Chamfering Cylinders

This is a discussion on Chamfering Cylinders within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The carrying of revolvers for CCW seems to be popular. I have noticed a number of comments on reloading revolvers with speed loaders and problems ...

Thread: Chamfering Cylinders

Chamfering Cylinders

The carrying of revolvers for CCW seems to be popular. I have noticed a number of comments on reloading revolvers with speed loaders and problems with hangups on the cylinder lips.
    The cure usually results in a trip to the gunsmith and leaving the weapon until he can get to it. The other alternative has been expensive cutters. I think I have found a cure. The below linked cutter from Midway USA is inexpensive at thirty dollars and does a good job on the task. The more 38/357 revolvers you have to do, the greater the savings. About ten minutes work with due care and reloads slip in like goose crap through a tin horn and the modification is almost invisible. One tip I would give is to use light downward force on the first turn or two to prevent the cutter from gouging and sticking.

PTG Revolver Deburring Tool 1/2" - MidwayUSA
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Great idea.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Interesting. I've been carrying Lever Revolution rounds in my speed loaders as they seem to almost load themselves. I have a lever .357 abd had them anyway...gave them a try in my loaders and BAM.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have never had any problem with projectiles hanging up, if I come close to hitting the hole. The problem came from case edges hanging on the edge of the cylinder chambers. Some ammo has more of a rolled crimp and is little problem, others, there is a significant case lip exposed. Chamfering eliminates the need to be concerned with the type of ammo is being used.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Makes sense...I've never had any cases hang up either. Guess I've been lucky.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Sadly I need this for a gun Im trying to restore that I found used and abused in a pawn store, do not dry fire a .22 with a firing pin hammer.....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Sadly I need this for a gun Im trying to restore that I found used and abused in a pawn store, do not dry fire a .22 with a firing pin hammer.....
    Do not dry fire 22's period unless you use snap cap devices,even autoloaders will have the firing pin indent the chamber lip which causes misfires
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Do not dry fire 22's period unless you use snap cap devices,even autoloaders will have the firing pin indent the chamber lip which causes misfires
    True, just with the firing pin hammer you have to fix the hammer too. You would have thought the guy before me would realize once the firing pin started looking like a mushroom...
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Links