P3AT guide rod issue?

This is a discussion on P3AT guide rod issue? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a month or so ago I bought a P3AT more or less on a whim. It's an excellent little gun that I like a ...

Thread: P3AT guide rod issue?

P3AT guide rod issue?

So a month or so ago I bought a P3AT more or less on a whim. It's an excellent little gun that I like a lot more than I anticipated. I have noticed a slight deformation on the guide rod; the round part on the end (the part that looks a bit like the head of a pin or nail) seems to be shearing off a bit, or perhaps just flattening. This left the guide rod round with a flattish side the first range trip, and I noticed it's flattened again on the opposite side (I made sure I flipped it over after I cleaned it the first time I noticed it.)

So, is this an issue? So far the gun seems to run 100%. Did I get an improperly hardened guide rod or some such, or is this common and a non-issue. This gun sees a lot of pocket time, so I want to make sure this isn't something that could affect the reliability or safety. And, as always, thanks for your replies.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "Did I get an improperly hardened guide rod or some such,"

The P3AT guide rod is not hardened steel. At least mine isn't either. The P3AT slide is also very mild steel.

I'd call KelTec and tell them what is going on with your guide rod & they will just send you out another one - especially when you mention how many members on DC are going to be reading your thread and your follow-up report about their customer service which is honestly pretty decent anyway.
    If the P3AT is your pocket gun then I sure would not take a chance on your guide rod goofing up its functional reliability.

I can say with confidence...a simple call to KelTec will solve your problem. They are known for their customer service.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been carrying a P3at for about 6 years--I have 2 of them.
    Never noticed the guide rod wearing on either of them. I just checked the one in my pocket and nope--it looks fine.
    I agree--call Kel tec--they have great customer service and will make it right.
    I had a problem with my first one when it was new--I called and they said it could be the extractor. They sent me a couple extractors and springs(at no charge) but that did not fix it. They paid for me to send it in. I got it back in 2 weeks or so and it's been 100% ever since
    So yea--just call Keltec

Thanks! I'll give them a call Monday morning.

I did notice on the KTOG forum that this is not unheard of. One guy there claimed it's not a problem, but a phone call seems to be in order all the same.

Administrator
    One thing that I did was very lightly chamfer the sharp edges of the guide rod hole in the slide.
    That seemed to make it lots easier for the slide to run on the rod. That might help & sure wouldn't hurt anything.
    Friction is one enemy of all semi-auto handguns.

Quick update for anyone else who may have this happening. I emailed Kel Tec (I hate talking on the phone if I can avoid it). They responded fairly quickly. They said that if I made sure the flat side was the point of contact that further wear wouldn't be a problem. They also said that they'd be sending me a new guide rod and set of springs out in the mail that day. I've been hearing about Kel Tec customer service being great, and they didn't disappoint at all. Nice people, great little gun for the pocket.

Links