Summer time carry, single stack .40? - Page 2

Summer time carry, single stack .40?

This is a discussion on Summer time carry, single stack .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just traded a Sig P239 for a Glock G23. While the Sig is a nice gun, I don't think it would really fit your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Summer time carry, single stack .40?

I just traded a Sig P239 for a Glock G23. While the Sig is a nice gun, I don't think it would really fit your needs. The P239 isn't really that small of a gun. While it is roughly the same same physical size of the G23, it weighs more and holds 6 less rounds. Yes, six more rounds in the Glock is like having another whole gun on you compared to the P239. Plus, even though the Sig is a little heavier, the recoil isn't any less pronounced. Around here, used Sig 239s can be had for under $500 all day long. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    You mentioned the PT740 and then it seemed to go away. It is a good gun and a good price. There are many Taurus flamers out here but I have two of their guns and have had great service out of them.
    Yea there are a few flamers. I think I have it narrowed down nicely now and the PT740 is still an option right along with the CW40 and PPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Greetings, Bottlerocket,

Can't speak from personal experience about the CW40, but my CW45 is one of my all-time favorite CCW's. I believe the CW40 is a tad lighter & slimmer, but overall pretty close to the same size. For those of us who are comfortable with a single stack, the CW series is just about perfection in a CCW. Since you specified single-stack and .40, I'll bet you a dollar to a beignet that you'd be happier with the CW40 than any of the alternatives. IMHO the lack of an external safety is a plus, not a minus.

Regards,
    Jim
    The more I read, the more I tend to agree with you. I'd rather have a long trigger I can pull through instead of having to worry about clicking a safety when I draw.

No input on the Sig?

Edit - Just saw the post above. Alright I guess that rules out the Sig.

I did find a Glock 27 in .40S&W here for $460 used which is right on par with the Kahr new, but not sure how much I'd like the width. Soooo many options, I guess I just need to hit the range with some rentals...

So not to open the floodgates to countless options for carry weapons as I am trying to whittle the selection down, but is limiting myself to .40 S&W simply due to the fact that its what I already own, stupid? The more I look around, the more other options stand out like 9mm and .380acp.

The choice to stay with .40 is up to you. It is difficult to get a small pistol but can be done (the walther I tell you :) ). If you go to 9mm there are more options. Pass on .380, too small a round.

As to the mag release on the PPS it is different, but very easy to adapt to, and now I actually prefer it to a button release.

All the above advice is good, but in the end carry what you shoot best and can still carry. I carry a double stack 40 (G23) or a G30 year round in FL and dress around the weapon, although there are times when smaller is necessary. In that situation I grab my Kahr CW9 (and would take the CW40 if I had one).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have decided to stick with .40 to supplement my USP-C, gonna hit the range and directly compare the PPS and the CW40 and see whats a better fit.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawboy65 View Post
    I just traded a Sig P239 for a Glock G23. While the Sig is a nice gun, I don't think it would really fit your needs. The P239 isn't really that small of a gun. While it is roughly the same same physical size of the G23, it weighs more and holds 6 less rounds. Yes, six more rounds in the Glock is like having another whole gun on you compared to the P239. Plus, even though the Sig is a little heavier, the recoil isn't any less pronounced. Around here, used Sig 239s can be had for under $500 all day long. Hope this helps.
    glock23- Double stack
    Sig P239- Single stack

Compare apples to apples. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    glock23- Double stack
    Sig P239- Single stack

Compare apples to apples. Just a thought.
    It is a very legitimate comparison when you consider that these two are the same width. With the single stack Sig, you don't get the benefit of the slimmer profile that you do with the other single stack handguns. So if you are looking at two guns the same size, why would you cut your capacity by almost in half by carrying the Sig? Not saying that the 239 is a bad gun, but in my opinion it kinda has an identity crisis. Anyway, the point of my post was not to steer the OP in the direction of buying a Glock, but to point out that there are better choices than the Sig. Sorry if my post was a bit confusing.

My PT 740 goes with me everywhere and it was at a good price too....I try to shoot it once a week or so and have had no issues.

I love my Springfeild Emp 40 cal. singel stack,smallest 1911 made,,,sweet to shoot thin and anbi saftey for all leftys...if you can go the thousand dollars,its a good choice... Heres mine

I carry a G23 pretty much all year round with no problems...good holster and belt can keep it from printing....but if you're looking for a smaller gun for a decent price what about the Kel-Tec PF9 or I recently purchased a Ruger LC9 both fit right into my pocket and are great for summer carry...Still don't think either are going to get more carry time then the G23 though, Love that gun and its reliable...Hope this helped a little

VIP Member
    Not to side track the thread, but you mentioned that if you can't hit your target with 6-7 shots you shoud not be carrying. One of the recent trends in criminal circles is multiple perps. If you have 3 or 4 guys attacking you, those 6-7 rounds start looking pretty sparse - even with an extra mag on your belt.

Before I get flamed, I frequently carry a S&W 640 (5 shots) with 1 reloader. I don't think I always need 15+ on tap without a reload, if I did, I would change my carry options. But when assessing a new purchase, it is worth doing the risk assessment.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Like you, I prefer the .40 S&W. I had a CW40 that was excellent in most areas. Great trigger, light, compact, fit my hand very well, and accurate. It was not reliable, even after two trips back to the factory. Normally I would have ignored Kahr after that but I liked so many of the good qualities that I took a loss on the CW40 and bought a K-40. It's been great. Although it's as heavy as a loaded Glock 23, it handles great and I am not concerned about the loss of 7 rounds in the gun compared to my Glock. It fits my hand and has the best DA trigger I've ever felt. Many have had good experiences with the CW40, I did not.

My son has the Sig 239, an excellent gun. Unfortunately it's large enough that there is no practical size difference between it and the Glock.

Distinguished Member
    The 239 often gets bashed for being heavy and low capacity. It is heavy, but for shooting the 40 caliber, that weight really helps to stay on target. So in this case, heavy might be good. I've shot other lighter 40's recently, and they all jump around more in my hand than my 239 - 40. It's pretty easy to carry a double extra mag carrier since they are slim.

If you are shooting and carrying a 40 now, the 380 might be shockingly light. It seems for me that many of the little 380s are very hard to be anywhere near as accurate as with my heavier guns.

That's my 2 cents. Have fun whatever you get. cg

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Here's my P239 40 cal. It's been shot very little, and carried even less. It is an excellent gun, well made, comfortable to shoot, and actually fit's my short stubbie fingers pretty well, but I just don't get it out of the safe very often. Have been considering letting it go.

surv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links