Got the itch for a new gun!!!

This is a discussion on Got the itch for a new gun!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW, what the heck is this???? I have had an itch to buy a new one and cannot seem to scratch it!!! I'm in a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Got the itch for a new gun!!!

Question Got the itch for a new gun!!!

WOW, what the heck is this???? I have had an itch to buy a new one and cannot seem to scratch it!!! I'm in a dilemma on what to buy???

My wife wants something to take with her on her weekly trips to the city. I don't want her to have one that is too complicated.... Just a nice double action squeeze trigger and go bang type deal. I'm thinking revolver... 357 caliber loaded with 38spl.... Small for the purse or center console in the truck, and, for me to carry on occasion when we are traveling together....... then it would get loaded with full load 357's

I've looked at Taurus, S&W, Ruger, even a Charter...... still nothing seems to fit the bill........

She really likes my little Beretta 21A Bobcat but we won't go there....

I have hundreds of rounds of factory 357 in the safe, several boxes of factory 38spl and tons of brass to reload for both so pratice and carry ammo will not be an issue at all.

Now to settle on what to get???????
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

2. Remove Ads

You didnt like the SP101? That would be my pick.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I'll second the Ruger SP101, I have one and just bought my daughter-in-law one...it's a tank.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you're going to stoke it with .357's, I'd agree with the other guys, SP101. You'll appreciate the extra weight.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Have the itch? Welcome to where scratching begins. Based on the requisites of ‘small for the purse, wife-like, etc. I’d lean more towards to a S&W 640 loaded with Federal 125gr .38 Nyclads.
    Attached Images
    jwhite75 likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

S&W model 66 snubby

My first choice for your application would be the S&W model 66 snubby. These are out of production, but many lightly used versions abound in the used market for about $500. The gun is heavy enough to easily handle .357 ammo, holds 6 rounds, has a trigger to die for, and is all stainless to resist corrosion. It is a classic of its type, and I like it well enough to own 3 of them. The gun also conceals very easily in a pancake holster because of its smooth contours.

WHEC724 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have a S&W 442 J frame airweight in .38. Shoots nice, a little heavy on the recoil with +p loads due to the light weight. If you are interested, lemme know. It has 16 shots through it.

Another vote for the SP101, my favorite revolver!!!!!!

If its for her, let her pick it.
    Old School likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

glockman10mm hit the nail on the head.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would buy a Ruger SP-101 with a 2.25" barrel and Crimson Trace laser grip in .357 Magnum.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Cool

My wife really likes to carry my 638 (ok her 638 now). We load it with any quality 125 gr. +p for her and she carries it in a Coranado Leather purse (I know but at least she carries it all the time). Like G-man said if it's for your wife let her pick what she likes and you can't go very wrong.

photo.jpg

Click photo to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd second the idea of an older "pre-lock" 640-1, then add an XS Big Dot sight (standard size) and you pretty much have the ultimate .38 that can handle the .357's when you'd like.
    Gideon

I'll add another vote for the 640. It has an excellent trigger than can be made even better with some tuning. The standard grip that it comes with feels great in my small hand (better than the Ruger), so if your wife's hand is not that big she might like the 640 better than the Ruger. The gun is a pleasure to shoot with .38 loads, including +p, and is very accurate. Any snubbie, including the Ruger, is going to be a handful with full-house .357 loads, but you might want to check out Buffalo Bore's Tactical Low Flash/Recoil .357 load. It is still very powerful, but won't punish your hand or scorch the earth in front of you.

It might help if you could tell us why you didn't like the ones you mentioned. That would help narrow it down.

I really like the SP101, but it's on your 'dislike' list.

Maybe check out the S&W model 60. It's a bit bigger than the 640, I believe.

If you don't like Charter, Taurus or Ruger, then that pretty much leaves S&W. Unless you want to check out the Rhino or the Windicator.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links