Trying to decide on a gun.... - Page 2

Trying to decide on a gun....

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on a gun.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tegan Yep, I've found a few places that do private lessons that you can rent a FEW kinds of guns from, but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on a gun....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    Yep, I've found a few places that do private lessons that you can rent a FEW kinds of guns from, but no range rentals. I do have friends that have good collections so I'll be trying their stuff as well (they are all stoked that a "chick" is getting into guns LOL).
    If you want to try parts out our collection you can supply the ammo and I'll supply the guns. No rentals, no "formal" instruction just a day at the range with either Lima or me.

I have nothing to add on the particular guns, but I have another thought on your fear of handguns.
    The knives you use while possibly lethal have a purpose in your use of cutting food stuffs and cast sort of a benign image. A handgun for SD, has the specific purpose of inflicting sufficient damage, even lethal damage, to another human being to protect you and yours. The aurora is considerably different than that of a kitchen knife. Once you become comfortable, if you can, with its purpose, you will become more comfortable with the gun itself.
    oneshot likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The Colt Gov't Pocketlite has been out of production since the mid 90's, Colt is bringing back the Mustang to compete against the Sig P238 but the Gov't size .380 is going to be hard to find. If you have smaller than average hands (for a female) the Sig 239 may still be too large pending on what exact model you're going for, same with the Glock. My wife was never able to get a good amount of trigger finger on Glocks until the 4th gen guns came out. of the guns you have listed I would probably suggest the XD9SC but be aware that smaller guns are going to have stiffer recoil springs.
    Speaking of his wife, if you haven't come across her already through your searching, you should really check out her stuff. A lot of really good information that mainly caters to the female shooter...

YouTube - limalife's Channel
    oneshot likes this.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Of your list, the Glock-26 would be a great choice, but you have to go handle the individual guns and see which one starts calling out your name.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Yep, I've found a few places that do private lessons that you can rent a FEW kinds of guns from, but no range rentals. I do have friends that have good collections so I'll be trying their stuff as well (they are all stoked that a "chick" is getting into guns LOL).

First,Welcome to DC...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is a great way to go if no ranges allow renting of firearms.

I would also suggest, in addition to the M&P9c, (of which I have) which may be alittle less expensive than a Kahr, would be the Ruger Sr9c.
    Both of these can use the FS mags from their larger breathren if/when @ home.

Here is a link to a chart, 9mm vs 9mm comparing the different sizes of 9mm pistols @ Mouseguns website, a very interesting site.

Also, here is a website to cornered cat, a website specifically tailored to women and firearms.

Cornered Cat

Next is one from limatunes from here @ DC,,
    Limatunes' Range Diary

And lastly, this to keep in mind, and quell some of your fears/anxiety about firearms.
    They are just a tool.
    Much as a saw, drill, lawnmower, chainsaw, weedwhacker, etc,,,,,,,,,.

Just remember the SAFETY RULES and you'll be OK.

At the very least, remember these, and all else will be elementary,,

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

On the Brady Bill, Waiting periods and other licensing proposals
    "Get a gun. I don't think law enforcement can always protect (residents)."
    Sheriff Jake Miller, Brevard County, Florida,
    Florida Today,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

You really have to shoot them to decide.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Okay time for my ribbing of myself to start. I have Really Really small hands too. Small and XSmall sized too, I have yet to meet a female even that has smaller hands....

So first off handle everything, shoot what you can then decide. But also think about two things, one you will be holding the pistol with two hands, two still be sure to be able to grip it securely with one hand firing, three I used to EDC a Sig P220 which is a full size frame .45. So do not rule something out just because someone tells you its to big for you, or that you wont like it. Try it first. PS:I really like the Glock30, it has a nice hand fillingness but not too bulky. (But remember thats my opinion, it may suck for you)

Finally listen to opinions and realize this is something that you will be trusting your life on and make your own decision on it. If you don't like it for this reason do not let anyone talk you into it.

Oh yeah Limatunes is the awesome.
    Last edited by TerriLi; March 29th, 2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Hit enter by accident
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Thanks all! And thanks JD, I will probably take you up on that sometime! Not just now though, just found out we can close on our house on the 8th!!!!

I've seen all of Lima's youtube videos I think, she's a great internet "instructor" and covers stuff I would never have thought of (can you say....public restroom!).

I've read pretty much the entire Cornered Cat website, lots of great info, but no specific gun reviews, which is what I'm looking for.

One of the things that makes me uncomfortable with handguns is the recoil. I realize that it's something I'm going to have to get used to, and that it wont kill me. It also doesn't help that I had ZERO instruction on how to properly hold a handgun before one was handed to me (my husbands cute, but not too smart sometimes) and JUST before I started to pull the trigger he screamed "STOP!!!!" because I was about to break my thumb by having it up straight against the back of the slide. Scared the crap out of me, and now I'm sure anytime I grab a gun it's going to do great bodily harm to me. Irrational fear, and I'm sure I'll unlearn it, it's just going to take time to get comfortable with guns.

