A light dehorn

A light dehorn

This is a discussion on A light dehorn within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got my Combat Commander back from the local 'smith. Lightly dehorned and night sighted with trijicons by Eric Zinn of EZfirearms.com, Mesa AZ. Great ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By OtoPA
  • 1 Post By OtoPA

Thread: A light dehorn

A light dehorn

Just got my Combat Commander back from the local 'smith. Lightly dehorned and night sighted with trijicons by Eric Zinn of EZfirearms.com, Mesa AZ. Great work and fair priced. Thanks Eric! I know the trend is towards smaller guns, but I do like the tagline that says something like 'A .45 muzzle says 'goodbye' in any language' ( I paraphrase).
    PICT0115.JPGPICT0112.JPGPICT0113.JPGPICT0110.JPGP3240157.jpg
    OD* and QKShooter like this.

OD*
    Looks great, he did an excellent job.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Looks great! Why did you not have him change the durlin MSH while he was at is?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Gun is absolutely beautiful!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Very nice dehorn job and very close to being too close. In short, I like it. Here's mine after being dehorned.
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Looks great! Why did you not have him change the durlin MSH while he was at is?
    To be honest, I thought my entire pistol was SS. (D'oh!..) that being said, I may yet have the Duckbill and the MSH done at the same time. Will I use the same 'smith ? Absolutely !!
    I'd like to thank GSmitty at this time for his recommendation of Eric Zinn.
    gasmitty likes this.

I like it!. I've got a 60-7, so snubbies have a place here as well.

VIP Member
    Thank you too! My 640 has since been to Smith' for bright polish and re-stampings. That part came out nicely however; they screwed up the custom sights and botched the install. Now it has to go back to Bowen Classic to be assembled correctly, and new sights re-inserted. That truly was disappointing and I didn't complain, as they were custom parts but really? It appears they attempted to polish the gun with the sights in place, and then realized they should remove them. Then they couldn't figure out how to reinstall the rear sight! It's a mess but such is life with customization.

My next project will be a custom Commander model like you have! I still haven't decided on the base unit but I'll be starting that project later this year. My snub is still a long way from being completed, but that's the hobby.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Similar operation

For some reason Colt manufactures 1911s with very sharp edges on the slide. I bought a Colt Defender about 5 years ago and the 90 degree edges on the slide were sharp enough to shave with. So I asked a gunsmith to dehorn the gun and he did a similar operation to yours, smoothing and rounding the front, back and bottom of the slide. I like it better now. I also replaced the MSH with a steel checkered MSH because I didn't like the plastic original, and replaced the Colt duckbill with a Wilson Combat dropin beavertail.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Nice! On mine, the trigger guard was sharp and abrasive too, so that got smoothed. The serrations are slightly rounded so no more cut up thumb from riding the safety. I wrote that she's now 'Lethality in silk stockings..' LOL. Too much Philip Marlow and '40's film noir, I suppose.

GM
    Soooo sweet! Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links