Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry - Page 5

Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Don't cop a attitude. Look at what you're saying. You want to shoot faster, you blame the gun. You want to ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Don't cop a attitude. Look at what you're saying. You want to shoot faster, you blame the gun. You want to shoot more accurately, you blame the gun. What's the common denominator?

Also, I'm far from a expert. Just get the 9mm that makes you happy, for now...
    Bubba is right...Its not the gun. You would hear the same thing if you took some training courses( Hint)
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with a 9mm. The thing I like best is that ammo is so cheap for 9mm's you can usually practice way more which is more important than the caliber itself!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Nothing wrong with 9mm because like many have posted in here with today's defensive ammo out there it doe's the job but I still in my humble opinion believe this is also true of the more effective calibers such as 45acp and 10mm and for a wheel gun with a four inch barrel so that you get full magnum benefit 357 magnum. The main advantage though with the 9mm's are two selling points and not so much in price of ammo because with ammo you are talking about a difference of one or four dollars from 9mm to 45acp.
    Selling points for 9mm: Capacity" most full size 9mm's are standard fifteen plus rounds. If you were a Off duty Police Officer and you walked into an active shooter situation regardless of how well I shoot on the range as both instructor and Range Master I like the idea of that feature.
    Convienance today they make many model's of this caliber almost as small or as small as some of your pocket .380 acp's available. Though it contradicts my first selling point because you have less capacity you have a more formidable round than the kurtz with the parabellum. And realistically you more than likely would be more apt to carry a smaller sub or pocket gun because we as humans are creatures of comfort versus common sense.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 9mm. The thing I like best is that ammo is so cheap for 9mm's you can usually practice way more which is more important than the caliber itself!
    No offense, but that is not totally accurate. A box of fifty round's of say 115 grain ball varies from 10.99 to nowadays 12.99 vs 11.99 with your 40sw. If what you say is true about price being more important the best thing to do would be to just shoot 22 long rifle to maintain your fundamentals and never shoot centerfire expensive ammo.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

but you are right about one thing freakin 40,45 and 380acp are freakin outrageous!!

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You are very helpful. I love it when the "experts" flex their internet muscle and take a shot at a newb. Thanks for the tip.
    It is not a shot at a newb. It is the truth. Good shooters can shoot any gun good. To shoot well all you need to do is pull the trigger without moving the rest of the gun. Once you master that with all kinds of triggers and guns you can shoot anything well. A few lessons from a professional can make a big difference in whether your practices improve you skills or reinforce bad habits. :)

VIP Member
    Smolck.

I have carried a 9mm, in one variant or another, for 6 1/2 years over here now and it has not let me down yet and I am restricted to ball ammo.

At one time I owned one of every version of .40 caliber Glock but eventually sold them off as they simply would not do anything a 9mm would not do. Right now I do not own a .40 caliber anything, nothing wrong with them just don't own one. When home I carry a variety of handguns but the main two are 9mm's, one a single stack and one a hi cap and I do not feel undergunned with either.

Ammo can be had a lot cheaper if you shop and then choose a quality imported round. I use 9mm Silver Bear, 115 grain and pay as little as $8.00 a box plus shipping. I still have Lory hit WalMart and pick up bulk packs, which are on sale right now, just to add to the stash.

Yes shot placement is king, yes you have to practice to get better, yes if the ammo is cheaper you will practice more, yes if you practice more your accuracy will improve and so on down the line in the end it is all in what you will shoot the best and practice with the most.

Nothing is going to give you a one shot stop 100% of the time. You do not shoot one round, assess, ask "Did that hurt enough to make you stop?", then dependent on the answer shoot again. Shoot and keep shooting until he stops doing whatever it is that caused you to shoot him in the first place. The caliber/type of bullet will take second place to where the bullet lands.

