Thinking of saving up for a new gun - any ideas?

This is a discussion on Thinking of saving up for a new gun - any ideas? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a SIG-Sauer P228 that was given to me as a gift. I have fired over a thousand rounds through it now, and ...

I currently have a SIG-Sauer P228 that was given to me as a gift. I have fired over a thousand rounds through it now, and aside from one failure to eject, it has shot almost flawlessly (that one malfunction was likely due to breaking in). I'm getting my CHL soon and after trying to carry the P228 IWB around my house a bit to see if it's size is an issue, it seems to be able to conceal pretty well without feeling overly uncomfortable. Therefore, I am seriously considering carrying it.

After getting some night sights on it, I'm thinking of getting a new gun just to get a little collection going. It's true - you can't just own one gun

Anyway, I'm thinking of maybe going up to a higher caliber, likely either a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP, and maybe a .357 SIG though the price of ammunition for the .357 seems to be fairly high.

I was thinking of a Glock 23, and in shooting a rented Glock 19, I seemed to be able to shoot quite well with it. I assume the .40 will recoil more than the 9mm, but from I understand, the overall ergonomics of the 19 is the exact same as the 23?

Are there any other suggestions? I'd prefer an autoloader to a revolver for now and am willing to buy used (assuming it's in good condition). Therefore, the more expensive handguns such as SIG and H&K aren't too out of the question. Additionally, I may want to CCW it as well so I'd like something compact. The P228 seems to be a great size for me, so something close to that. I personally don't like sub-compact guns as my hands are a bit larger making gripping them uncomfortable.

Anyway, are there any suggestions to get my hunt started?

Yeah the 19 and 23 ergonomics are the same. Go for it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Take a close look at the Sig P250 two sum. You could have two different calibers.

WELL...I just happen to have a P228 (which I love) AND a G23. The G23 is very close in size but IMO much easier to conceal, than the P228 The P228 has more metal on it making it heavier, of course in some ways. It is an excellent shooter, and if I had bought it first it would be my EDC. My 23 has eben with me now for 11 years. It has seen several thousand rounds of various ammo and NEVER hiccuped. It is a great CCW piece. Go for it. You will not be disappointed.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a Sig 229 40 cal,same sze as the 228 that I carry instead of my 1911,both guns have nitesites
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    Take a close look at the Sig P250 two sum. You could have two different calibers.
    I've shot the P250 - didn't like the trigger pull very much.

Thanks for your comment.

How is the Glock 30 for CCW? Is it too wide?

Perhaps a USPc or P2000 (if I can find one). I handled the USPc and it seemed a bit wide, but I didn't get a chance to test it to see how concealable it is.

Questions like this are very difficult to answer. There are so many good options. Just pick something to suit your fancy and have fun until you get a better understanding of what best really suits your needs and is practical for you.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Do yourself a favor and look at the SA XD40 SC. You don't have to get it, but at least give it a look, it's a nice gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I just bought a new pistol! while I love the glocks my last pistol was a Draco 7.62X39 AK47 pistol 11.5" barrel I put a 75 round drum in it and put it beside my bed. They probably wont be legal for long so buy them now!
    Glock 23 and 19 are both great choices but check out the 10mm's too!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Best to try many. I'd recommend also trying a S&W M&P compact.

You already hit a sweet spot with the Glock 19/23. Why try to fix what ain't broke?
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Links