Kimber Solo Carry Review

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a Solo at the local store. I have been eyeing this gun for a while and patiently waited for its arrival for ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry Review

Kimber Solo Carry Review

Just picked up a Solo at the local store. I have been eyeing this gun for a while and patiently waited for its arrival for retail sale.

I have been carrying a g26 (100% from day one) which i love but i wanted another option for times when smaller would be more concealable. i also own a kimber cdp2 custom with 100% reliability from day one.

i got the solo home and cleaned and lubed it up for the first range trip. it is important to get the solo back together correctly as you will read.

at the range i put 50 124 grain fmj though it with quite a few issues. first couple mags had many ftf and fte malfunctions. getting near the end of the 50 rnd box i finally was able to get about 4 mags in a row without malfunctions.

i then proceeded to put 50 to 75 115 grain fmj through it with similar malfunctions.

as i neared the end of my supply of rounds i noticed that i had put the gun back together incorrectly. there is a spring that goes on the slide stop that keeps the gun from locking back after every shot, which it was doing regularly. as you install the slide stop, 1911 style, you have to make sure that the spring is engaged on the slide stop.

with only a few rounds of 115 grain left i didnt really get a chance to see how big of a difference it would make with the stop installed correctly.

when i got home i cleaned the gun, lubed and put it back together correctly this time). i loaded the mag and cycled it with my hand as fast as possible to check on the feed eject issues and it seemed to be doing okay. i did notice a binding issue with the slide and the follower a couple of times as it would jam between full locked and where the slide stop would engage. i dont see this as a big issue because i was only manually cycling the slide.

i called kimber today and talked to them about the issues i was having, besides the lockback issue i caused. they said that this gun was designed to function on 124 grain minimum. 115 didnt have enough recail to cycle the slide fast enough. i asked the tech about the magazine, it is extremely hard to load the last round, almost impossible at this point. he said that due to the small tolerences and fast cycle of the slide, that mag had to have a strong spring as well as the recoil spring had to be very strong. i ordered 2 more mags from him and he suggested that i put more 124 grain through it and update them if i had any more issues. i have to say their customer support is great so far.

so far i love the gun, it had a nice kick to it due to the size and the heavyer load. i will put a few more rounds through it to complete the breaking and will give updates.

i will not bash this gun yet as some have because if you look at high end 1911s it can take a couple thousand rounds before they are 100%.

when this thing start cycling correctly it will be an awesome carry piece. it is fine for pocket carry, but would also almost disapear totally in an iwb.

hope this can shed a little light on this new kimber offering.

2. Remove Ads

Good post. Let us know how you make out next time. Oh, and welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the Kimber.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome! Keep us posted
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Reliability out of box isn't realistic for some guns - I think the Kahr is one maybe the Kimber Solo is another. Figure out what you did wrong with reassembly, get about 500 rounds through it, and you'll know what the gun will be like. My Kahr P40 was a piece of crap for the first 300 rounds but it's as reliable as my Glocks now that I have it broke in. Some people lose patience with a gun early on and they sell it, when maybe if they gave it some time and took it through it's paces they'll have a real gem.
    Bark'n likes this.

i agree but it kinda sucks that with the ammo prices these days it could cost a 1/3 of the gun price to get it going. i saw a youtube vid from american handgunner magazine where they shot 100+ rounds back to back with no issues. i have faith it will be great, and i know i have taken a chance on such a new design from kimber.

Good review. It looks like a promising piece...hope it smooths out soon. Keep us posted.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. I'm curious to see a Solo in my LGS

Thanks for the overview on the solo, hope your issues melt away with some range time, I'll have some feed back in 6-7 weeks if all goes well. Welcome to DC

Never had one problem with mine...after about 100 rds. I did send it back to Kimber to check the finish rubbing on inside of dust cover. I may be too picky, but it's on their dime so I wanted it checked.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Does the manual specify 124gr (or heavier) bullets?

The manual says....124gr or 147gr.

They give examples:

Federal Hyda-Shok JHP
    Remington Golden Saber JHP
    Hornady TAP JHP
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Took the new Solo out for it's first outing today. Dismal failure. No more than two rounds each mag before the mag ejected. Tried everything short of voiding the warranty. Tried 5 mags full (well, not full, as it was impossible to get a 6th round in the mag). That's fine, but label it a 5 round mag. Call it a 5+1 gun.

Shot fine for the two rounds it would shoot, but it would've been nice if the mag would stay in. That kinda makes it a 2+1 gun. Not good. Can't wait to talk to Kimber next week. Used 147 gr. federal. Actually considering all the other reviews I've read, it's nice to have none of those failures. Still...

I did a review on this gun after running 100 rounds through it, as a rental. Kimber Solo Carry Review | Handgun World Show

I wasn't real impressed. I already own a PM9 and I was comparing this pistol to my PM9. I found absolutely no reason to switch.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Boy,this thing sure seems to be starting off on the wrong foot based on the reviews I have read. A couple have been good, the rest have been much like this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links