Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

This is a discussion on Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, My permit will be mine on Monday! I have been carrying a .40 S&W SD40 around my home and property to get used to ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

Thinking of switching to 9mm for conceal carry

Hello,

My permit will be mine on Monday! I have been carrying a .40 S&W SD40 around my home and property to get used to it. I love the gun, very accurate (for me) out to 15yards and for a polymer gun the recoil isn't that bad. However on my last range trip I was trying to shoot multiple rounds in rapid succession and with the trigger pull and reset, it is near impossible to shoot as fast as I would like.

I saw on a TV show that a lot of guys carry 9mm for CC based on new bullet design being better giving the 9mm more punch and the fact that with a 9mm you can put more shots downrange faster.

For me the thought of changing is 2 fold. 1. Ammo is cheaper on the 9mm and I do a lot of practicing. and 2. I want to be able to pop off shots faster.

Now I know that I will likely never use my gun and if I do I doubt I will ever need machine gun like suppressing fire, so should I even bother? A well placed shot with my .40 and 180gr JHP's will likely stop anything I'll ever encounter.

So I am just looking for some lively discussion about the topic.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

I own several handgun calibers, but .40SW isn't one of them. While the 40 isn't a bad cartridge, it really doesn't do anything that 9mm or 45ACP can't do. Nowadays, a decent 124+P 9mm round is as good as any 40SW. In fact, the only reason I still keep 45ACP is for 1911s (plus a few others). I thought about getting into 40/10mm a while ago, but decided against it. Another nice thing about 9mm is there seems to be a lot more guns to choose from. I'd say go 9mm and don't look back.
    Ranger45 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Unless you're looking for a excuse keep what you've got and practice. Speed and accuracy come from practice.

I am considering the same thing only my current carry is the 1911 45. It is a little heavy. The Ruger SR9c is calling my name. A little lighter, more rounds...what's the downfall?
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

You want someone tell you it's alright to go ahead and get it. Ok, go ahead and get it. You don't need to have an excuse.
    Honestly, everyone on here carries different calibers and guns for different reasons. It's whatever suits "you" best. Some like a 5 shot snubby, others like a 1911 in .45. Some like a small slim 9mm and others like a 15+ round double stack 9mm. It all depends on what you are most comfortable carrying and shooting. It's not about how fast you can put rounds down range.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Never assume a one shot stop. Go ahead and break that mindset. When we shoot things besides paper with our guns, we begin to notice that the bigger the bullet , the bigger the impact. Take a pond for instance, when shot with a 9mm vs 40 there is a noticeable for difference. So, there is a distinct difference that is visual.

However, we also know that even with the harder impact of a larger caliber, the difference in a live target is not always evident. I am a big heavy bullet proponent. But, I also am a fan of shot placement and the ability strike multiple blows rapidly.

I said all of that to say this; there is nothing wrong with a 9mm. I carry one daily on my own time. Its light weight and smaller bullet are more than made up for by the capacity, ease of shooting, concealable and light guns, and terminal ballistics of a hot rod loading, not to mention the affordability of shooting it. So, in conclusion, I would say the switch is a very good thing.
    oneshot, Bark'n, rdpG19 and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    You want someone tell you it's alright to go ahead and get it.
    Not really. I am looking for people with more experience than I have to just respond to my thoughts. There is no right or wrong IMO. Just something I have been toying with in my head. One reason I want to keep my 40 is that it is brand new, under warranty, and I have $250 worth of really nice holsters for it. Plus, the SD40 is a nice gun. Just thinking out loud and looking for ideas/thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Unless you're looking for a excuse keep what you've got and practice. Speed and accuracy come from practice.
    Absolutely agree. But have you ever shot the SD40? It has a very different trigger than a lot of guns out there which does limit the speed it shoots and shoots accurately. Compared to others I have shot it is slower. Tenths of a second maybe and in real life it may not matter, but at the range it wasn't as fun as others I have shot.

there's nothing wrong with the 9mm; go ahead and get one if you want.

But, like mentioned before, accuracy and follow-up shots come with practice. With the proper mind-set and training, you can learn to shoot anything well.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I love to practice and so do my wife and children. We reload. However other than hunting hand guns I have all 9mm. Your reasoning is sound in my book. now you need to go shopping have a good summer.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Not really. I am looking for people with more experience than I have to just respond to my thoughts. There is no right or wrong IMO. Just something I have been toying with in my head. One reason I want to keep my 40 is that it is brand new, under warranty, and I have $250 worth of really nice holsters for it. Plus, the SD40 is a nice gun. Just thinking out loud and looking for ideas/thoughts.

Absolutely agree. But have you ever shot the SD40? It has a very different trigger than a lot of guns out there which does limit the speed it shoots and shoots accurately. Compared to others I have shot it is slower. Tenths of a second maybe and in real life it may not matter, but at the range it wasn't as fun as others I have shot.
    Your finger limits the speed and your ability limits accuracy.
    Harryball likes this.

And your wallet limits the amount of $$ you have to a practice and get get the skill. 9mm vs 40 cost is pretty significant, especially over time. Just sayin....
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Ballistic testing in gelatin

We all search for something quantitative that would allow us to compare different calibers and bullet weights. I have found that various ammo manufacturers publish tests of their ammo in standard ballistic gelatin for penetration and expansion. It seems logical to me that more penetration and larger expansion is a good thing, since the objective of shooting is to stop an attack by making a hole in the attacker. Bigger and deeper holes appear to do more damage for well placed shots.

Along those lines, you can see quite a bit of test data on the Federal Law Enforcement website, highlighting the Federal HST ammo:

Federal HST test data

Here is what it shows for 9mm, .40 and .45 caliber HST:

9mm 147 grain - 13.0 inches penetration, 0.724 inch expanded diameter.
    .40 cal. 180 grain - 14.25 inches penetration, 0.810 expanded diameter.
    .45 cal. 230 grain - 12.5 inches penetration, 1.013 inch expanded diameter.

All three of these look pretty good to me, and the .45 makes the largest hole, followed by the .40 and then the 9mm. I think any of them will do the job if you can shoot your gun accurately. As mentioned previously, the 9mm may allow you to get back on target slightly quicker because of lower recoil, and also give you a little more ammo capacity in a given size gun.

I personally use all three of these calibers for defense at various times, and my favorite guns are a Sig P239 (9mm), a Glock 23 (.40), and a Colt Defender (.45). I like these three because they conceal well, are reliable, and I can shoot them well.
    oneshot likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

You are very helpful. I love it when the "experts" flex their internet muscle and take a shot at a newb. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

I personally use all three of these calibers for defense at various times, and my favorite guns are a Sig P239 (9mm), a Glock 23 (.40), and a Colt Defender (.45). I like these three because they conceal well, are reliable, and I can shoot them well.
    Thank you for the responses. I was looking at a Sig 239, does it have a manual safety? That is one thing about the SD40 I don't like, it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You are very helpful. I love it when the "experts" flex their internet muscle and take a shot at a newb. Thanks for the tip.
    Don't cop a attitude. Look at what you're saying. You want to shoot faster, you blame the gun. You want to shoot more accurately, you blame the gun. What's the common denominator?

Also, I'm far from a expert. Just get the 9mm that makes you happy, for now...
    OD* and RTTR84 like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links