If you want a 9mm go for it and don't look back you won't be disappointed nor outgunned.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

dear smolck: i have come late to this thread, and i didn't read pages 3 and 4, so if i repeat what others have already said, my apologies.

will YOU feel comfortable with a 9mm gun loaded with good SD ammo? if not, better stay with .40.

if you want to find the gun that most closely does what you want, rent and/or borrow every different gun you can and shoot it.

why such a need for speed? are you tom cruise in top gun? certainly it can't hurt anything if you're faster, but what are the chances you will need to draw and fire your weapon at IPSC speed? yes, the difference between drawing and firing in one second vs. two seconds MIGHT save your life someday, but even if we assume that you WILL have a violent encounter some day, paying attention to your surroundings and being mentally ready for trouble will gain you far more than a second. and so what if your split times are .75 seconds apart instead of .5 seconds or .25 seconds. an earlier poster said something to the effect that he'd rather shoot 4 and hit twice (presumably with a 9), than shoot 3 and hit once (presumably with a .40). well, everything your misses end up hitting, you've bought and paid for. personally, i'd rather shoot as many as i need to stop my attacker(s), and as slowly as i have to, to hit EVERY time. do the phrases, "you can't miss fast enough to win," and "only hits count," mean anything to you? or how about, "the fastest draw is to already have the gun in your hand." i have read every "Armed Citizen" and "It Happened To Me" story i could find, and i have yet to find an instance where the ability to draw and fire like Rob Leatham made the difference between living and dying. yes, yes, it might happen to you. but why put SO much energy into such a low probability event?

carry your gun everywhere you can. keep it clean and maintained. load it with decent SD ammo that has proven 100% reliable in your gun. stay in condition yellow as much as you can. be able to draw and accurately fire your weapon with reasonable speed. be prepared for the after shooting questions and hassles. do these things and you will be as well prepared for any violent unpleasantness that comes your way as a person can reasonably be.

i see so many questions on this site asking about the "best" gun or the "best SD ammo", that i think i'm getting a bit impatient. imo there is no universal "best" gun, and if there is a "best" ammo, we don't know about it because we can't shoot real human beings of various sizes and levels of determination and chemical augmentation to tell for certain.

to paraphrase another DC poster: "a first class man with a third class weapon will beat a third class man with a first class weapon."

"amateurs talk hardware (guns, ammo, holsters, etc.); professionals talk software" (training, mental awareness). i'm definitely an amateur, but i try to learn from the professionals.

sorry, i know i'm blowing off steam (and some will say smoke), but i stand by what i've written.
    tacman605 and miller_man like this.

Lots of great advise in this thread, Keep the 40 and save up for the 9mm you want.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I carry a 38lcr and like it. But I , somewhat like you am considering a 9m/m semi auto. I like what I hear about CZ82 but don't think they make it anymore? I want a compact with alot of fire power. 16 rounds are better than 5 in a reliable semi auto.

Rich

Distinguished Member
    "amateurs talk hardware (guns, ammo, holsters, etc.); professionals talk software" (training, mental awareness). i'm definitely an amateur, but i try to learn from the professionals.

I really like that qoute, thats good.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I love the .45ACP cartridge. When I first got my CCW, I carried a 1911. About two years ago I picked up my G19 and it immediately became my EDC. Since then, I added an HK in .40 to the EDC rotation, but the G19 still sees lots of carry time. Paired with good SD ammunition, 9mm makes a lot of sense for concealed carry. I never feel undergunned when I carry mine.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

I to carry a 9mm most of the time. With modern ammo im comfy with it. And you hope you never have to use it. And the 9mm is a good cartridge nowadays. Heck I sometimes carry my 32 when a quick trip somewhere dictates me grabing something quick and thow im my poket.

My very first pistol was a .25acp phoenix arms I hated that gun and blamed my inability on it looking back I'm not so sure after that I got a super cheap norinco 9mm and that gun was a joy to shoot I still wasn't very good but I liked the gun my next one was a glock model 22 .40 and I absolutely hated it however this was when I went to the academy and it was the first pistol I could really shoot after I quit LE I bought a ruger sp101 in .357 magnum and now I can shoot better and faster with it.
    Simply put what you really want is to be able to shoot instinctually (fast and accurately without truly aiming) and there is no shortcut to that end.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I've gone all back and forth and settled on 9mm for all-around use. Might still do .45 ACP, and .38 Special and .357 Magnum for revolvers once I can find shell plates for my press.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links