Kimber Solo Carry Review

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have stayed away from Kimbers for many of years. I carried a Colt 1911 Combat Commander from 1970 until 1987 as a PDW When ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry Review

I have stayed away from Kimbers for many of years. I carried a Colt 1911 Combat Commander from 1970 until 1987 as a PDW When I switched to Glocks. I still kept the Colt 1911's because i shoot them so well. Back in the day When I was an active LEO I carried a Colt Model 1909 in .380 as a secondary BUG switching off and on with a 3 inch S&W model 36.

Whith the last 8 months I have started shooting the 1911 again. Kimbers in fact, I am carrying a Kimber Tactial Pro II more often then my Glock 23. I am still shooting the G35 in the IDPA type shoots. My Recreational/Range gun is a Kimber Gold Combat Stainless ll. No problems with either of these guns. Accuracy is outstanding on both these guns.

I have been giving some thought to the Solo as it reminds me of the Colt 1909 and how easy it was to carry. I always wished the Colt was in a 9mm instead of the .380 ACP

Over the years I have tried the Kahr Mk9, CW 40, Kel Tec P3at, Kel tec .32 Auto S&W 642, S&W model 60, 2 inch and 3 inch, and the Mini Glocks; still I remained unsatisfied. I have shot the other 9 mm Kel Tec's, Kahr's and numerous 3 in barreled .45 ACP's. They were all nice but still just short of what I was looking for.

Nothing wrong with the listed guns but still wasn't what I was looking for. Each of them had their own strong points but still left me wanting something. It was like eating a hamburger without a thick slice of onion, good but could have been better.

Ii have read review after review concerning the Kimber Solo, good and bad. But until I get my hands on one and shoot it. I will still be left wondering. The 9mm has mostly been my choice of min caliber as a pocket/deep concealment SDW but I have strayed below that caliber once in awhile.

2. Remove Ads

HP
    I read a lot of reviews before I purchased the Solo for my wife. Some good, some bad. When I saw it at the local FFL, I handled it and loved everything about it. The size, feel, trigger pull, sights(wish they were night sights) all was really nice. All it had to do was go BANG when you pull the trigger. It has done everything but that after my first trip to the range. It's a roll of the dice whether you get a great gun, or a lemon. Even positive reviews are ending in a trip back to kimber for unusual wear issues. This all feels like a company that rushed a release without thorough testing and if my solo doesn't get fixed, Kimber is going to lose a customer.

**Update**

Just spoke with Kimber customer service. He said that I need to send the solo back. Shipping is already paid for which is nice, but I'd much rather not have to send it back in the first place. According to him, the turn-around is 7-10 business days. They will "go over the whole gun" and fire "30 rounds" through it before sending it back. And so it begins........

Kimber CS called today and told me mine would be at my house...9/6/2011

They told me is was reworked and test fired and is up to specs. We shall see. I will go to the range when it arrives and put at least 100 rds through it. One FTE or FTF back to Kimber. You would think they would get tired of paying shipping.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Here is the update on my Kimber Solo that I got back from Kimber after the 2nd time. The last time they replaced the barrel.

Took her to the range fired 60 rds of Golden Saber 124 gr.

Fired about 2 mags of double taps, 2 mags rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger. 2 mags of triple taps, the remainder slow fire.

GOOD NEWS

Not a single anything except bang, bang and more bang. I love this gun! The feel in your hand is so natural and the trigger is super nice...as compared to my Rohrbaugh....I like the SA trigger on the Solo better.

Two things for certain...this gun will not fire ball ammo nor 115gr. It is only a 124gr or a 147gr gun.
    I will run some more ammon through it...right now....I am a Happy Camper:D
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Great news !!! God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Here is the update on my Kimber Solo that I got back from Kimber after the 2nd time. The last time they replaced the barrel.

Took her to the range fired 60 rds of Golden Saber 124 gr.

Fired about 2 mags of double taps, 2 mags rapid fire as fast as I could pull the trigger. 2 mags of triple taps, the remainder slow fire.

GOOD NEWS

Not a single anything except bang, bang and more bang. I love this gun! The feel in your hand is so natural and the trigger is super nice...as compared to my Rohrbaugh....I like the SA trigger on the Solo better.

Two things for certain...this gun will not fire ball ammo nor 115gr. It is only a 124gr or a 147gr gun.
    I will run some more ammon through it...right now....I am a Happy Camper:D

400 rounds through my Solo, after sending it back for a broken spring, a no problems.

