Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry - Page 4

Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mattwestm I own several handgun calibers, but .40SW isn't one of them. While the 40 isn't a bad cartridge, it really doesn't ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

Quote Originally Posted by mattwestm View Post
    I own several handgun calibers, but .40SW isn't one of them. While the 40 isn't a bad cartridge, it really doesn't do anything that 9mm or 45ACP can't do. Nowadays, a decent 124+P 9mm round is as good as any 40SW. In fact, the only reason I still keep 45ACP is for 1911s (plus a few others). I thought about getting into 40/10mm a while ago, but decided against it. Another nice thing about 9mm is there seems to be a lot more guns to choose from. I'd say go 9mm and don't look back.
    My sentiments exactly!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

OP the answer to your question is yes and no. Yes you can get to a better platform or a better caliber for fast follow ups. OR you could take the $500 you were going to spend on a new pistol and spend it all on ammo, and practice with it.

The end result would be the same. You would have faster, more accurate follow ups. But of the two which would have made you a better shooter?

The catch here is that it's not really all about the .40. A good portion of you trouble is because you didn't buy the right gun. The crummy SD trigger is as much to blame as the caliber.

As for me I recently went from the .40 to the 9mm for exactly the same reasons as you. I shoot the 9mm better. That is the route I chose but only you know if it's right for you.

I also suggest finding a shooting buddy who is waaay better than you. A good coach will help you train better, not just reinforce bad habits.
    glockman10mm and Bark'n like this.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

OP read this thread:

One shot stops. Important?
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

I never bought a .40 is just stuck with 9 and .45. Do whatever it takes to make you a better shot and get you on the range more often. I remember John Farnam saying a warrior should not have a favorite weapon just be able to use a weapon. That is not a direct quote but that was the spirit of the idea. Yes the weapon you chose has a crap trigger, but in my opinion so does the SIG P250 and I have a brother than can turn that thing into a tack driver. On the reverse side my dad runs a 1911 and I really don't like his finely tuned trigger, I think it is too light. I prefer my Glock because I know exactly in the trigger pull when it is going to fire. You have to master your weapon, you might want to consider trading it in for the same weapon in 9mm so you are not out the money for holsters.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndo View Post
    I never bought a .40 is just stuck with 9 and .45. Do whatever it takes to make you a better shot and get you on the range more often. I remember John Farnam saying a warrior should not have a favorite weapon just be able to use a weapon. That is not a direct quote but that was the spirit of the idea. Yes the weapon you chose has a crap trigger, but in my opinion so does the SIG P250 and I have a brother than can turn that thing into a tack driver. On the reverse side my dad runs a 1911 and I really don't like his finely tuned trigger, I think it is too light. I prefer my Glock because I know exactly in the trigger pull when it is going to fire. You have to master your weapon, you might want to consider trading it in for the same weapon in 9mm so you are not out the money for holsters.
    Good points. I was thinking of trying to trade it for the M&P in 9mm (since that is the gun my holster is "supposed" to be for). Then I can use my holster, have a lighter trigger, and 9mm for cheaper outings.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Good points. I was thinking of trying to trade it for the M&P in 9mm (since that is the gun my holster is "supposed" to be for). Then I can use my holster, have a lighter trigger, and 9mm for cheaper outings.
    The M&P is a fine pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I would have to agree that you are on the right track with this thinking. Just my thoughts on what gun is the best CC weapon. While I carry XD that is what my hosters now fit, but could get along with the Glock or M&P. There are other guns out there that are good guns I just like those 3 and have heard good reports on them.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Smolck - I went through the same mental struggles for several years, shifting back and forth between 9mm Glocks and the .40 caliber flavor. Then, I began to notice a trend in the news stories that circulate after a noteworthy shooting ... too many people surviving torso and head hits from 9mm rounds. So, after even more debate with my friends in the shooting community, I went back to .40 caliber and am now the proud owner of an older G27 Glock, and a Gen 4 Model 23 and Model 35. The G23 is my wife's primary Home Defense gun and the G35 is mine. Both are equipped with Streamlight TLR2 laser/tactical lights for home defense at night. I shoot all the guns in IDPA matches whenever I get a chance (usually once every month or two).

That being said, my advice is to stick with the .40 caliber and look into the Kahr models. I owned a Kahr PM9 during my 9mm days and found it to be well constructed and even though I had some issues with it, the Kahr warranty folks turned it around in 24 hours, so that was impressive.

I understand that 9mm is the cheapest factory ammo you can buy, but .40 caliber isn't that much more expensive at Walmart ($70 for 250 rounds of Remington UMC) for practice and for self defense, I have gotten great feedback on the 180 grain Federal HSTs and CCI Gold Dots in the same weight, which is what the .40 caliber was originally designed around. I know the ballistics charts demonstrate similar penetration and expansion from a 124 +P 9mm round but deep in my heart (and my gut instinct), I feel the heavier bullet with larger diameter will perform better nine times out of ten. If money were no object, I'd shoot a Glock in .45 caliber ... probably the G30SF because it's small enough to conceal but also has a nice tactical frame for attaching a light for HD.

