First 1911 - best choice?

This is a discussion on First 1911 - best choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Springfield Loaded - can't go wrong. Most models have the ambi safety, but the Loaded Combat has a single sided safety. You can take your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First 1911 - best choice?

VIP Member
    Springfield Loaded - can't go wrong. Most models have the ambi safety, but the Loaded Combat has a single sided safety. You can take your pick. This is probably the best value - not the cheapest and not the absolute best - but the best value in a 1911. I love mine.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Add an aftermarket short trigger, thin grips, & a flat mainspring housing to that 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Take a look at some Colt's while you're shopping OP. I've had good luck with them for 30 yrs.
    Mimics my experience. Might as well have the real thing.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My first step into 1911s was a used RIA GI model I bought from a DC member here. Got the gun with hogue wrap around grip, 6 magazines, and serpa holster for $300. I've thoroughly enjoyed it and it has been flawless. I couldn't ask for any more than that. If I had not stumbled upon it, I would have gone the Springfield MilSpec route.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Another vote for the Springfield.

I like the Loaded version, also.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I just scratched my 1911 itch with a Springfield Loaded Parkerized that I really love...wish I hadn't waited so long to get my first 1911!
    Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

If you are on a low budget and want a really good shooter, try the American Classic II by Metro Arms. That is the first 1911 I purchased and it shoots as well as my more expense 1911's. Here is a picture of one. You get some nice add on features at no extra cost. This can be purchased in the $420-$450 range.

I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

I've got Kimbers, Ed browns, and Springfield's. For the money and for overall quality go Springfield all the way. Lots of choices for your budget and what you want in a 1911. Also great customer service. You can pay for Nighthawk, Brown's and Wilson's but lots of dough for safe queen.
    Last edited by bigdog44; March 28th, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Forgot picture
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    I've got Kimbers, Ed browns, and Springfield's. For the money and for overall quality go Springfield all the way. Lots of choices for your budget and what you want in a 1911. Also great customer service. You can pay for Nighthawk, Brown's and Wilson's but lots of dough for safe queen.
    I have A Wilson CQB, True it's a BBQ gun= A nice peice to look at but i do but rounds though her. I don't have the round counter on it but i'd bet 3,000 great gun.

gtv
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaklands View Post
    If you are on a low budget and want a really good shooter, try the American Classic II by Metro Arms. That is the first 1911 I purchased and it shoots as well as my more expense 1911's.
    Another vote for the American Classic II... I have the hard chrome version, and love it.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Rock Island makes a 1911 with all the bells and whistles in their tactical model, all the same features as the 800 guns for 450, their shootable, carryable, and beautiful guns and well worth the money. The nicest thing u can get for under 600 in the 1911 model in my opinion
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'd go with Colt. A Government model can be had very reasonably, or you can go all the way up to a custom-gun (wait time is long for that). Colt's quality is good to very good, especially lately, it has Name-Value like no other which is important for trades, selling one to buy another etc. The Life-time warranty can't be beat and.............it's a Colt. Parts? everywhere. if you want to do bells and whistles, you're own customization etc. there are 100 years of Colt parts all over the place for sale. I bought a WWI 0918 3 mos ago for $900 - now they're being sold for $1200 to one for $1800 I saw. In 3 months! Would my 410K did the same!

I have 3 Colt Revolvers + that WWI 0918. All the guns were quickly worth more than I bought them for - and all were used to shoot.

Lotsa, lotsa, lotsa folks like Colts and always have. Puts an owner of one in a good spot.

For me it came down to a Rockisland Tactical for about $469 or a Springfield GI for $550. I went with the Springfield lightweight GI Champion. I love it. You can't go wrong with either of these. You may also want to check out the American Classic 1911 and the ATI 1911. Both of those are usually in the $400 range. If I went with a Filipino 1911 it would be the Rock Island.

If your budget allows, get a Colt. If it isn't in your budget, keep saving and then get a Colt. If the nostalgia factor is important to you, then you will end up with a Colt some day, so you might as well get it out of the way early! My favorite 1911 is a WWII era mix-matched parts bin "IthaColt".

Conversely, I was fondling the new S&W E-series at a gun show over the weekend. I initially thought "wow, this is kinda nice" and walked away. Yet, I thought about it the whole way home, all night, the next morning, ect...Then the next day my issue of Guns & Ammo Handguns greets me in the mailbox, and guess what is on the cover? I think that might be an omen....

We just got a couple of Desert Eagle 1911's in the shop and I was highly impressed with the quality of the pistol. Very smooth action and an incredible trigger. When I pulled one apart the inside surfaces were smooth with minimal milling marks and fit and finish were first rate. I'm personally favor the S&W 1911 and was looking at getting a second but the Desert Eagle has me thinking twice about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links