First 1911 - best choice?

This is a discussion on First 1911 - best choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm no stranger to pistols and have always loved the 1911 for nostalgic reasons. I've never really been comfortable with them because I have meaty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First 1911 - best choice?

First 1911 - best choice?

I'm no stranger to pistols and have always loved the 1911 for nostalgic reasons. I've never really been comfortable with them because I have meaty hands with shorter fingers. Some of the controls are not easy for me to reach.
    That said, I know that training can overcome a lot, and I'm not sure I'm looking to replace my EDC (XD-40). I am however starting to oogle and drool over the thought of adding a 1911 to the safe and having it as an option for carry. I have a 1903, so I really should have a 1911 to keep it company:) I'm not looking for a safe-queen though and don't have an unlimited budget.

So, what is a good first 1911? I want reliability and maybe minor upgrades, but primarily I want something I can have fun with and learn 1911's.
    I'm leaning toward a Springfield MilSpec or something similar. I'm also cruising the used cases at LGS hoping to find a gem. Any suggestions?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    My first two options would be either a Springfield Loaded or a Colt XSE, other runners up include the Colt Series 70 Reproduction, Springfield MILSPEC, Para STAINLESS Expert, or something from the Sig line of 1911s.

The new Smith & Wesson "E" Series of 1911s is also worth looking at.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    My colt XSE isn't gone yet I got held up and didn't make it to my LGS. I will own it for at least a few more hours. It's in the classifieds.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I recently joined the 1911 club. Based on the many discussion here I went with a Springfield Loaded Champion. It has surpassed my expectations.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I've really taken to the STI line of 1911s. To get started, take a look at the Spartan. For the price, may be the best built gun you will find. Just so you know, out of the STI line-up, the Spartan is the one model assembled in the Philippines. The slide and frame are made there, the internals are made in the US, and each gun goes through a quality control check at STI (TX) before shipping. Good luck with your search and finding something to scratch the 1911 itch.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    The folks here talked me into a loaded Springer. 'No regrets. Since then I've been feeding the addiction and learning how to tweak and tune, but starting with a solid platform was a good idea.

I'd also seriously consider Dragman's Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    I've really taken to the STI line of 1911s. To get started, take a look at the Spartan. For the price, may be the best built gun you will find. Just so you know, out of the STI line-up, the Spartan is the one model assembled in the Philippines. The slide and frame are made there, the internals are made in the US, and each gun goes through a quality control check at STI (TX) before shipping. Good luck with your search and finding something to scratch the 1911 itch.
    The internals may be assembled in the US. I'd sure not count on their being made here.

First and ony choice is a Wilson Combat CQB

Any reputable mil spec. Make sure it has the higher sights.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckinfavis View Post
    First and ony choice is a Wilson Combat CQB
    While that is a very fine choice and I believe it is important to own at least one wilson combat 1911 remember veriety is the spice of life! Wilson, Springfield, Colt, Smith&Wesson, PARA its good to collect them all!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have an ATI 1911GI which is the same size as a Commander and a RIA Compact which is the same size as an Officer's model. Both are good solid platforms that are fun to shoot and reliable. I got the ATI for $420 and the RIA for $400. Great guns to learn on and still upgradable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    While that is a very fine choice and I believe it is important to own at least one wilson combat 1911 remember veriety is the spice of life! Wilson, Springfield, Colt, Smith&Wesson, PARA its good to collect them all!
    I have sig, springfield, and a smith but beyond 75 ft Wilson all the way.

I am partial to Springfield Armory when it comes to my 1911s, and I would say either a Mil-spec, or Loaded model will fit your bill. Probably the loaded, because you are going to wind up wanting a lot of those upgrades anyway. And I think the Loaded is one of the best deals when it comes to production 1911's.

If you want it for purely nostalgic reasons, I see no reason not go go with a GI model, which are less expensive, but without the bells and whistles. I carried a SA GI for about 3 years before I moved up to a Loaded.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a SIG 1911 and Springfield GI. I would definitely recommend the Springfield line, since my SIG is a warranty replacement for an earlier GSR 1911 that was a total lemon. Despite being a warranty replacement for a junker, the SIG 1911 I have now arrived with an out of spec slide stop that failed to lock it back on the last shot. I had to put the slide stop from the Springfield in it to get it to work right, and even a Brownells replacement wouldn't work in the SIG. At the end, the Brownells slide stop went in the Springfield and the Springfield stop went in the SIG, which finally runs right. Too bad, it is very pretty and accurate but I only use it for the range because it can't be trusted much. Despite being half as much as the SIG, the Springfield has been drama-free from day one, and it's their cheapest model. Good brand.

Take a look at some Colt's while you're shopping OP. I've had good luck with them for 30 yrs.
    OD* likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links