Good luck in your decision making.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

The main reason I went with 9mm is the cost factor - much cheaper to shoot regularly with 9mm than with my "real" preference, .45.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Well I thought I'd update everyone (and I appreciate all your comments) and let you know for now, I will keep the .40 cal. The main reason is that apparently when you buy a brand new firearm, the second you leave the store it depreciates like a new car. My local store had my exact gun in 9mm and mine is less than a month off the shelf and they wanted to give me $100 under wholesale. No thanks! I'll just keep working with the .40 cal and when I get a surplus of cash pick up the sweet little XD9mm I got to grope.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    As I have posted here I like and carry XDs, but it looks like you will have some time before you do anything. So in that time I suggest you find a range that rents guns and shoot as many different ones as I can. If nothing else at least look at and fondle as many as you can find. Then you will know what you like and shoot well when you are ready to buy next time.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I'm planning to go from M&P 9c to M&P 40c. Similar reasons already given here, plus I test fired them side by side and the 40c doesn't have much more noticeable recoil. Another reason is that I don't want to have to constantly hunt for places that have "good" 9mm in stock. Although I feel the 9mm is okay, I feel the .40 is even better. Also, I won't be forced to buy new holsters (compared to a .45 ACP platform).

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Unless you're looking for a excuse keep what you've got and practice. Speed and accuracy come from practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Never assume a one shot stop. Go ahead and break that mindset. When we shoot things besides paper with our guns, we begin to notice that the bigger the bullet , the bigger the impact. Take a pond for instance, when shot with a 9mm vs 40 there is a noticeable for difference. So, there is a distinct difference that is visual.

However, we also know that even with the harder impact of a larger caliber, the difference in a live target is not always evident. I am a big heavy bullet proponent. But, I also am a fan of shot placement and the ability strike multiple blows rapidly.

I said all of that to say this; there is nothing wrong with a 9mm. I carry one daily on my own time. Its light weight and smaller bullet are more than made up for by the capacity, ease of shooting, concealable and light guns, and terminal ballistics of a hot rod loading, not to mention the affordability of shooting it. So, in conclusion, I would say the switch is a very good thing.
    9mm and .40 S&W are both acceptable defensive calibers but glockman10mm makes a seriously good point.

A personal friend of mine who is a Mo. State Trooper got into a fight with a hardened ex-con at the side of the road during a traffic stop several years ago. The ex-con jumped him and attempted to disarm him at the side of the road. Two contact distance, 180 grain 40 cal Federal Hydra-Shok rounds (one abdomen and one chest) from his G-22 failed to stop the assault and not until he shoved the gun under his chin and blew out his brain stem with the third round did the fight for his life end.

This happened about 12 or so years ago and if I remember correctly the autopsy concluded the round to the chest was likely a lethal round, however it failed to stop the attack of a determined attacker and it could have played out the exact same way with any number of calibers including 9mm, 38 spl, or even .45 acp.

The bottom line is that any round from a handgun is a crap shoot as to whether it will actually stop the fight with one round. While it may inflict a lethal wound, a determined attacker may be able to continue the fight and kill you. I can't remember if this scum bag was jacked up on drugs or not but Dan made the stop because he was passing cars on a two lane highway in a dangerous manner and passing on a solid and double yellow line. Also the ex-con was one of those who lifted a lot of weights in prison and was solidly built and strong.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    We all search for something quantitative that would allow us to compare different calibers and bullet weights. I have found that various ammo manufacturers publish tests of their ammo in standard ballistic gelatin for penetration and expansion. It seems logical to me that more penetration and larger expansion is a good thing, since the objective of shooting is to stop an attack by making a hole in the attacker. Bigger and deeper holes appear to do more damage for well placed shots.

Along those lines, you can see quite a bit of test data on the Federal Law Enforcement website, highlighting the Federal HST ammo:

Federal HST test data

Here is what it shows for 9mm, .40 and .45 caliber HST:

9mm 147 grain - 13.0 inches penetration, 0.724 inch expanded diameter.
    .40 cal. 180 grain - 14.25 inches penetration, 0.810 expanded diameter.
    .45 cal. 230 grain - 12.5 inches penetration, 1.013 inch expanded diameter.

All three of these look pretty good to me, and the .45 makes the largest hole, followed by the .40 and then the 9mm. I think any of them will do the job if you can shoot your gun accurately. As mentioned previously, the 9mm may allow you to get back on target slightly quicker because of lower recoil, and also give you a little more ammo capacity in a given size gun.

I personally use all three of these calibers for defense at various times, and my favorite guns are a Sig P239 (9mm), a Glock 23 (.40), and a Colt Defender (.45). I like these three because they conceal well, are reliable, and I can shoot them well.
    jus think of it this way, no matter what certain things better your odds with a bigger bullet. penetration is good, deeper wounds mean bloodier wounds wich leads to incapacitation due to blood loss faster if the gsw trauma doesnt do it. also physics dont lie, a .45cal bullet going 950fps penetrating 13in and expanding to 1" will just simply do more damage then a .38 cal bullet traveling at the same speed, penetrating the same depth but at only 3/4"
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    jus think of it this way, no matter what certain things better your odds with a bigger bullet. penetration is good, deeper wounds mean bloodier wounds wich leads to incapacitation due to blood loss faster if the gsw trauma doesnt do it. also physics dont lie, a .45cal bullet going 950fps penetrating 13in and expanding to 1" will just simply do more damage then a .38 cal bullet traveling at the same speed, penetrating the same depth but at only 3/4"
    Very true. I still carry a .40 & a 9mm but seriously thinking of going back to .45 acp for just that reason.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links