Want to gather a little info about Glock 23...

This is a discussion on Want to gather a little info about Glock 23... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for folk's input on a couple of issues with the Glock 23. I would like to add a used one to my collection. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to gather a little info about Glock 23...

I'm looking for folk's input on a couple of issues with the Glock 23. I would like to add a used one to my collection. However, I'm concerned about accuracy of a used .40. Do you think a well used Glock 23 would still maintain its impressive accuracy? How well-used? What is a good price for your opinion of a used G23? Any opinion of a used G23 is appreciated.

Yes, it would be a carry gun, but for more casual/outside days due to my heavy sweating.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I bought mine new in Jan 2000, it has over 10000 rounds through it of every brand of ammo you can think of. I have NEVER had one malfunction of any kind, and there are time it has went 500-1000 rounds without cleaning or lube. It still shoots POA, POI with no problem. I started shooting indoor range matches with distances out to 25 yds and have won my class several times. Its still plenty accurate. Mine likes Speer GDHP in 180 gr.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I bought mine new in Jan 2000, it has over 10000 rounds through it of every brand of ammo you can think of. I have NEVER had one malfunction of any kind, and there are time it has went 500-1000 rounds without cleaning or lube. It still shoots POA, POI with no problem. I started shooting indoor range matches with distances out to 25 yds and have won my class several times. Its still plenty accurate. Mine likes Speer GDHP in 180 gr.
    That's the deal-sealer right there!!! Thanks, Mr. White. How much did it cost, if you don't mind my asking?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Cool

Remember you can send any Glock back to the factory in Georgia and they will replace any part that needs replacing at no charge and you only pay shipping. I love my G-23 and it will make a great addition to your Walther .32. Just remember Glocks have a way of multiplying.

photo.jpg

G-21 G-23
    G-36 G-19

Click photo to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Can't go wrong with a G23, I have bought six over the years, four of which I still have. The other two I gave to a nephew & my daughter. I got started with the 1st 23 the year it was introduced. After my wife shot mine, I had to but her one as well.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    If you join the GSSF you can get a new one for around $400. You will still have to add in local tax and the $35 dollar GSSF memembership cost. I don't see many used ones for less than $400 dollars in good condition.

Bought mine in '91 and still shooting 1-1.5" groups at 7yds and there's a pic somewhere on here of what it'll do at 50 and 100.

I doubt you will find one thats been hurt. I think the g23 platform is one of the most size effiecient -for-caliber on the market. And, besides the g26 and 27, will be the least hurt of the models by a hi cap ban. I have owned 2 and am thinking about a used one myself. Between the 19 and 23 is a real mind bender on which one is the best.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

My first Glock 23 was a used one. I bought it from a forum member; it only had 1000 rounds through it.

It has been superb and accurate. The only problem is that my wife stole it

So, I picked up another. My second one is a lot more used. It shows holster wear a bit on the muzzle, and a fair amount of wear on the slide release. It's got a couple of minuscule gouges in the polymer frame. It was definitely used, but not abused. It's more accurate that the 1st one

I would not hesitate on another used Glock, within reason.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My Glock 23 (gen 3) has over 1000 rounds through it and still shoots like new. G- 23 is a great size and you can still CC it with no problem. Remember Glock is a great company to deal with if you have problems or need a gun repaired.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Impressive accuracy? I like Glocks just fine, but impressive accuracy is not a trait of .40 Glocks. A G30 would be my idea of an accurate Glock, based on folks I know who have shot them.

I don't understand collecting, but if I buy another Glock, I am leaning heavily toward the G19, the same size as the G23, but in 9mm. I used .40 Glocks at work for a few years, and some were problematic. I envied the guys who had bought their 9mm and .45 Glocks earlier, and had "grandfathered" them before my PD went to all .40 from that point in time.

Used G23

I bought the used Glock 23 shown below in the year 2000 for $575. It had been customized by Aro-tek with hybrid compensator, extended mag release and slide stop, night sights and hard chrome slide. The total cost in the gun was about $1,000, I would estimate. The basic gun was manufactured in 1995 based on the serial number, and I don't know how many rounds it had through it before I got it.

I shot it for awhile and didn't care for the compensator (4 holes drilled through the top of the slide and barrel). So I bought a new Glock 23 barrel and installed it, eliminating the "compensated" barrel. I have shot it regularly ever since, putting maybe a couple of thousand rounds through the gun. It has never failed to fire or eject, and the accuracy is quite adequate, but not as good as my Sig P229 in .40. I trust the gun completely, and have carried it.

So my bottom line is that I would buy a used Glock 23 and make good use of it. I think these guns are pretty indestructible.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I've got 2 x Glock 23s and I love them. As what people have said before the G23 has one of the best size to fire power ratio out there, and they are pretty cheap compared to other compatible weapons out there. I'm sure you will not have any issues at all with a used Glock pistol of any type. Last week I went to a gun shop near Raleigh NC and saw a new and used G23 next to each other. They were asking $489 for the new and $419 for used, I personally would have sucked up the money and bought new just to have the piece of mind that there will be no issues with the gun at all. If you can find a good used G23 at a decent price I'd pick it up in a heart beat.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    AIM Surplus Home is another source for used law enforcement trade-in Glocks. Remember LE guns are carried a whole lot more than they are shot, so the outward apperance may be rough, but the internals can be like new.

Since getting my 23 RTF2 last year, I carry it as much as I do my 27.
    Proud NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links