Glock 23 Generation 3 or 4?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 Generation 3 or 4? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I sold my gen 3 Glock 23 a while back...IDIOT! Now I want it back. So Im looking for another one. I would like ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Glock 23 Generation 3 or 4?

Well I sold my gen 3 Glock 23 a while back...IDIOT! Now I want it back. So Im looking for another one. I would like to handle a gen 4, but cant find one to fondle. Ive heard the grip was somewhat better for smaller hands like myself. But Ive heard the complaints about the grip dimples also. I had no problem with the gen3 grip, but I do have small hands, so would it be worth holding out till I find gen 4 to hold? Any other opinions on the gen4?
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Administrator
    I don't care much for the gen4, and I have smaller hands as well. I'd much rather have a 3.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I reserve the right to make fun, point and laugh etc.

I've got small hands. The Gen 4 didn't feel like any improvement for me, except the mag release is a little better.

But it wasn't enough to sway me away from buying another Gen 3
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My son-in-law bought a Gen 4 23 last week. We went to the range and I shot it along with my Glock 23 RTF2 (gen 3.5). I could not tell much difference in how they shot. I thought the Gen 4 recoil would be softer, but it seemed the same. Some people say the RTF2 is too prickly, but I thought it was easier to hold than the Gen 4.
    Proud NRA member

I have both and the Gen4 is more comfortable to shoot, the Gen3 to carry. The Gen 4 dimples can be kind of rough on the skin. All the new ones I buy will probably be GEN4 unless I find a great deal on a GEN3
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Senior Moderator
    I'll stick with the Gen III...OMO
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll stick with the Gen III...OMO
    +1 I see no reason to switch
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Distinguished Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I picked up a new Glock last week. I had the choice of the Gen3 and Gen4 and I looked at the Gen4 for less than a minute when I choose the Gen3. I had already had the Gen3 in the past so I knew what I was getting.
    --------------------------
    Sig P320 Subcompact 9mm
    Ruger LCR 357sig
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009

Cool

I have the Gen 3 and see no viable reason to change.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I simply do not like ANY attempt that Glock has made to alter their grips and grip surfaces...Gen 3 all the way.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I find the gen 4 grip with no back strap a lot more comfortable then the gen 3. It's actually what made me buy another glock.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I have a Gen 4 23 and I like some things about it but not everything. I think the new texture is an improvement however I still put Talon Grips on it which are awesome!

The new mag release is nice.

The new finish that Glock is using SUCKS!! Can't emphasize that enough.

I have mixed feelings on the new dual recoil spring. I had several stovepipe malfunctions from my gun from the beginning. At first I thought I was limp wristing but then I finally narrowed down the problem to 1 magazine. The mag was the older style that I bought at my LGS and was supposed to be new however I suspect it was used.

After I figured out that I was only having issues when using 1 magazine I intentionally tried to make the gun malfunction by limp-wristing and could not duplicate the problem no matter how loose I held the gun. I still don't have complete faith in the gun because I've never heard of a stovepipe being cause by a bad magazine. I don't know if it was coincidence or not. Maybe someone more experienced can confirm this.

Since I stopped using that magazine I have had zero failures but I don't carry the gun because I'm still not 100% confident in it. If I had it to do over I might get a Gen 3.

Sponsored Links