Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry - Page 3

Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Old School Thought you were looking for a lively discussion to incude all of the content of your post. Sorry I am ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Thought you were looking for a lively discussion to incude all of the content of your post. Sorry I am one that did not understand what your post was about. Good luck on your future endeveors.
    I surely am. But telling me to pull the trigger faster and practice isn't lively discussion. The fact is that in certain guns a 9mm will recoil less and allow you to get back on target faster for follow ups. My polymer, lightweight gun in 40 cal has significant recoil and the trigger design is such that super fast follow ups is difficult to achieve. The thought was that a lighter load (9mm) and a better designed gun could allow for faster shooting (accurately anyways) than what I currently have. And yes, I know practice will help. The idea about the 9mm vs. .40cal wasn't even mine, it was what they talked about on Defense TV. I was looking for more discussion on that issue, not my personal ability.

9mm Concealed Carry

I currently carry a Kahr CW9 as my off duty, concealed weapon. I love everything about it. I carry mine with a Crimson Trace laser and Kahr A-grip in a Blackhawk pad holster near my lower right back. It is near invisible and comfortable as hell. The firearm is a dead on shot, very light weight, easily controlable, easily mastered and best of all, I have put over 2500 rounds through the pipe and not a single FTF. I would reccomend a 9mm as a CCW to anyone. The size difference between a 9mm and a .40 cal is not enough to scream over. When your bullets are placed appropriately, caliber size after .380 is a non-issue.

Yes, it is likely that with a lighter caliber, with a better trigger and possibly a heavier gun, that you will be able to shoot faster and more accurate.

I think that there may have been some confusion as to practicing. If you look at a statement in your OP

Quote Originally Posted by smolck
    However on my last range trip I was trying to shoot multiple rounds in rapid succession and with the trigger pull and reset, it is near impossible to shoot as fast as I would like.
    This, would lead one to believe that you are new to rapid shooting, at least with this weapon, and do not have significant pratice at it. That in turn would lead to suggestions of more practice at rapid shooting.
    oneshot and Old School like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Ask a question like this of many and you will get that many answers. As to what gun or caliber to carry, only you can answer that question. All I can give you is what I chose to carry and why.

I carry XDs in 9mm either subcompacts (13 +1) or service with a subcompact with extended mag (18 + 1). Yes I carry 2, mirror AIWB! Why I chose the the 9, cheaper ammo therefore I will practice more and can carry more ammo in gun of equal size. When in a gunfight one will never know how many rounds will be needed, but the best and fastest reload is to never need to reload. And yes speed of trigger and accuracy will come and get better with practice, cheaper ammo equals more practice. With the choice of defensive ammo now days you will get about the same stopping power from all calibers, if you really want stopping power carry a rifle. But every round that you hit the BG with will have effect and I can send more rounds down ranger faster and more accurate follow-up shots with 9mm. I will also say the most important shot is the first one, GET the first hit and make it a good one.

Also look at my sig line. This I believe

Just my thoughts!
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Yes, it is likely that with a lighter caliber, with a better trigger and possibly a heavier gun, that you will be able to shoot faster and more accurate.

I think that there may have been some confusion as to practicing. If you look at a statement in your OP

This, would lead one to believe that you are new to rapid shooting, at least with this weapon, and do not have significant pratice at it. That in turn would lead to suggestions of more practice at rapid shooting.
    I assure you, I know I need more range time. If bullets were cheaper, I'd be there more often.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post

Well when you put it like that...

Quote Originally Posted by papertiger33 View Post
    I currently carry a Kahr CW9 as my off duty, concealed weapon. I love everything about it. I carry mine with a Crimson Trace laser and Kahr A-grip in a Blackhawk pad holster near my lower right back. It is near invisible and comfortable as hell. The firearm is a dead on shot, very light weight, easily controlable, easily mastered and best of all, I have put over 2500 rounds through the pipe and not a single FTF. I would reccomend a 9mm as a CCW to anyone. The size difference between a 9mm and a .40 cal is not enough to scream over. When your bullets are placed appropriately, caliber size after .380 is a non-issue.
    I agree with papertiger33, I started out with 40 s&w, but switched to 9mm when I got my Kahr CW9. I am more accurate, can shoot faster, and now I have a
    SR9, same results. I am looking forward to my next purchase, a SR9C. So, I sold(Gave one to my son) my 40 S&W semi's, and now 9mm exclusively, never looked back. If I feel the need for more power, I get out one of my Ruger 357 revolvers.
    Go for the SR9C, good decision, and Ruger is top notch if you have problems.
    Roger

