Summer time carry, single stack .40?

This is a discussion on Summer time carry, single stack .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, my first post here. Found it on a Google search trying to compare the Taurus 740 and the Kahr CW40. I currently have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Summer time carry, single stack .40?

Summer time carry, single stack .40?

Hey everyone, my first post here. Found it on a Google search trying to compare the Taurus 740 and the Kahr CW40.

I currently have a USP-C .40 v1 which I absolutely love! But for summer time concealed carry its rather bulky. I had originally started to look into a weapon chambered in .380 but I also recently started reloading. As many of you are aware, getting the right equipment to convert your press can be rather costly.

I am looking for a single stack .40 S&W pistol thats lefty friendly-ish. As long as I can get to the safety easily it shouldn't be an issue since if I can't hit what I'm aiming at with 6-7 rounds, I should not be carrying.

I have started looking at guns like Kahr CW40, Taurus 740, and used (since its not made anymore AFAIK) Sig P239 .40. Am I forgetting anything? I don't have a problem hitting all the gun shows and trying to buy used if its a good weapon and not made anymore.

The last criteria is price. I know there are lots of good carry-size 1911s out there, but when you start getting into the $1000 range, I can easily buy a .380 or even a 9mm with a bunch of ammo and all the reloading equipment required. So I'm really trying to stick around the price point of the Kahr. My only complaint with the CW40 is the long trigger pull and absence of external safety.

2. Remove Ads

The Glock 23 or 27, although those both are double stack, and lack an external safety.

I think the Sig or the Kahr are some of your best choices. Or maybe a Beretta Px4 sub-compact, but that is also a double stack, as a lot of the .40's are going to be.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yea thats what I kinda figured that most are double stack. I guess I'm just gonna go with the Kahr.

What about the Walther PPS in .40? Single stack and slim. Def in the price range. The only thing missing from your list is the external safety.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I have a kahr CW9 and the PM40. Both are awesome CC pistols. I carry my .40 daily and love it. Go with the Kahr and enjoy one of the best DAO trigger systems out there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I know you didn't ask this but are you sure you want such a tiny pistol in .40? The Kahr line of pistols is very nice but when people have problems it seems to be with the .40 version. I don't know if it's recoil related or if it's a design thing. The 9mm versions seem to run much better and are a little easier to shoot.

I have a CW9 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Cool

I usually carry a Glock 19 or 23 most of the time however when I want to go single stack for a slightly thinner grip I go with my Glock 36. I like the .45 round and the function of the G-36 is flawless. Try a few different brands and types and see what fits you the best.

photo.JPG

G-36 in Side Guard holster....... flat and powerful

Click on photo to enlarge....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

How about an EMP in .40?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Walther PPS .40 S&W.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Another +1 for the walther PPS in .40. Mine is my EDC and I feel very comfortable and well protected with it.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Walther PPS .40 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    Another +1 for the walther PPS in .40. Mine is my EDC and I feel very comfortable and well protected with it.
    Looks like a nice weapon. I believe I did actually hold that thing at one point but the mag release is what threw me. How do you guys feel about it?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I know you didn't ask this but are you sure you want such a tiny pistol in .40? The Kahr line of pistols is very nice but when people have problems it seems to be with the .40 version. I don't know if it's recoil related or if it's a design thing. The 9mm versions seem to run much better and are a little easier to shoot.

I have a CW9 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Im just really used to shooting the .40, I'm used to the recoil with the USP-C. I'm sure it will have a little more kick from a slightly smaller weapon, but otherwise how much worse can it be than the 9mm? If that really is the case and the recoil is horrible on a single stack compact .40, I may just be better off finding a nice .380 or something to carry instead.

When it gets just a little bit warmer I'll change from my Glock 36 to the Kahr PM40 that I have carried for several summers now.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Add me to the PPS 40 lovers, the mag release is different but very easy to use, works great for lefty's as well.

You mentioned the PT740 and then it seemed to go away. It is a good gun and a good price. There are many Taurus flamers out here but I have two of their guns and have had great service out of them.

Greetings, Bottlerocket,

Can't speak from personal experience about the CW40, but my CW45 is one of my all-time favorite CCW's. I believe the CW40 is a tad lighter & slimmer, but overall pretty close to the same size. For those of us who are comfortable with a single stack, the CW series is just about perfection in a CCW. Since you specified single-stack and .40, I'll bet you a dollar to a beignet that you'd be happier with the CW40 than any of the alternatives. IMHO the lack of an external safety is a plus, not a minus.

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links