Love it. Easy to conceal, feels good in my hand, shoots great.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Flawless out of the box

My fave store said their prior Solos were terrible and sent all back. New shipment in today was supposed to be fixed version and I bought one. Flawless 125 rounds and very accurate. Grips a little slippery but overall very pleased.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    welcome
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Kimber Solo

I bought a Kimber Solo and I do love the gun, but it's nasty.
    It requires at least a 124 grain round and the recoil bangs your knuckle against the trigger guard.
    Also, be careful with the slide. It will bite cha! I use a glove when I shoot it.
    For protection - who cares about your knuckles, but for practice on the range - may not be pleasant.
    Oh, one more thing - especially for the ladies - try pulling the slide back. Good luck!

A little more color regarding my Solo. Put another 120 rounds thru it (lawman 124 and also hornady hollow point 124) and cannot be more pleased.

In my hands (midsize) it feels great. A police officer friend also loved the feel of the gun. (has not shot it yet).

Accuracy has been better than I expected. Meaning it's easy enough to handle that u feel (and do) shoot it accurately. At close range I feel I could put this on target even w a 'snapshot' because it seems to naturally point very well (remember this is a brand new gun to me)

The trigger is one of the best I have encountered. Very smooth and just enough travel. Surprised me it was so good. Feels like a pro job was done but it's straight from the factory.

Take down tool a bit to get used to only because u have to manually hold the slide but after a bit of practice it's a no brainer.

Summary: A very very nice concealed weapon.

Thumbs up new solo cdp

have been waiting on order placed last april, 2011. got call, picked up gun and went into range. shot 50
    rounds of remington golden saber 124(?) gr. off of the expanded list of recommended ammo.

i am healing from rotator cuff surgery...it did seem to take a bit more than you might guess to pull the slide back.
    having said that, zero problems. nothing but smooth...and surprisingly accurate. cdp version has crimson grips but
    i did not want to sight them in right then. so i fired all fifty rounds with just the gun sights. everything in 6" circle.
    i'm sure that's not great shooting by many of your standards, but for my ability and first time shooting the gun with
    only the sights...i was very pleased.

i have smallish hands and did not have any issue with the slide.

i carried in one of the compression type shirt holsters...very comfortable.

i think kimber got right whatever their earlier issues may have been.

hi

Just registered here in the forum. Found it googling "Kimber Solo". I recently bought one myself. I bought it at Jackson Armory in Dallas Texas.

Went in just looking to put my hands on a couple of pistols to decide on a good carry gun. I had seen the Solo in a magazine recently but was really just looking for a 400$ range gun like the Ruger LCP, S&W bodyguard, etc. I'm relatively new to the pistol world, having grown up around rifles and shottys. I wasn't uncomfortable with a handgun, however I feel a lot more cautious. I would not be carrying everywhere, but would definitely carry on bike rides (rides with Cycling gear on, not regular clothes, so something small and flat was appealing. However the pocket guns just weren't feeling that great in my hands. I mentioned that the glock seemed a little big, and the others too small, and that's when the guy showed me the solo. I think the safety was what eventually sold it for me. I was not happy about the price, but I'm glad I bought it now. I've only been to the range with it once. Fired around 75. No FTE or anything. I did however notice that when there were 6 rounds in the clip, it did not chamber very easily, so for now, I'll only keep 5 in. I have two holsters but have not decided exactly how to carry yet. I'll be needing a carry option on the bike as well and am considering the belt bag option.

I will be getting my CHL in the coming weeks, I look forward to learning and reading on this forum. Thanks.

Chambering a round with a full mag can be a bit challenging. That is due to the very strong mag spring which is necessary. It will let up a bit but not much with use. If you want to carry one in the pipe with a full mag it's best to load one in the mag chamber it then load the mag. For cycleing the belt pouch is a good option. That is what I use.

I don't know guys. One thing I do know is Sig P290 Kimber Solo,,they are both new to the pocket gun game and you know they normally produce quality. The Kahr CM is the PM minus some factors that have nothing to do with accuracy and everything to do with price at about $419-470...I have shot them and they shoot really well..I also put one in my front pocket today and the thing is like a .380 Look at one of those and see what you think.. take the extra money you save and get a extra magazine and a couple hundred rounds of target 9mm...imho
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Just got my Kimber Solo CDP and so far all is well. I have shot the recommended ammo and so far no issues. A fully loaded magazine is a little temperamental when loading, so I just make sure the slide is locked back before chambering.

My Solo and brethren:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links