I personally stick with 9mm for carry. Either my Glock 26 or Kel Tec PF9. My .45acp(Glock 21) stays put at home for HD. The reason I choose 9mm is for the size of weapon I can carry and still have a formidable defense weapon should I ever need it. The Glock 26 gets the nod most days and the PF9 gets the clean up when I have to pocket carry.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Let me pass on some wise thought from an instructor I have had the privilege to train under:

* Accuracy takes precedence over speed. It's shot placement that wins gunfights.
    * You must shoot at YOUR speed.
    * Speed is derived from economy of motion, not moving faster.
    * Speed is a natural bi-product of practice. REMEMBER...SLOW IS SMOOTH, SMOOTH IS FAST.
    * You sights will dictate the speed of your shooting. If you don't see your sights don't press the trigger.
    * Learn what an acceptable sight picture is for a given shot.
    * Shoot one shot at a time. Each one is the most important.
    * When all else fails, align the sights, and press the trigger.
    * Be able to go from 0 to 60 and 60 to 0.

With those thoughts in mind, I personally have chosen to EDC a 9mm. It certainly seems I can prepare for anything that I could prepare for if carrying a 40 and can prepare much more often and cheaper. JMO
    oneshot and RockStrongo like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Hello,

My permit will be mine on Monday! I have been carrying a .40 S&W SD40 around my home and property to get used to it. I love the gun, very accurate (for me) out to 15yards and for a polymer gun the recoil isn't that bad. However on my last range trip I was trying to shoot multiple rounds in rapid succession and with the trigger pull and reset, it is near impossible to shoot as fast as I would like.

I saw on a TV show that a lot of guys carry 9mm for CC based on new bullet design being better giving the 9mm more punch and the fact that with a 9mm you can put more shots downrange faster.

For me the thought of changing is 2 fold. 1. Ammo is cheaper on the 9mm and I do a lot of practicing. and 2. I want to be able to pop off shots faster.

Now I know that I will likely never use my gun and if I do I doubt I will ever need machine gun like suppressing fire, so should I even bother? A well placed shot with my .40 and 180gr JHP's will likely stop anything I'll ever encounter.

So I am just looking for some lively discussion about the topic.

Thanks!

I carried my G23 .40 S&W for well over ten years, then I went to the 9mm for the last couple of years. I happened upon a .40 caliber Kahr PM40 a month or so ago. After a few trips to the range with what I thought was going to be a handful, I'm very please with both the pistol and the caliber. IMO, a 124gr 9mm Gold dot will just get better in a .40 S&W 155gr Gold Dot, so why go down in caliber just for one additional round. My PM40 has six .40 rounds and the PM9 has seven. That one round could surly come in handy in maybe that one in a thousand encounters, but I'm thinking more often than not the average civilian encounter wouldn't end up with a dry gun.

Truth is, either or will do the job easily with good accuracy and marksmanship. If you feel you can train more with the 9mm go for and enjoy the peace of mind. I find that I prefer the ballistics of the .40 over the nine. I have both and carry both from time to time.

A well placed shot with my .40 and 180gr JHP's will likely stop anything I'll ever encounter
    I completely agree with your thought.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    "A well placed shot with my .40 and 180gr JHP's will likely stop anything I'll ever encounter"

I see the key to that statement as "well placed shot". Any well placed shot from any caliber will likely stop the encounter, The little 22 has most likely killed more things than any round we have. But do you want to carry one for EDC?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

The 9mm is a good round with the newer loads and I, for one, like it a lot. Have had two Beretta 9mm--- PX4 Storm SC and the full size with 4" barrel. Had no problem carrying either one. Now I carry a Ruger SP101 327, often with 32 H&R magnum loads or my Bersa Thunder Plus 380 with a 15 rd. mag. A WW II vet I know says it's all in " placement, placement, placement"--- not how fast or how far you can shoot. Another tech I read said it's also how many shots go where you want them! So get what you want and practice, practice, practice.
    Philly Boy in Cincinnati.

Well I really appreciate all the responses. I really like my S&W. My favorite all time gun was a Beretta 92fs in 9mm. That gun was great to shoot, but poor for CC. My S&W .40 is easy to conceal for a full size pistol, the 14+1 capacity is nice too. I suppose I'll never recoup my money for the holsters so I guess for now the trade I had in mind will have to wait. But, a buddy has a Taurus 9mm that he might trade me for my S&W 442 Airweight so I may get that 9 anyway!

I have always loved and carried the 45acp, my favorite caliber. I recently bought a G19 to shoot and carry sometimes, due partly to the price of .45 ammo. I have shot it quite a bit and do not feel under gunned when carrying the 9mm, with todays loads it is a fine SD weapon,IMHO... The .45 will always be my favorite, but I have also come to like the 9mm.

Do you have a .22 auto? Not withstanding the idiosyncracies of your .40, a .22 is an ideal way to get a lot of inexpensive practice.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links