First 1911 - best choice?

This is a discussion on First 1911 - best choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Coltman 77 Take a look at some Colt's while you're shopping OP. I've had good luck with them for 30 yrs. Same ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First 1911 - best choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    Take a look at some Colt's while you're shopping OP. I've had good luck with them for 30 yrs.
    Same here. :)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I'm no stranger to pistols and have always loved the 1911 for nostalgic reasons. I've never really been comfortable with them because I have meaty hands with shorter fingers. Some of the controls are not easy for me to reach.
    There are some small changes than can make a 1911 fit your meathooks a little better. First, if you have short fingers, make sure you try a short trigger. So many customizers put long triggers into their 1911s that it seems now to be a standard feature on nearly all factory models. Easily swapped out by a pistolsmith for not a lot of money.

Two other things can reduce the apparent diameter of the grip. First is thin grip panels. Google "thin 1911 grips" and you'll find a number of sources. I'd guess the thin grips are at most 1/8" thinner per side, but the apparent feel to your hand may seem more dramatic than that. Lastly, a flat instead of arched mainspring housing may make the grip seem less chunky as well. I saved this one for last because this change causes some people to shoot higher or lower (doesn't make a difference for me). Also, depending on the shape of the grip tang or beavertail and your hand, the different mainspring housings may affect how your hand disengages the grip safety.

Just some food for thought.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for all the wise words folks. It seems that 1911 owners are some of the most gentlemanly there are.
    I have a tough decision and it may be a while before I can truly afford to get what I want, but I suppose that "buys" me some time as well. Keep the advice coming if you have something to add. I'll take all the info and opinions I can get.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

sgb
    My first choice would be the Springfield Range Officer, second choice would be the STI Spartan.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

taurus makes a nice 1911 for the money. surprised nobody has mentioned it. even though they are getting more expensive. most decent 1911s are all hitting around 7-800$ that used to be 4-500$. dont know much about ati or rock island except they look nice. i just got a norinco fro 450$ thats a very solid peice.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

RIA Tactical - Nickel

Have the RIA Tactical in nickel - great shooter and reliable after 1,500 rounds of various 45s - FMJ and JHP. Have not had a single failure to load. Used Winchester, Remington, Blazer, Georgia Arms reloads, and others. Good value for the money.

Springfield
    You'll get a very good gun.
    You'll get great customer service.
    And you'll pay less overall compared to many others.

And, it's pretty.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links