New Handgun Break-In Periods ???? - Page 3

New Handgun Break-In Periods ????

This is a discussion on New Handgun Break-In Periods ???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* It is not a semantic argument to me, Baer doesn't have anything in their manual about a "break-in" period, he does ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New Handgun Break-In Periods ????

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It is not a semantic argument to me, Baer doesn't have anything in their manual about a "break-in" period, he does not tell you to keep shooting the gun until you have run a case of ammo through it before you return it to him for repair, because it doesn't work as it should out of the box.

FWIW, out of the Kimber manual:

"Before firing the pistol for the first time, Field Strip
    and clean the firearm following proper procedures.
    (see DISASSEMBLY, CLEANING and LUBRICATION
    and ASSEMBLY Instructions in this Manual)
    Kimbers firearms are quality custom pieces. Our
    firearms are hand fitted to tight tolerances. For
    proper Break-in of the firearm shoot 400-500
    rounds of Quality Factory Ball (230g. FMJ)
    Ammunition, cleaning and lubricating the gun every
    100-150 rounds."

That I would call, a break-in.
    Regarding Kimber, I couldn't agree more. I would consider them an exception, not the rule.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
    Regarding Kimber, I couldn't agree more. I would consider them an exception, not the rule.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    All new guns have a break-in period; but some are reliable right out of the box (or should be).
    As you're no doubt aware, the "break-in" topic comes up fairly regularly on the "1911 discussion boards", we were having one on the M1911.ORG board and this same basic thought was brought up. One of the guys calls Colt and asked them about their "break-in" regiment, the guy just kinda chuckled and said if the pistol didn't work right the first time it was shot, send it back, because they have no "break-in" period.

I kinda got a kick out of that.
    JOHNSMITH and JD like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Do we KNOW which firearms are always test fired at the factory before shipping? In the "olden days" I know that both S&W and Colt did so; and that was considered an important job reserved for very experienced employees (who probably ended up with hearing problems). The most recent S&W 442 I recently purchased did not have a fired target in the box.

One German Walther PPK I bought new many years ago had the fired target in the factory box.

A Remington 40X target rifle also came with a fired target, to show the grouping capability (reliability wasn't the issue).

JERRY

OD*
    I know Baer still does, even though this article is from 2003, he still test fires every pistol as far as I know (according to his largest distributor).
    The demand is much too heavy for Les Baer himself to build guns anymore, but he personally test-fires each and every one -- sometimes as much as 100 rounds.
    A visit to Les Baer Custom

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    I know Baer still does, even though this article is from 2003, he still test fires every pistol as far as I know (according to his largest distributor).A visit to Les Baer Custom
    Thats not a job, thats fun while getting paid!!
    OD* likes this.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

OD*
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    A mag or two ain't enough of defensive ammo. Your gun may shoot hundreds of FMJ fine, but might burp on a hollow point at the worst possible time. I shoot at least 150-200 of a particular brand of carry ammo with zero malfunctions before I'm sure.
    Sorry but most of us cant afford that

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I agree with the OP; the gun should function when new. Sure, it's perfomance may improve with use (trigger and controls smoother, etc.), but it should function correctly. I'd give any new firearm one box of ammo to clear its throat, so to speak. Then it if didn't function right, it's going to get fixed or replaced.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I agree with the OP; the gun should function when new. Sure, it's perfomance may improve with use (trigger and controls smoother, etc.), but it should function correctly. I'd give any new firearm one box of ammo to clear its throat, so to speak. Then it if didn't function right, it's going to get fixed or replaced.
    +1

Very well-written. I agree with you.

My HKs, Beretta 92FSs, Sigs, Walthers, BHP's and Colts have all run very well "out of the box."

Anything else is just not acceptable IMO.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

All of my carry gun's are NIB, as I do not buy any used guns, that I will use for CC & SD at all, first I field strip any new gun & clean & relube them & then fire any where from 200-300 rds through them to break them in according to MFG. suggestion, & this always work's great with any new gun , that I own.

All of my SIG's and Ruger's have preformed well right out of the box (most of the time with out even cleaning them).
    Now has the trigger improved over time? Yes, but they worked as they where built to do.
    Yes, anything made by man can fail..... But I have been happy with what I own.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I have never bought but one gun that did not perform right out of the box and it was a Taurus revolver......surprise, surprise, surprise.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Glide View Post
    Kimber and Kahr are the reason that many people own Glocks.
    Not entirely true... Actually, The Glocks prompted the Kimber and Kahr purchases; was looking for a thinner carry option. Found it in both.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Ė Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Ė Thomas Jefferson

I agree with you and that's why I often think of going back to a revolver for its dependability.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links