Still reading and learning with plenty of time to make a choice. No rush!

The Bersa Thunder .380 is a smooth shooting gun that fits small hands nicely. If you want a little stouter round than .380 and still be a good fit in hand and shoot smooth, the Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is a great gun. The ergonomics of both are great and they do not feel like an M80 going off in your hand.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The XDM compact may be an answer with the changeable back strap. Or you could look at the single stack 9 mm guns like the Keltec PF9 and the Ruger LC9 and even the Taurus PT709 as options. Being able to have a proper grip without rotating your hand so that you can properly reach the trigger is crucial. You may also like those guns that have an ambidextrous magazine release which can come in handy.

I suggest a Ruger LCR it has a nice small grip, little recoil with 38 special.
    It would be a great first gun for a beginner.

JD
    Administrator
    Thanks all! And thanks JD, I will probably take you up on that sometime! Not just now though, just found out we can close on our house on the 8th!!!!

I've seen all of Lima's youtube videos I think, she's a great internet "instructor" and covers stuff I would never have thought of (can you say....public restroom!).

I've read pretty much the entire Cornered Cat website, lots of great info, but no specific gun reviews, which is what I'm looking for.

One of the things that makes me uncomfortable with handguns is the recoil. I realize that it's something I'm going to have to get used to, and that it wont kill me. It also doesn't help that I had ZERO instruction on how to properly hold a handgun before one was handed to me (my husbands cute, but not too smart sometimes) and JUST before I started to pull the trigger he screamed "STOP!!!!" because I was about to break my thumb by having it up straight against the back of the slide. Scared the crap out of me, and now I'm sure anytime I grab a gun it's going to do great bodily harm to me. Irrational fear, and I'm sure I'll unlearn it, it's just going to take time to get comfortable with guns.

Still reading and learning with plenty of time to make a choice. No rush!
    Congrats on the house, a good class is just what you need, but don't stop there, the NRA Basic Pistol will help get you integrated, but it's really the bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The Bersa Thunder .380 is a smooth shooting gun that fits small hands nicely. If you want a little stouter round than .380 and still be a good fit in hand and shoot smooth, the Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact is a great gun. The ergonomics of both are great and they do not feel like an M80 going off in your hand.
    I'd suggest not going with the Bersa .380 as it's a fixed barrel pistol and the action doesn't soak up as much recoil

Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I suggest a Ruger LCR it has a nice small grip, little recoil with 38 special.
    It would be a great first gun for a beginner.
    This is often suggested and IMO some of the worst advice given to first time gun buyers and women in general. THIS ARTICLE sums up why in nice package by a female firearms enthusiast.

Now I'm not saying that she shouldn't look at a j-frame or other snub, but she SHOULD DEFINITELY try one before buying one, especially if she has not yet over come her shyness to recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Congrats on the house, a good class is just what you need, but don't stop there, the NRA Basic Pistol will help get you integrated, but it's really the bare minimum.

I'd suggest not going with the Bersa .380 as it's a fixed barrel pistol and the action doesn't soak up as much recoil

This is often suggested and IMO some of the worst advice given to first time gun buyers and women in general. THIS ARTICLE sums up why in nice package by a female firearms enthusiast.

Now I'm not saying that she shouldn't look at a j-frame or other snub, but she SHOULD DEFINITELY try one before buying one, especially if she has not yet over come her shyness to recoil.
    Well I guess you are the expert, but I think a LCR would be worth her trying, I found mine very easy to shoot.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    Well I guess you are the expert, but I think a LCR would be worth her trying, I found mine very easy to shoot.
    Most men that have been shooting for a while will say the same thing, but when you're the husband of a petite 100lbs woman who worked in a gun shop for a few years, you learn what works for most women. Most of the time they go for mid-size 9mm autos, the husbands that come in and buy their ladies snub-nose revolvers and pocket autos often end up bringing them back or the ladies secretly confess to hating them.

Tiny guns are great for carry, they are not great for shooting. They have little to no sight radius and don't absorb much recoil due to a combination of short barrels, fixed barrels, no weight, tiny grip frame etc. not to mention the heavier trigger pulls are not the greatest for new shooters. Sight radius is a good thing, recoil absorbing mass is a good thing, a tilting barrel that will also absorb some recoil is a good thing, something with enough grip to get a good grip on is a good thing, a lighter/smoother trigger out of the box is a good thing. We want positive reinforcement for new shooters, not something with little to no sight radius or possible sight picture, recoil that's going to sting the hands, a trigger that's going to make it easier to throw shots etc.

JD, using so much logic takes all the fun out of discussions.
    JD likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links