accurate short barreled 45

This is a discussion on accurate short barreled 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe the gun I want doesn't exist maybe it does. I carry in the appendix IWB position so a a shorter barrel is a plus. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: accurate short barreled 45

accurate short barreled 45

Maybe the gun I want doesn't exist maybe it does. I carry in the appendix IWB position so a a shorter barrel is a plus. I figure some where between a Glock 26 and an M&P midsize. I have just discovered the 45 caliber and I like it. I realize most guns are more accurate than the shooter but still. I also realize for defensive purposes most shots will be within 7 yards. Ok I want to stretch a little further. I spend a fair amount of time in a rural setting and an armadillo may present itself at 25 yards. Guess paper plate or smaller at 25 yrds. Is want id like. Would like to limit budget to $600 including tax.

2. Remove Ads

Have you looked at the Glock 36?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have and its on the short list.

VIP Member
    I'm sold on the officer's 3" 1911 for this exact solution. ATI and RIA both make reliable weapons well within your budget.

1911's are naturally thin and ride quite comfortably and hidden in a good IWB holster. I love Glocks, but I have found this to be a much more efficient solution for a compact 45.

One could argue that the G36 is lighter, but the 1911 will be thinner - especially if you put thin grips on it.

hello,
    i'm new to the forum and to the concealed cary world. i recently got my permit to carry and have a glock 36 myself. I love the gun it shoots amazing out of the box and is comfortable to carry.

I sorta like the 1911 platform. Ive never really tried it though to any extent. Do the shorter barreled 1911 have the same positive reputation as their larger bretheren.

BTW welcome to the forum Jstevens. Stick around its a great place.

thanks camsdaddy. ive been reading the post and found alot of usefull info. I also agee with whec724 the 1911 are a great gun to have

I own a Glock 36, Glock 30, and Colt Defender. Of the 3, the Glock 30 is, BY FAR, the most accurate of them all. But, it is the most difficult to carry IWB due to width. 2-3 inch groups at 25 yrds. with the 30 are not difficult; and better groups can be had with practice. The 30 is just an inherently accurate pistol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I sorta like the 1911 platform. Ive never really tried it though to any extent. Do the shorter barreled 1911 have the same positive reputation as their larger bretheren.
    Sadly, no. If you think about it, the short-barreled version still has to perform all of the functional duties of a full size 1911 and in the same amount of time, but with 2" less distance travel-time to perform these tasks. But I don't believe it to be a fair to compare any sub-compact with the reliability of a full-size for this very reason. No matter what firearm that you choose, there is a compromise somewhere.

In my case, I had to fluff and buff, as well as put my ATI through an extensive break-in period before I felt that I could really trust it for carry. With a Glock, I gain that trust after my first trip to the range with it.

Happy hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by ejes View Post
    I own a Glock 36, Glock 30, and Colt Defender. Of the 3, the Glock 30 is, BY FAR, the most accurate of them all. But, it is the most difficult to carry IWB due to width. 2-3 inch groups at 25 yrds. with the 30 are not difficult; and better groups can be had with practice. The 30 is just an inherently accurate pistol.
    Have to agree with that.

Another vote for the Glock 36/Glock 30. The G30 is pretty thick but if you can swing it you'll love the extra fire power on board. If not, the G36 is a not too shabby runner up.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Administrator
    "Do the shorter barreled 1911 have the same positive reputation as their larger brethren."

Inherently there are a couple of reasons why they can be less reliable.
    They can be as reliable but, the fit and finish of everything is far more critical.

The breech face needs to be really smooth. It helps to have the barrel ramp & barrel chamber polished. The slide and frame rails need to be really smooth to reduce drag and friction which increases available energy for the feed. The extractor needs to be very well tuned. High quality magazines with well finished feed lips are a must. There should be no chatter marks on the disconnecter run...+ a few other assorted things.

In short it really IS possible to have an extremely reliable short-chopped 1911 but, it needs to be a carefully assembled firearm with attention paid to good quality control.

Look at this one (Springfield Armory micro 45) it kicks like a mule but shoot straiter than a laser.

Have you considered the Kahr CW45?
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links