New Handgun Break-In Periods ???? - Page 2

New Handgun Break-In Periods ????

This is a discussion on New Handgun Break-In Periods ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the vast majority of the recommended break in procedures are recommended for the shooters, not as much for those that have a great ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New Handgun Break-In Periods ????

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I think the vast majority of the recommended break in procedures are recommended for the shooters, not as much for those that have a great deal of experience with firearms, but for those fairly new to the experience. Obviously, the last couple of deacdes have seen a huge increase in the number of firearms designed down to the very cutting edge limits of size-weight/reliability from a physics standpoint. The lighter the materials used, the more demanding the tolerances in design...thus more attention to proper technique in grip, hold from the standpoint of the shooter. Sure, there are going to be lemons from every manufacturer of man made products occassionally, but with the lightweight handguns it seems more to me to be an issue with the shooter and particular handgun melding together.

Maybe the manufacturers need to use 13 year old French foreign exchange students with five minutes of "training" to test fire their new models.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I wouldn't trust any gun out of the box. Revolvers aren't immune to reliability problems.
    I couldn’t agree with you more. However, in my 40+ years with handguns I have never experienced a failure with a factory-configured revolver. Conversely, I can’t say the same for my auto-loaders. Love them both; and the only reason I'm carrying a revolver today is that my reflexes are not what they use to be.
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

I've actually had a lot more reliability issues w/ revolvers than semis.

MOST of the problems were determined to be ammo related. High primers (cylinder won't turn), dirty ammo (crud got under the star causing it to bind the loaded rounds against the recoil shield), bullets "jumping the crimp" (the cylinder won't turn), and ejected brass getting caught under the star. This was with issued academy "practice" ammo. Once we complained to our Department Range Master, we were issued ammo from our department and the failures never returned.

Then of course there were two revolvers that never had the rear sight notch machined into the frame (hard to get a sight picture). These were issued stock revolvers straight from the factory.

Lessons learned? Use the best quality ammo you can afford, keep your gun CLEAN, and train hard.
    Courage is endurance for one moment moreÖ

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    A mag or two ain't enough of defensive ammo. Your gun may shoot hundreds of FMJ fine, but might burp on a hollow point at the worst possible time. I shoot at least 150-200 of a particular brand of carry ammo with zero malfunctions before I'm sure.
    That'd be great, but I already have enough trouble finding a box or two of a load I'll actually carry. My carry gun has always been a M&P or a Glock in 9mm, neither of which is known for having feed issues.

I'm comfortable with my vetting process.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
    IIRC, Les Baer recommends a 500 round break-in period for his 1911's. Does that make him a low quality manufacturer?
    Baer does not have a 500 round break-in period, in the 4 I've owned, NOWHERE in the manual does it state that you should put 500 rounds through the pistol if it doesn't work right, (what he does "recommend" and it is not in the manual so it's not a "have to"), is not CLEANING the pistol for the first 500 rounds to help smooth the pistol, a final lapping if you will. I have never read/heard or known anyone that was told not to send the pistol back for repair until they put a case of ammo through their Baer.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Those guns are not old school. Polymers and stainless steel? Say it ain't so!
    I guess it would depend on how old you are.
    Glock is a "johnny come lately" (if you can call 12 years johnny come lately ) to the polymer scene, and Winchester offered stainless steel barrels as far back as the mid-1920s.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Two handguns that I absolutely would trust with my life "right out of the box" would be both any revolver and any semi-automatic pistol built by KORTH firearms.

Most folks have never heard of them.
    Here is the link to KORTHUSA

So it really IS possible to buy a handgun that you can absolutely 100% completely & totally bet your precious life on & without ever having fired a single shot from it beforehand but, that "ultimate out-of-the-box reliability" comes at quite a steep price.

Even if a manufacture guaranteed a gun out of the box to be 100 percent reliable I would STILL put at least 200 rounds through it before I trusted my life on the function.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Even if a manufacture guaranteed a gun out of the box to be 100 percent reliable I would STILL put at least 200 rounds through it before I trusted my life on the function.
    Exactly, but a function test is different than a "break-in" period. I test to see if my ammo of choice works well in my gun of choice, but I don't want some manufacturer telling me I have to put a case of ammo through their gun to get it to work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    ...we don't live in a perfect world. Even Glocks aren't always 100% out of the box.
    Or cars. Or - dare I say it - airplanes.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    Kimber and Kahr are the reason that many people own Glocks.
    Kahr's may be getting better. I have a new PM 9 that I field stripped and cleaned before firing and it has been 100% reliable for the first 200 rounds when I was expecting it to be a jamomatic from what I have been reading about them.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Baer does not have a 500 round break-in period, in the 4 I've owned, NOWHERE in the manual does it state that you should put 500 rounds through the pistol if it doesn't work right, (what he does "recommend" and it is not in the manual so it's not a "have to"), is not CLEANING the pistol for the first 500 rounds to help smooth the pistol, a final lapping if you will. I have never read/heard or known anyone that was told not to send the pistol back for repair until they put a case of ammo through their Baer.
    I think your argument is semantic. If a manufacturer has a recommended procedure, whether written or not, for the initial firing of the weapon, I would call it a break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Exactly, but a function test is different than a "break-in" period. I test to see if my ammo of choice works well in my gun of choice, but I don't what some manufacturer telling me I have to put a case of ammo through their gun to get it to work correctly.
    They probably do it for the same reason that companies have to print on their cups that the coffee you are holding is hot.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

OD*
    It is not a semantic argument to me, Baer doesn't have anything in their manual about a "break-in" period, he does not tell you to keep shooting the gun until you have run a case of ammo through it before you return it to him for repair, because it doesn't work as it should out of the box.

FWIW, out of the Kimber manual:

"Before firing the pistol for the first time, Field Strip
    and clean the firearm following proper procedures.
    (see DISASSEMBLY, CLEANING and LUBRICATION
    and ASSEMBLY Instructions in this Manual)
    Kimbers firearms are quality custom pieces. Our
    firearms are hand fitted to tight tolerances. For
    proper Break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500
    rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ)
    Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every
    100-150 rounds."

That I would call, a break-in.
    JOHNSMITH and JD like this.

Which one are you talking about? Reliability or break-in? One may be related to the other, but not all guns need to be broken in to be reliable. Of course, you can't really make a judgment about reliability until after it is broken in, due to simply the kinds of round counts you'd need to make such a judgement.

All new guns have a break-in period; but some are reliable right out of the box (or should be).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links