Trying to decide on a gun....

This is a discussion on Trying to decide on a gun.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes JD, using so much logic takes all the fun out of discussions. What can I say, I'm a kill-joy. <--JD...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Trying to decide on a gun....

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    JD, using so much logic takes all the fun out of discussions.
    What can I say, I'm a kill-joy. <--JD

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    My advise will echo JD's. I'd be looking for a mid size 9mm, such as the Glock 19 or M&P9c. Then, my goal would be to burn the rifling out of the barrel attending as many classes and then some informal range time. Once comfortable with my ability and being in control of a pistol, only then would I start looking for a smaller "carry" gun.

It will do nothing but make your learning curve a lot longer buying a tiny compact model at this point in your shooting journey.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was thinking about her extra small hands having a hard time getting a good grip and reaching the trigger on a medium frame auto like a glock.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I was thinking about her extra small hands having a hard time getting a good grip and reaching the trigger on a medium frame auto like a glock.
    A good point, but I think the other negatives of the snub outweigh the trigger reach.

Administrator
    Plus, small hands vs. larger grip is an easy fix. Its a lot harder to fix bad habits created from learning on the wrong kind of gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In no means am I trying to steer you away from them, but are you only considering autos? How are you planning to carry? In a holster, in your purse, or pocket (I doubt that one, but ya never know)? Since you are a little timid about firearms from your bad experience, have you not considered a revolver? My gf doesn't have small hands, but is looking at a revolver - due to their minimal risk of malfunction and lack of operator complications. This is especially true for hammerless guns. The negative thing about a revolver is the heavy trigger pull, though. Anyways, this was just a thought since I didn't see anyone mention anything about it before.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I used to own a Springfield XD SC and I highly recomend it. I currently own a Sig P239 which is my carry pistol. I really like both, either one will be a great choice. For you I'll recomend the XD SC, if you can reach the trigger is the best shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
    I'm trying to decide what to pick up for my first handgun. I was all set to get a Bond Arms Derringer, but then I stepped back and got realistic (I will have one someday, but I don't think I should be relying on it for EDC). Here's my list so far:

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
    GLOCK 26
    Colt Government .380 PocketLite
    SIG P239

The only one I've held so far is the Springfield. I haven't fired it, just held. Felt ok in the hand, maybe a little large for me (I knew nothing of sizing when I held it, but thinking back I think it was a touch large, I'll hold one again though, so I'll be able to double check.) I was surprised at the weight of it though.

I have tiny tiny tiny hands. (Think womens size small or xsmall.) My husband always makes me assemble computers and such because my hands can easily fit into the cases LOL.

The only handgun I've ever fired was my husbands Luger (don't know model) 22LR. I did NOT like it. There was something about it I just hated. I think part of my hate for it was/is my general fear of handguns. I'm taking an NRA course on 5/15, so I'm hoping that will help with my fear. I mean...I use super sharp deadly knives every day (cooking) and I'm not afraid I'm going to slit my throat on accident, I don't know why I think guns are different.

Anyway....Those of you that have a lot more experience then me (which is pretty much all of you...) do you mind telling me the pros and cons (in your opinion) of each of these guns, and feel free to give suggestions of other guns I might look into as well. We have a gun show coming up on 4/15 so I'll have the opportunity to "try on" lots of different guns.

Thanks!!!
    Tegan, give the Bersa Thunder .380 a try. I think you'll like it.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Ok I just realized I put Luger....yeah....moron moment. Obviously meant RUGER.

I would consider a revolver, but from my understanding they are harder (though not impossible) to conceal because of the wide cylinder. Thoughts?

Administrator

I would consider a revolver, but from my understanding they are harder (though not impossible) to conceal because of the wide cylinder. Thoughts?
    Not always true, but it could be. It just really depends on your method of carry, holster, manner of dress, body type and a bunch of other factors. The shape of a revolver is what makes the positive difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I do not reccomend an semi-automatic for a beginning shooter. The dynamics of shooting and running a semi-auto vs a revolver are so much different. Semi automatics one has to worry about stove pipes, mag failure, ejector failure, spring depression, slide failing to lock back, etc. etc. With a revolver all issues that typically arise can be resolved by a very simple second trigger pull vs tap and rack procedure. That being said I would reccomend a Smith and Wesson K frame revolver with a 2 or 4 inch barrel. Easy on recoil, good for a females hands, and perfect size round for power. Best of every combo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Try a Bersa 380. I have small and weak hands and I can handle the recoil well because of it's ergonomics.
    deafdave3 likes this.

Your best bet is to try a few out and see which fits your hand the best and see which you shoot the best if you can. You might also add the Kahr PM9 /CM 9 to your list or even the Para PDA 9mm depending on your budget. I have a Kahr PM9 and like it a lot and usually carry it in my pocket when I don't feel like carrying my Glock 26 in my IWB holster.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I do not reccomend an semi-automatic for a beginning shooter. The dynamics of shooting and running a semi-auto vs a revolver are so much different. Semi automatics one has to worry about stove pipes, mag failure, ejector failure, spring depression, slide failing to lock back, etc. etc. With a revolver all issues that typically arise can be resolved by a very simple second trigger pull vs tap and rack procedure. That being said I would reccomend a Smith and Wesson K frame revolver with a 2 or 4 inch barrel. Easy on recoil, good for a females hands, and perfect size round for power. Best of every combo
    I disagree INccwchris, either major type of handgun is fine for a beginning shooter. A new shooter should choose a handgun that fits their hand and is of a caliber that they can shoot well. A good option is to rent different handguns if possible. Another option is to take a training class and ask if the instructor(s) have any handguns they can try. My experience is that many instructors have different handguns that they are willing to let a new shooter try.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Ok I just realized I put Luger....yeah....moron moment. Obviously meant RUGER.

Kind of but the revolver has a more rounded profile where a semi auto is thinner but has a squared off profile which prints just as much IMHO when carried in a pocket holster. I have a Smith 642 revolver and a Kahr PM9 that I carry in a pocket holster and a Glock 26 that I carry IWB and I alternate between the three depending on how I am dressed and what I feel like carrying and I don't think anyone really pays enough attention to me to notice if I am carrying. I carry pretty much all the time and my wife usually has to pat me down to tell if I have a gun on me.

ETA: also being that you are in central Iowa and there aren't any places that I know of that rent guns if you want to try out a gun I have to see if you like it let me know and I can meet you and your husband somewhere and you can try a few guns out as long as you supply the ammo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links